Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #1

Northeast travel

We are planning a trip this summer from Texas to Mt Rushmore across to St Ignace, MI, then to Mt Washington area in New Hampshire down to Bristol, CT then back to Texas, what are the major concerns for pulling a 40’ 5th wheel in the northeast besides staying away from New York City?
Bdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steer clear of DC as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #3

Should have no issues. We spend part of the summer each year in the NE we are a total of 65' long. Only thing I'd caution you on is checking the voltage at the CG's you stop at. Many of the CG's have older electric infrastructure that is challenged on hot summer days when everyone runs their AC. More than once, I've had to leave a CG to find one that had better power. I now have a Progressive EMS as well as a Hughes autoformer to help with these situations.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #4

NE

Stay off any "Parkways" , they usually have low clearances, stay out of the tunnel in Boston and the one in Baltimore if you get that far down. There are a good number of low clearance roads in the NE so check the roads out ahead of time the best that you can (Trucker's atlas, RVparky/Allstays, RV GPS and Coach Net has a PDF you can download that lists a lot of low clearances)

You will love the White Mtns in NH, we try to get up there every year....go up the Cog Railway on Mt Washington , the steam engine only makes the trip early in the day if i remember right then the diesel engines run up and down
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavis View Post
We are planning a trip this summer from Texas to

Mt Rushmore across to

St Ignace, MI, then to

Mt Washington area in New Hampshire down to

Bristol, CT then back to

Texas,

what are the major concerns for pulling a 40’ 5th wheel in the northeast besides staying away from New York City?
First thing to do is to get a Free EZEE PASS - in the North East they often Charge to use the Highways - and almost always charge you to Use a Bridge. -

In New York specifically the throughways often are closed to High Loads - old overpasses often are arched and not tall enough on the sides -

On the way to the Black Hills - Custer - have you Considered running up into Colorado - Just a thought to make it more fun.

In the Northeast there are not as many RV Parks and there is a LOT of Traffic - driving is not fun in rush hour.

Those are the Broad Strokes from a guy who has done the entire east Coast - Roads will beat you to Death, Not Smooth - Truck Traffic and Rush Hour Traffic is Wall to Wall - Bumper to Bumper, just not fun - Reservations are a Must - Wal*Marts are often not in what I'd Call Safe areas - so without a reservation - you could be in trouble, in the Country - not nearly as Bad but still be carefull.

With all the Above - Upstate New York and Connecticut are actually often Almost Wild and Beautiful, and if traveled in the right time and Season can be really Memorable.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #6

Major highways in NH mostly run north-south. Coming from the west to the WMNF area you may end up coming across MA and going north into NH or come south from Canada.

Our favorite campground in the WMNF area is https://franstedcampground.com/. If you prefer larger campgrounds, you might like the KOA off rt302.

When going from NH to CT, avoid the rt95 coastal route. Rt3 out of NH to RT495 in MA to RT90 to Rt84 into CT avoids the Boston metro area. RT3-RT495 junction and RT495-Rt90 junction all have rush hour traffic in normal times (1-2 hours either side of 9am and 5pm).
Old 03-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #7

Do you plan on going to the coast? The White Mountains put you close to Maine... I recommend reservations for the Northeast. The camping season is short so the best sites and campgrounds get booked early. Will you have kids with you?
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy2000 View Post
Stay off any "Parkways" , they usually have low clearances,
Especially anything labeled "parkway" in NY. Not only can't you fit under the overpasses, you're not allowed. Passenger cars and light trucks only. Nothing in tow.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever measured the actual height of your RV?

Good thing to know, especially back east.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Having lived in Ct most of my life and driving a 41’ motorhome pulling a crew cab pickup I can say that you will have little to worry about. I would suggest getting a good “truckers” version GPS. It has saved me more than once. As others have said, stay off the parkways, especially in Ct. stay way clear of NYC and the GW bridge. Maneuvering with a fifth wheel will be a piece of cake pretty much anywhere. I also tow a 40’ fifth wheel horse trailer and have been to remote farms all over New England and early encounter roads that are highly challenging.

Enjoy the adventure!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Having lived in Ct most of my life and driving a 41’ motorhome pulling a crew cab pickup I can say that you will have little to worry about. I would suggest getting a good “truckers” version GPS. It has saved me more than once. As others have said, stay off the parkways, especially in Ct. stay way clear of NYC and the GW bridge. Maneuvering with a fifth wheel will be a piece of cake pretty much anywhere. I also tow a 40’ fifth wheel horse trailer and have been to remote farms all over New England and early encounter roads that are highly challenging.

Enjoy the adventure!

Thanks for the reply, our son actually lives in CT and we have been lots of places on the northeast, but not yet with our 5th wheel. I am aware that there are a lot of low bridges and have been to NYC enough to know I will detour 500 miles to skirt the city!![emoji3]. We got caught there one time at 5:00 pm on a Friday going across the GW Bridge, never again!!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever measured the actual height of your RV?

Good thing to know, especially back east.

Not yet, but I will before we leave. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
Do you plan on going to the coast? The White Mountains put you close to Maine... I recommend reservations for the Northeast. The camping season is short so the best sites and campgrounds get booked early. Will you have kids with you?

No kids. We went to Maine 3 years ago and loved it, we will go back sometime with our RV and spend more time. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgoetz View Post
Major highways in NH mostly run north-south. Coming from the west to the WMNF area you may end up coming across MA and going north into NH or come south from Canada.

Our favorite campground in the WMNF area is https://franstedcampground.com/. If you prefer larger campgrounds, you might like the KOA off rt302.

When going from NH to CT, avoid the rt95 coastal route. Rt3 out of NH to RT495 in MA to RT90 to Rt84 into CT avoids the Boston metro area. RT3-RT495 junction and RT495-Rt90 junction all have rush hour traffic in normal times (1-2 hours either side of 9am and 5pm).

Good info, thanks

Tags
travel