Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Newbie with Class B: Chattanooga RV Parks

My wife and I are zeroing in on purchasing a Class B Airstream Interstate. We have trial experience planned for first week of November. Picking the rental RV up in Atlanta, and have a reservation on night one at Cloudland Canyon State Park (north Georgia). We want to drive to a couple other RV Parks/Camping areas to practice setting up and taking down the hook-ups, and also experience a range of amenities where we spend the night. Is there an "upscale" RV Park near Chattanooga we could try out? Also, if any parks have paved bike trails nearby that would be a big benefit.
Yooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We always stay at the Holiday Travel Park in Chattanooga. It's hardly up scale. The next time I am just going to stay across the street in a more amenity-sparse 'campground' as all we need is a dry place; if it rains that Holiday park gets wet - and the sights are tight.

I don't have any other experience there.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

You may want to try Lookout Mountain KOA. I have not stayed there yet, but my friends said it was a decent place to tour around the area a couple days.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
WVI

I don't know if its still there, but the Camping World had a small park attached to them. I was handy.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #5

The Chattanooga North KOA is excellent we stayed there Feb 2020 (preCovid)
They have great WiFi, the wife can zoom there and it away from the rat race.
I recommend a trip to the Tennessee Aquarium and the battlefields.
Here is my video of the campground
https://youtu.be/dXGC6bSIKco
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

One night at Cloudland Canyon will not be enough. it is probably the most beautiful park in the state park system, tying with Black Rock Mt. SP at Clayton GA

I have not stayed in the campground but have visited Raccoon Mtn Caverns. They have an RV park on site and I think it is fairly decent from looking on Google, Check Campground reviews for more information.

https://www.raccoonmountain.com/

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...ampground-2622

or use the RVLife App

A little further up I-24 or US 41 (but not far) is Marion County Park, 423-942-6653 which is on a spit of land that sticks out into the Tennessee River/Nickajack Lake right where the Tennessee welcome station is on I-24 on an island, the campground it on US 41 a few hundred yards to the east of that. Grand Adventure stayed there and documented it in this video https://youtu.be/jTq5Tv5SHwo they also stayed at Cloudland Canyon Sp but the cell service at their site was unusable for their work online so they moved to Marion County Park. Everything is covered in this video.

Charles
Old 10-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
One night at Cloudland Canyon will not be enough. it is probably the most beautiful park in the state park system, tying with Black Rock Mt. SP at Clayton GA

I have not stayed in the campground but have visited Raccoon Mtn Caverns. They have an RV park on site and I think it is fairly decent from looking on Google, Check Campground reviews for more information.

https://www.raccoonmountain.com/

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...ampground-2622

or use the RVLife App

A little further up I-24 or US 41 (but not far) is Marion County Park, 423-942-6653 which is on a spit of land that sticks out into the Tennessee River/Nickajack Lake right where the Tennessee welcome station is on I-24 on an island, the campground it on US 41 a few hundred yards to the east of that. Grand Adventure stayed there and documented it in this video https://youtu.be/jTq5Tv5SHwo they also stayed at Cloudland Canyon Sp but the cell service at their site was unusable for their work online so they moved to Marion County Park. Everything is covered in this video.

Charles
Raccoon Mountain Campground is a good option. Have stayed there several times. Close to Lookout Mountain Tram, Rock City, Ruby Falls etc. They are just finishing an upgrade of some of their pull throughs so availability a little tight for another couple weeks. The caverns are fun and the pump station area where they generate electricity by pumping water up from the TN River to a lake and letting it run down is interesting. There are a bunch of mountain bike trails in that pump station area too.

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
JakenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

"R Haven Overnite Family Park" in Rising Fawn, GA (just below Chattanooga on I59) is a beautiful rv park. Most sites are water and electric, but a few sites are FHU. Beautiful little park with a pond and pasture, with a little creek on one side. Friendly owner, Robert. Phone and TV reception good, but weak wifi. It is worth checking out and is fairly reasonable.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

Talking Chester Frost Park

Look up Chester Frost , I think its a county park. We took a look at it last week. Really nice on the lake sites, no sewer, but h2o and power. We will hit it, in the spring.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakenJo View Post
Raccoon Mountain Campground is a good option. Have stayed there several times. Close to Lookout Mountain Tram, Rock City, Ruby Falls etc. They are just finishing an upgrade of some of their pull throughs so availability a little tight for another couple weeks. The caverns are fun and the pump station area where they generate electricity by pumping water up from the TN River to a lake and letting it run down is interesting. There are a bunch of mountain bike trails in that pump station area too.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for suggestions. We have booked two nights at Racoon Mountain. We have one night left without a reservation, kind of on purpose. After we talk to some seasoned campers at the sites on Nov 1,2, and 3 -- we might get a recommendation for Nov 4. Practice winging it. Is this a good or bad idea?
Yooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, newbie, rv park