Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
North on I-5, to Oregon Coast

Driving on I-5 north out of California late September. . What's the best hwy to take west over to the 101 once in Oregon with a 40' and toad?

Then what's a good RV spot once on the 101?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

Since you live in California why not take 101 all the way up into Oregon and on to Washington. A beautiful, easy drive. This is not Hwy 1.

We only stay at state parks and they're all great. I recommend you stay a 3 places to really see the whole coast... southern, mid and northern.

Cape Blanco for the southern - you'll have a very private beach. Bullards, Beverly Beach, Harris Beach and Fort Stevens ae great for big rigs.

Otherwise, all the east/west highways is good for RVs.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Since you live in California why not take 101 all the way up into Oregon and on to Washington. A beautiful, easy drive. This is not Hwy 1.

We only stay at state parks and they're all great. I recommend you stay a 3 places to really see the whole coast... southern, mid and northern.

Cape Blanco for the southern - you'll have a very private beach. Bullards, Beverly Beach, Harris Beach and Fort Stevens ae great for big rigs.

Otherwise, all the east/west highways is good for RVs.
So If I'm in Redding, take the 299 west to the 101 and north from there?
Old 07-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

Oops... no, I was replying to your post & you wanted to cross in Oregon.

The California crossing best to use is Hwy 20. The northern ones are narrow, winding and some steep places.... very tedious, slow driving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #5

299 would be a definite no go for us.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
that's what I thought on 299. My dad use to say it was an 8 on the pucker factor.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:00 AM   #7

Just an 8?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Just an 8?

A 10 required a 'rock crawler' in Dad's book.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #9

199 from Grants Pass to 197 to 101 will work. There are some tight spots but they don’t slow down the guy on your tail with the 53’ trailer. It’s probably the most scenic option and you’ll enter Oregon at the southern border.

138 or 38 from Sutherlin or Drain, 126 from Eugene or 20 from Corvallis are all options as well.

There’s a short tunnel on 101 just north of Florence that has a low clearance on the right side. Keep toward the center line. There are also some tight curves on 101 as well as some sections of rough road with dips and such. Secure the cabin and use caution when opening overhead compartments.

Wildfires may dictate your route or alter your plans.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have taken 299 out of Redding to Hwy 1, at least 8 times in the last 10 years. Many times in my Volvo semi towing a living quarters horse trailer, and last August with my 43’Dp with a toad. Absolutely NO problem, other than the road construction delays. It does have some steep climbs and some moderately tight turns but no problem and for the most part, very nice, new road.
DO NOT take Hwy 1 from Ft Bragg north to connect with 101 !!!
I did it by mistake with a pickup & camper, towing a 2 horse trailer. It was a NIGHTMARE!!! VERY narrow and curves.
Hwy 1, North from where 299 connects is a wonderful drive !!
Safe travels !!
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your comments and information.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #12

My question is, what are your follow on plans? You can cross at several spots but where are you going?

To best enjoy the Oregon Coast you need to drive Southbound on 101. The majority of pull offs are on the ocean side, heading north requires crossing traffic, which is especially difficult during the summer months in a large RV, doable but not enjoyable if you want to stop.

My recommendation is to go up I 5 to Portland and cross over to Seaside, go north for 30 minutes to Astoria and then head south. The majority of Oregon State Parks are able to handle rigs of any size and provide at least water and electric. There are a few areas to watch out for, driving a large rig, such as the drive between Wheeler and Rockawsy Beach, down past Depoe Bay and further down near Florence but these are all fine as long as you are not driving like a wild person.

You can take 101 all the way south till north of San Fran and cross back over to the 5. You can get around SF and back on 101 but I don't drive it any further south than Paso Robles (our last stop is Lake Nascimento setting family.

This is a normal drive for us since we have family and friends the entire route. Plus we used to live in Rockaway Beach.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
My question is, what are your follow on plans? You can cross at several spots but where are you going?

To best enjoy the Oregon Coast you need to drive Southbound on 101. The majority of pull offs are on the ocean side, heading north requires crossing traffic, which is especially difficult during the summer months in a large RV, doable but not enjoyable if you want to stop.

My recommendation is to go up I 5 to Portland and cross over to Seaside, go north for 30 minutes to Astoria and then head south. The majority of Oregon State Parks are able to handle rigs of any size and provide at least water and electric. There are a few areas to watch out for, driving a large rig, such as the drive between Wheeler and Rockawsy Beach, down past Depoe Bay and further down near Florence but these are all fine as long as you are not driving like a wild person.

You can take 101 all the way south till north of San Fran and cross back over to the 5. You can get around SF and back on 101 but I don't drive it any further south than Paso Robles (our last stop is Lake Nascimento setting family.

This is a normal drive for us since we have family and friends the entire route. Plus we used to live in Rockaway Beach.
Thanks for the comments.

We're taking 199 from Grants Pass. Due to our schedule, we have to drive north along the coast, eventually get back to the 5 and have to be in Spokane a few days later.. We'll leave coach in a few different spots I've already reserved and use the TOAD for the sightseeing.

BTW, I've driven the 101 south of Paso Robles numerous times, all the way to Los Angeles. Easy drive but can get very crowded as you get into ventura and south closer to LA.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #14

It’s just as scenic northbound. And the sun, if it comes out, will be on your tail if you travel mid-day. We recently completed a 10 day rolling rally, staying at Gold Beach, Winchester Bay and Newport. On the travel days many owners found easy parking in various town to stop and have lunch. One owner found a pull out on the right side, northbound, unhooked the toad and headed somewhere. With 3-4 stays along the coast, you can easily explore the entire coast by doing short day trips in the car. Sounds like a great trip.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote