Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Northern Georgia n February

Hi,

We live in Michigan and both still work. Next February we would like to get away from here for a month to somewhere warmer and work remote half time and half time vacation.

We will have the flexibility with our dates and if the weather is bad can postphone.

I am looking for somewhere that would have a min day time temp of 50f but not crazy amounts of rain. We would work on bad weather days. We are fine with night time temps down to the mid 20's.

As we will only be away only for a month I am trying to keep the drive as short as possible (ok with 800miles each way). A buddy recommended northern Georgia.

In general is this doable or would I need to go much further south?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Depends on what the definition of northern is. We live in NE Georgia south of I-85 and have some pretty cold weather in February. In the mountainous areas (Blairsville, Hiawassee, Clayton area) you will find darn cold weather.
I might suggest you head a bit further South to around the Macon, Perry area.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

Savannah.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Depends on what the definition of northern is. We live in NE Georgia south of I-85 and have some pretty cold weather in February. In the mountainous areas (Blairsville, Hiawassee, Clayton area) you will find darn cold weather.
I might suggest you head a bit further South to around the Macon, Perry area.
Thanks Doc,

I have never visited Georgia so do not know a whole about the areas besides what I see on the TV (I am from Europe).

I looked at Macon and it is definitely doable distance wise.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Savannah.
Thanks Steve,

Checked out google maps and its doable also.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

We live in Michigan and both still work. Next February we would like to get away from here for a month to somewhere warmer and work remote half time and half time vacation.

We will have the flexibility with our dates and if the weather is bad can postphone.

I am looking for somewhere that would have a min day time temp of 50f but not crazy amounts of rain. We would work on bad weather days. We are fine with night time temps down to the mid 20's.

As we will only be away only for a month I am trying to keep the drive as short as possible (ok with 800miles each way). A buddy recommended northern Georgia.

In general is this doable or would I need to go much further south?

Thanks,
Expect cold, rain, and dreary in No. Ga.

Check the avg temps for where you want to go.

Going straight down to the Gulf might be better.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

1000 miles to Gulf Shores, Alabama from Jackson, MI. Many winter RVers there. Gulf State Park is very nice. Excellent seafood bought off the boats and lots to do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #8

The campground we stay in N GA closes Dec 1 for 4 months doing us a favor and making us go south. 800 miles is 2 days, so is 1200 miles which will give you nicer weather. Guess anything is better than MI but not N GA in winter...great place for 8 months.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Savannah.
www.riversendcampground.com
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #10

Another place you may like, if you like nature, is Waycross Georgia. It's right on the northern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp. I've never camped there so I can't help with any campgrounds but I would like to go there one of these days.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Another place you may like, if you like nature, is Waycross Georgia. It's right on the northern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp. I've never camped there so I can't help with any campgrounds but I would like to go there one of these days.
Funny that you should mention that. We came through that area this past weekend and, while we didn't see any RV parks around Waycross, we did see this gem in Folkston; just north of the St. Mary River:

www.jennyridgervpark.com

They looked pretty well full for the weekend.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #12

Thanks all,

Great info here.:-)

Gulf Shores is definitely an option, its 1100 miles. I grew up near the Atlantic so staying on the Gulf would be great.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

Charleston, Savannah, Macon, Albany are fairly temperate. North Georgia will get you frequent below-freezing, a bit of snow and a bit of ice in a normal year.

And yes, the Foley/Gulf Shores area would be very nice.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:30 AM   #14

Sounds good
We could do 2 weeks at the gulf coast and visits a few places for a week either side.

This really is a trip to see how we get on working remote in the coach for a month. If work suffers we don't be able to do for such long time frames. If it was 3 weeks in summer we would just take vacation. But not in winter as will gobble up our vacation quickly..