Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice surprise this weekend

With the tourist season in full swing here in the VA Beach area, we look for places to go where the tourists ain't.

We actually live in Suffolk, VA and the wife says "search for campgrounds in Suffolk." So I did, and Davis Lakes and Campground came up. 8 miles from our front door.

So we actually did it. After making all the jokes about the long drive and burning all that gas, we called, and they had one site available. We took off on a whim yesterday afternoon, and the place was much nicer than we expected.

3 Lakes, one for swimming, one for fishing, and a "catfish" lake. It sits on 80 acres, and I forget how many sites, but the ownwers told me that even in the Summer season it was very unusual for them to fill up like that unless it's a long weekend.

A big bonus was we found a dive shop close to the front gate. The dive shop I've been using is about 40 minutes away, and too busy for their own good, so finding a shop this close to home was great. I want to get my Divemaster certification, and my wife wants to learn to dive, so it was one of those weekends where the surprises were good ones for a change. We also got to watch some local skydivers, which I also didn't know was available so close to home.

So, Davis Lakes and Campground in Suffolk VA. If you ever need a place to stay in the Suffolk area, give them a try. One thing I forgot to add...there probably is not a lot for the teenagers to do, so if you are blessed to have that age group in your camping party, you might want to look elsewhere. If a lack of teenagers is something that wouldn't bother you too much these days, then that might be one more reason to check the place out if you get a chance.

You just might see us there, we plan on going back!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We used to live in Yorktown not far north. We stayed at Davis Lakes with a group in 2004. I agree the location is decent, and it seemed to be a reasonably nice campground. But in spite of having reservations for a 50a site, they had no site available when we arrived. They told us to plug into a 30a outlet in an entertainment pavillion. However, the outlet had a GFCI on it and would not work with our coach. We ended up having to use a 15a outlet in the building just to run lights, refrigerator, etc. And although they "discounted" our rate, we still paid $20 per night for the two nights. Hopefully management capabilities and attitude have improved since our stay. We never returned...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been know to drive about 30 to 45 minutes from home for a weekend. As long as you are camping, it does not matter how far you go.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yep! We sometimes run over to the lake and camp for the weekend only 20 minutes away, just to get away from the house. We could just take the boat to the ramp about 7 minutes away and then come back home but that is too easy. LOL!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Dmiles,

I hang out in Virginia Beach mostly and use all the local campgrounds. Davis Lakes is a new one on me. How big a group do you think Davis Lakes could handle? We camp with between 8-15 rigs several times a year just to get a change of scenery. Was up to Cozy Acres in Powhaten this last weekend. Distance, near or far is not a factor for quality RV'n eh? Good Roads to Ya!
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Joe View Post
Hey Dmiles,

I hang out in Virginia Beach mostly and use all the local campgrounds. Davis Lakes is a new one on me. How big a group do you think Davis Lakes could handle? We camp with between 8-15 rigs several times a year just to get a change of scenery. Was up to Cozy Acres in Powhaten this last weekend. Distance, near or far is not a factor for quality RV'n eh? Good Roads to Ya!
Hi Joe!

Maybe we will run into each other along the way sometime! With 8-15 rigs, that might be a problem if you all need 50 amp power. A previous post in this thread has suggested that they are low on 50 amp sites. I only need 30, and was able to get the last site that they considered big enough for my 30 ft. motorhome w/ a slide. But they said it was very unusual for them to be that full, even this time of year, so after the kiddos are back in school, I would be surprised if there was a problem at all. By the way, the site was huge and would have been fine, even if I had a toad. Here is a link to a web site that gives more information... http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...p?attrID=15412 Just give the friendly folks there a call ahead of time.

They have a really nice, big shelter with a huge enclosed grazebo that would be perfect for a group such as you mentioned. Sunday morning a church group was setting up for a surprise 50th birthday party for someone in the congregation. It also has a large deck with seating overlooking the swimming lake. All the picnic tables under the shed had attached tablecloths that looked like they are always on there, really a nice touch. And the place is kept spotless by the crew there.

And Ken you are correct - distance does not matter as long as you are camping. In fact, if I've just bled the brakes or done some other work on the MH, a place that close to home would be a perfect quick trip, just in case there are any problems. We were just pleasantly surprised to find a place this close was much nicer than we expected. And the skydivers and dive shop was a real bonus.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi D,
Thanks for the intel. I think I'll cruise over there this weekend and do a recon. I always like to check out a new location before we set up a visit. I usually hang out around Indian Cove, Little Creek or Oceana. If you use any of these places we've probably already met just haven't put the face to the name to the IRV2 handle. I'm sure we'll get it together soon. Thanks again and Good Roads to Ya.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote