Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
newbie needs help planning 1st trip

We will be picking up our coach in Nappanee IN. iIt is a 43' Newmar & we need help with ideas on where to go & what to see planning a trip back to Arizona.

We figure we will be leaving from Nappanee Indiana on or about May 23rd.
I know the Memorial Day weekend is the end of that week & really need ideas on where to be or not be on a holiday weekend.

Nashville is one of the spots we are considering along the way & not sure what there is to see & do as we take our time heading towards Arizona.

Any ideas & great locations to stay would be appreciated. Being newbies, I am looking for full hook ups & 50 amp service along the way as much as possible.

Help please
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

Check out Allstays-its a camping app with just about every campground listed. Pony up for the Pro version.

Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds App

Fri, Sat reservations are problematic all summer long just about everywhere you go. Sun-Thurs are much eaiser to find.

Plan less, see more; in every small town you will find much to enjoy!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are several RV parks in Santa Fe, which is one of our favorite cities. The old town rocks. Plus Taos is up the road and is a great day trip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

How full-timers cope with the big weekends or any summer weekends for that matter: Find a park that is basic and doesn't have any water activities such as pools, rivers, lakes. Then you can be assured of a restful weekend and easier to find a spot, too.

I agree that Santa Fe would be a good area before getting to Arizona. Santa Fe Skies is a nice RV park.

I hope you're aware that May/June in Arizona will be very hot unless you're in the mountains at higher elevation. Unless you really need to be there at that time I'd suggest spending time a little further north.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
We will be picking up our coach in Nappanee IN. iIt is a 43' Newmar & we need help with ideas on where to go & what to see planning a trip back to Arizona.

I know the Memorial Day weekend is the end of that week & really need ideas on where to be or not be on a holiday weekend.

Nashville is one of the spots we are considering along the way & not sure what there is to see & do as we take our time heading towards Arizona.

Any ideas & great locations to stay would be appreciated. Being newbies, I am looking for full hook ups & 50 amp service along the way as much as possible.

Help please
in Nashville...

- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
- Grand Ole Opry at the Opry House.
- The Ryman Auditorium (sometimes there is an Opry performance there)
- Tootsie's Orchid Lounge on Lower Broadway...all (well, most) of Lower Broadway is historic
- Nashville Parthenon
- General Jackson showboat
- Opry Mills shopping center
- WSM (AM) studios
- Bus tour of the city and star's homes
- Fontanal Mansion (huge log home once belonging to Barbara Mandrell)
- The Natchez Trace historic scenic byway

and lots more.

there are bunches of campgrounds in and around Nashville. three and fairly centrally located on Music Valley Drive. there's a KOA, a Yogi Bear and Two Rivers. of those three I recommend the Yogi Bear. but there are lots of other places as well.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
In Missouri stay at Onondaga Caves State Park, Southwest of St Louis.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post

First thing – is to plan on spending the week+ at the factory getting everything sorted out, as the trip back would be long and tedious. Live in it a few days, maybe even leave and go to a NO HOOK UP site to test it out, Park or Wal*Mart, coming back to get things explained and (fixed).

Between what you forgot and what doesn't work you will be surprised how long it might take to get the Bugs out.

First question is do you have a Toad? Will you drive it up or drive home Toad-less?

If possible just hang out with your new friends at Newmar – not a good time to be on the road with unknown issues, in a New Coach, you will be Amazed at how much you FORGET from the orientation you get at the Factory and how many things just don't work they way You thought they Did, as the RV world is backed up and overloaded on the First weekend of the Summer. (More than likely will be rainy and cool)

As a new owner you will get a white glove treatment, so take advantage of it NOW, as likely it will never happen again.

Been there and it is not one of the places I would recommend, but that's just me.

Google is your friend in google or bing maps just type the location and the word Camp Grounds and most will show up.

Help please
As will likely be the case most of us will offer our routes to your Home.

Mine would be from Nappanee to Hannibal Across the Flyover states on Rt 36 into Colorado on Rt 24 on around to the San Juans and then south Home.

Having been to Nappanee more times than I can remember, I have often just headed right out on Rt 6 to Valparaiso, avoid Chicago at all costs, then down to pick up I-57 to I-72 on to Hannibal then Rt 36 - good road to Norton then into Colorado on Rt 24 to Buena Vista - on to Montrose, Ouray, Telluride - moving to Mesa Verde - possibly Monument Valley - Canyon de Chelly and home.

Bing Map

https://binged.it/2kN3t3i

Hope this is of some help, best of luck and enjoy the new Coach,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

I would recommend joining Passport America for 50% discounts at many parks. Also on the holiday weekend I would make reservations now for several locations you want to visit.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags