Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by machman72:
I've got a good one for you. Virginia rest stop on I 95, directs RV's, tractor trailers, and vehicle pulling trailers to the front lot, and cars only to the back lot. The ENTIRE AREA around the RV, Truck, Trailer parking is posted no pets allowed, take pets to pet area at rear, so you would either have to pick your dog up no matter the size, and carry them clear across the lot to the pet area, or take a quarter mile hike around the central area to get to the pet area. I think this is pretty stupid on the part of the State of Virginia. And needless to say, most people just ignored it, and took their pets into the posted areas anyway. I am sorry to tell the intelligent folks in the Virginia government, but pets can't read, and don't know they have to hold it until they get to another spot. After being cooped up for a couple hours, and let out to do their business, they are pretty much just going to look for the closest grassed area. Use some common sense here folks.
I've got a little info for you...Virginia State Troopers are not known for their sense of humor, and if you are caught walking your dog outside of the proper area by a trooper be ready for what happens next. He will speak to you (if lucky) and ask you if YOU can read the signs, depending on your action you can expect to get an "invite" for a "donation" to the state...Best thing to do is JUST OBEY the rules....Oh, by the way I own a German Shepherd that I board when we travel. He gets to go to doggie day care and isn't cooped up in a RV all day long.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #58

Appalachian Campers
Doggy daycare is fine for some, but my pet is a part of my family, and the primary reason I own a motorhome. I like to have my family with me when I travel. And as to the VA State Troopers writting tickets, they would need to place 2 or 3 of them at that rest area full time, to be able to write out all of the tickets.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't want your pet inflicted upon me. I don't want hear it all day or night,
Now I have a dog in this fight, three of them. They were tied outside a 5'ver and left pretty much unattended all night. Yapped and barked all night. Now, once I take my hearing aids out and put on my CPAP mask I wouldn't hear the tornado that blows me away. However, nothing wrong with DW's hearing and they sure didn't put her in a better humor.

It is a shame that just a few sour it for the group. There are a lot of dogs in this park, none of the others have presented any problem. Matter of fact, their owners were complaining about the dogs that were barking.

That group was asked to leave this morning. Does that make this a pet unfriendly park?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #60

Appalachian Campers
No, it makes those dogs owners, bad owners.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #61
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Historyljc,
Yes, I have stepped in cat poo. Cat poo is very high in protein, so when my dog comes across it she tries to gulp it up. A few times, not knowing what she had I would dive down her throat and finger it out. It is quite a shock to say the least. Yes, I have seen cats at CG's running loose, and yes they did belong to a transient camper. Well trained cat, go out, do their duty, and come at owner's command.

No different than an unattended dog outside.

My dog is always leashed and always picked up after, including at rest stops.

But not all happy campers act like the majority of campers that leash and pick up after their pets.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No different than an unattended dog outside.
I agree 100%. It all comes down to the quality of the pet owner, regardless of the kind pet. Unfortunately, it's the dogs that are the more visible and exist in greater numbers than any other kind of pet.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I only stay in pet friendly parks. If someone doesn't clean up after their dog, I'll leave a note on their rig and if they do it again, I tell the management. It's unsanitary and a danger to my dog. I cannot IMAGINE leaving my dog in a doggie kennel. I did once when I flew to Portland, Oregon and the poor thing almost had a nervous breakdown while I was gone. I rescue dogs so all my dogs have come from the pound or puppy mills. Putting them in a kennel makes them think they've been put back in that situation and I won't do it to them. They are used to being with me, they are my family, and they go where I go. I take them on long walks twice a day, they have plenty of toys and things to keep them occupied inside while I'm gone. And most dog friendly RV parks have dog sitters that will come walk your dog for you if you're going to be gone all day or overnight.

As far as chaining your dog up outside - my pinscher lives to lay in the sun and watch the people pass by. She would rather be outside in the sun than anywhere. So if I'm going to be outside, I put her on a tie-up and let her lay there and enjoy herself. I may go inside for a little while, or go out and in, and I keep a close watch on her and if she makes any noise, she knows she will have to come in. (Then she lays in the front window of the RV and is an amusement to anyone walking by . . . .)

There are responsible dog owners and irresponsible dog owners - just like there are responsible parents and irresponsible parents. I am a responsible dog owner. Shame on the ones that make life miserable for the rest of us.

If a park doesn't want my dogs - or makes it so inconvenient for me to have my dogs there - I'll go elsewhere. It's more important to me to have my dogs be welcome than to be at a park that's manicured and groomed like a showplace.

I was at a park once and obviously, whoever was there before I was had a female dog that had tinkled on the grass outside the RV. A few days after I arrived, the grass started turning yellow. The park charged me $50 for grass replacement and it wasn't even my dog!! They actually knocked on my door, asked me if I had a female dog, and when I said yes, handed me a notice of being fined. I will NEVER go there again.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With all of the discussion on poor pet owners, the problem is that the ones that need to be reading this are not...I'm not even sure that they can read.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
With all of the discussion on poor pet owners, the problem is that the ones that need to reading this are not...I'm not even sure that they can read.
You're absolutely correct. We're preaching to choir.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Pet owners are just part of the problem. There are the "clods" that leave their trash in the site, dump cigarette buts in the grill or fire ring along with other trash, play loud music and think the whole campground is to bow to their preferences. Peole need to realize that this planet is occupied by a lot more people than their little immediate group and a lot of them do not care for the boorish behavior that the neighbors might be enjoying.

Just remember that you are not alone in this world and neeed to show some consideration for others.

Ken
Wow I'm so happy to see someone address the fact that there are more things going on at CG than dogs pooping..I'm a workamper and trust me I have seen people do some unbelievable things while they are on their "vacation" A lot try to stretch the rules no matter what the rules.
Pet owners or not. that is unfortunately humane nature now days.
I don't like to see pet owners being blamed for the downfall of the RV experience when I have seen grown men relieve themselves in the bushes thinking no one saw them because they were to lazy to walk to there rig to do so. Or how about the parents that let there kids pee free in the pool ! Or the guest that you explain the rules to and they get upset when they get caught breaking them. leaving there trash and having no consideration for anyone in CG.
It is like they believe they are the only ones on vacation and to heck with everyone and the rules...these are the ones that do not clean up after themselves or there pets. The pet rule is just an extension of the other rules and if someone is not going to follow the rules of the CG they will not worry about picking up after there pets.
It is like anywhere people gather the good the bad and the ugly.
islandtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #67

Much good input on this subject, pro and con.
If we have our two traveling dogs with us and there is a no pet or non pet friendly facility we just drive on.
If the owners, managers do not want our pets or would rather we not have them on their premises, we just drive on.
Someone else, some other facility wants us, our pets and our money. This is not, as they say, "Rocket Science", we just drive on.
Best to all....Jack&Rita
Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally posted by historyljc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With all of the discussion on poor pet owners, the problem is that the ones that need to reading this are not...I'm not even sure that they can read.
You're absolutely correct. We're preaching to choir. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right ON!
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #69

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Question: Do these people not pick up doggie poo in their backyards??? Makes you wonder doesn't it? I bought a neat little doggie scoop - picks it up without bending over, bags it too, so all I have to do is drop it in the can.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally posted by GraciesMom:
Question: Do these people not pick up doggie poo in their backyards???
Heck no! They train their dogs to go poop on the neighbours' lawn!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote