Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Steer clear of DC as well.

Yes, indeed!!! Thanks
Bdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy2000 View Post
Stay off any "Parkways" , they usually have low clearances, stay out of the tunnel in Boston and the one in Baltimore if you get that far down. There are a good number of low clearance roads in the NE so check the roads out ahead of time the best that you can (Trucker's atlas, RVparky/Allstays, RV GPS and Coach Net has a PDF you can download that lists a lot of low clearances)

You will love the White Mtns in NH, we try to get up there every year....go up the Cog Railway on Mt Washington , the steam engine only makes the trip early in the day if i remember right then the diesel engines run up and down

Thanks for the info. The White Mtns look beautiful, can’t wait to visit.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
First thing to do is to get a Free EZEE PASS - in the North East they often Charge to use the Highways - and almost always charge you to Use a Bridge. -

In New York specifically the throughways often are closed to High Loads - old overpasses often are arched and not tall enough on the sides -

On the way to the Black Hills - Custer - have you Considered running up into Colorado - Just a thought to make it more fun.

In the Northeast there are not as many RV Parks and there is a LOT of Traffic - driving is not fun in rush hour.

Those are the Broad Strokes from a guy who has done the entire east Coast - Roads will beat you to Death, Not Smooth - Truck Traffic and Rush Hour Traffic is Wall to Wall - Bumper to Bumper, just not fun - Reservations are a Must - Wal*Marts are often not in what I'd Call Safe areas - so without a reservation - you could be in trouble, in the Country - not nearly as Bad but still be carefull.

With all the Above - Upstate New York and Connecticut are actually often Almost Wild and Beautiful, and if traveled in the right time and Season can be really Memorable.

Best of Luck,

Thanks for your input, yes, I always consider going to Colorado anytime I go anywhere!![emoji2][emoji2]. Our son settled in CT after graduating from West Point (got married to a CT sweetheart) so we don’t get out to Colorado as much as I would like. We have traveled many places in and around CT, but there are many places yet to see. We have not yet taken our 5th wheel into the northeast, but look forward to it.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #18

Much more traffic & going through old towns which did not have cars in mind when the town was founded.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
If your travels take you thru New York, I would recommend stopping at:
Niagara Falls, Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen State Park and anywhere in the Finger Lakes area. Sampson State Park is a nice park from which to tour the Finger Lakes area. In upper NY, the Adirondacks can't be beat. Lake Placid is a nice area to tour around. Home of 2 Winter Olympics.
The New York State Thruway, I90, can get expensive toll wise. An alternative would be I86 across the bottom of the state, no tolls. From there you can travel up into the Finger Lakes.
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavis View Post
We are planning a trip this summer from Texas to Mt Rushmore across to St Ignace, MI, then to Mt Washington area in New Hampshire down to Bristol, CT then back to Texas, what are the major concerns for pulling a 40’ 5th wheel in the northeast besides staying away from New York City?
If you list the route you planned I can help.
I’ve been all over the northeast in my RV in the past 20 years.
List the roads like
I90 to I 495 to I 90.
I have tons of tips for all of the northeast
Jim
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel