RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
North Western Campgrounds

I'm planning a trip, fall 2021 that will span Aug.-Oct. starting in Colorado going up to Glacier NP over to Vancouver area and down the coast. I'm wondering what would be the latest I could push back (further into the fall) without running too much risk of weather and CGs closing for the season. When do CGs typically close for the season in that part of the country? I assume their closing will roughly correspond to when the weather starts becoming an issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We usually spend a month on the Oregon coast, leaving about 10/20. Never a problem finding a campground until we get East. We do watch the weather and have been chased by a snow storm of two, but we have always kept ahead of them. (over 19 years)) Sometimes we head south ASAP. but not any farther than I/40.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Should be crossing into northern California by mid October, working our way to Arizona...slowly, reaching Mesa by Nov. 1st.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #4

Work you're way to Arizona down the California coast until San Francisco then you'll find RV parks open from there on. They close early in the mountains.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Work you're way to Arizona down the California coast until San Francisco then you'll find RV parks open from there on. They close early in the mountains.
What's "early"? When do they start closing for the season? Mid October, November? I suppose I'll just have to make some calls.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #6

RoadEye, check out this link -- you can find detailed descriptions of almost every National Forest campground, including the closing dates:

https://www.forestcamping.com/

We found that in Washington, many of the campgrounds closed in early September, especially in the Cascades. In Oregon, it was often the end of September.

Good luck! Let us know if you have questions about specific areas in the Northwest, like hiking trails or whatever.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Not planning on staying at any National Forest Campgrounds, National Park Campgrounds, or State, or County Campgrounds. I'll be in private CGs but I will visit the Government owned sites.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #8

Each RV park will be different. You'll need to start calling or look on their website.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Each RV park will be different. You'll need to start calling or look on their website.
What I'm running into is that most out there have already closed for the season and aren't in the office taking calls, so I can't find out when they closed. Some list it on their website, but some don't.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #10

I guess I do not understand your route plan very well. All campgrounds should be open in Aug and Sept - everywhere. There may be a few exceptions of course, but Sept is a great month to travel in the western mountains. Less crowds, somewhat cooler during the day, leaves changing colors or starting to.

If you delay the mountain routes into October, you MIGHT have an issue, and there might be some campgrounds closed but only in the highest elevations. The northwest is famous for their Indian Summers where Oct is a great month the be there.

If you get to the Vancouver area by October 15th or so (British Columbia or Washington - makes no difference) that means you have made it over the mountains (the Cascades mostly) and are at sea level. All campgrounds are open as you drive down the coast. If you stay in the mountains, you might be able to push that to the end of October, but would mean being flexible and watching the long range forecast. Travelling during the day would mean you would almost certainly have no road issues. Maybe cold nights, but day time almost everywhere should be fine until the start of November.

There could be some challenge in the Oregon and California mountains starting around the beginning of November (the Siskiyou's) but have taken the route down I-5 many times in the winter. Just watch the road conditions on the Cal-Trans website and all should be good. If you are on the coast, no snow challenges at all. But salt spray from Fall storms might be worth watching carefully. I hate salt spray anywhere near my coach.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground