Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Northern IN to Yellowstone

We will be at the Newmar Factory in early July for a week or so, and then headed to Yellowstone via a rambling path. We have to be in Yellowstone on August 27, which means we'll have roughly 5 weeks for the trip. The biggest waypoint we are planning for is Rapid City and Badlands, but otherwise we're looking for ideas. I figure roughly 300 miles per hop should get us there right on time since we can only travel on the weekends, but that does mean we have a week to stay in each place and explore.

I figure we need 2 or 3 waypoints between Nappanee and Rapid City, and maybe 1 between there and Headwaters where we're staying. Whatcha got?
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Northern IN to Yellowstone

Devil's Tower? Little Bighorn battlefield? Grand Teton? Mount Rushmore?
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post

We will be at the Newmar Factory in early July for a week or so, and then headed

to Yellowstone

via a rambling path.

We have to be in Yellowstone on August 27, which means we'll have roughly

5 weeks for the trip. The biggest waypoint we are planning for is

Rapid City and

Badlands, but otherwise we're looking for ideas. I figure roughly

300 miles per hop should get us there right on time since we can only travel on the weekends, but that does mean we have a week to stay in each place and explore.

I figure we need

2 or
3 waypoints between

Nappanee and

Rapid City, and maybe

1 between there and Headwaters where we're staying. Whatcha got?
Nappanee to Yellowstone - Traveling in July and August -- Might be the Hottest time of the Year - have you thought about just heading to the Mountains of Colorado in 4-5 days out of Nappanee, getting into the Elevation/Mountains and enjoying Cool Crisp Nights and some Beautiful country before you head to YNP? Just a thought/Alternative to the 5 weeks to Yellowstone.

But if I were doing the drive IMHO, the drive to Badlands is just that a Drive, a long, long, long, drive. Then a couple of Hours, sorry but even though I've been 6-8 times, I've never felt the need to stay longer than the drive through. (But that's ME)

Custer/Mt. Rushmore is a good week - Custer State Park - Jewel and Wind Caves NP's - Crazy Horse - Mt Rushmore - Needles - Sylvan Lake - Black Hills are all just special, so if not during a heat spell this is a great spot to spend some time.

Then Devils Tower - Cody - Red Lodge - Beartooth and Chief Joseph HWY - Wind River Canyon - all are great spots to spend time, so let's say another week.

So now in MY mind we still have 3? weeks? - if so then the Mountains are calling - either Glacier NP or the Rockies - let's say Glacier win's the coin toss. so we have 4 days on the west side couple days at Flathead Lake - 4-5 days in the park maybe a 4-5 days in Canada, with a night in the/a lodge or two just because they are so special.

Now back down to YNP spend your two - three weeks there and you are ready to Head to Colorado to Enjoy the Aspen and Fall for the last 10 days of September, looks like this -- https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg This will be very active as you will work one or two passes trying to follow the Unbelievable Progression of the Aspen - Indepndence Pass - San Juans - Maroon Bells.

That's how I'd attack your summer out of Nappanee, but that's just me, it's a Really Big Country, sooooo many choices, so little time, never, never any time to waste!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Nappanee to Yellowstone - Traveling in July and August -- Might be the Hottest time of the Year - have you thought about just heading to the Mountains of Colorado in 4-5 days out of Nappanee, getting into the Elevation/Mountains and enjoying Cool Crisp Nights and some Beautiful country before you head to YNP? Just a thought/Alternative to the 5 weeks to Yellowstone.
The thought did occur to us, since Peggy's sister lives in Longmont CO, but I think the plan will be to visit them after spending some time in the north. For this leg we want to stick to the northern route.

Quote:
But if I were doing the drive IMHO, the drive to Badlands is just that a Drive, a long, long, long, drive. Then a couple of Hours, sorry but even though I've been 6-8 times, I've never felt the need to stay longer than the drive through. (But that's ME)

Custer/Mt. Rushmore is a good week - Custer State Park - Jewel and Wind Caves NP's - Crazy Horse - Mt Rushmore - Needles - Sylvan Lake - Black Hills are all just special, so if not during a heat spell this is a great spot to spend some time.

Then Devils Tower - Cody - Red Lodge - Beartooth and Chief Joseph HWY - Wind River Canyon - all are great spots to spend time, so let's say another week.
We may just burn through to Badlands and then spend a couple weeks in the Rapid City area. Great suggestions.

Quote:
So now in MY mind we still have 3? weeks? - if so then the Mountains are calling - either Glacier NP or the Rockies - let's say Glacier win's the coin toss. so we have 4 days on the west side couple days at Flathead Lake - 4-5 days in the park maybe a 4-5 days in Canada, with a night in the/a lodge or two just because they are so special.
I think this is great for the weeks after Yellowstone. We have friends in Missoula and will do a loop that way before heading south.

Quote:
Now back down to YNP spend your two - three weeks there and you are ready to Head to Colorado to Enjoy the Aspen and Fall for the last 10 days of September, looks like this -- https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg This will be very active as you will work one or two passes trying to follow the Unbelievable Progression of the Aspen - Indepndence Pass - San Juans - Maroon Bells.

That's how I'd attack your summer out of Nappanee, but that's just me, it's a Really Big Country, sooooo many choices, so little time, never, never any time to waste!

JMHO,
Awesome suggestions, definitely going to take our time and see parts of this country we have never seen before. Our limitation of travel on the weekends just means we spend more time in place to explore. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Devil's Tower? Little Bighorn battlefield? Grand Teton? Mount Rushmore?
All definitely on the agenda. If we end up with a couple weeks in western SD, we'd need a good home base. Deadwood is interesting but a bit far north, so maybe something more central. We prefer national/state parks, interested in beautiful locations, not amenities. Any suggestions there?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:

I think this is great for the weeks after Yellowstone. We have friends in Missoula and will do a loop that way before heading south.

Just keep in mind it 'Might get cooler (snow) sooner than you are used to in the Rockies - just be aware of the possibility. Generally if it does snow, it's in the higher elevations and is off the roads with the arrival of the Sun.

Added Note here - Last 10 days of September in the high mountains for the Aspen with the Golden Yellow Colors - BUCKET LIST - do not miss!

Just curious, do you have a general plan for after Yellowstone? ...... Colorado and their mountains can be good till just before Thanksgiving if winter in not impatient, then you could do Utah in the Fall early Winter - Cool - Not as crowded - Awesome!

Sounds great, will check back in often to see how you are doing.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #7

An option could be the following... but I'm prejudice, as I like my home state !!

You could go due North from Nappanee and visit some of MI (South Haven, Traverse City, Mackinaw City) and the UP (Pictured Rocks) and then come down towards Green Bay, WI (Lambeau Field) and into Door County (Cape Cod of the Midwest) and then head out towards Yellowstone..

Not sure if you've ever heard, or ever been, to Door County, but it is a very neat little part of WI.. If you use the back of your hand as the state of WI, Door County is the "thumb" (Sturgeon Bay, Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay)... its a very eclectic full of shops, artists, orchards and restaurants that will not disappoint

If it were me.. and I had 5 weeks.. that is how I would spend about 2 weeks of my trip.. That way your path to Yellowstone will take the "northern" route on I-94 thru Minneapolis, Fargo, Bismarck and Billings.. Or, if you wish, while finishing up in Door County, you could go thru La Crosse, WI and get on I-90...

If you wish to go via I-90, while heading across WI.. there is a quaint little town, south of La Crosse, where the WI River meets the Mississippi River (Prairie du Chien) that has a beautiful state park (Wyalusing) that would be a neat place to recharge the batteries for a couple of days before you make you way out west..

Good luck on whatever path you take... I'm sure, no matter what, it will be great !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
An option could be the following... but I'm prejudice, as I like my home state !!

You could go due North from Nappanee and visit some of MI (South Haven, Traverse City, Mackinaw City) and the UP (Pictured Rocks) and then come down towards Green Bay, WI (Lambeau Field) and into Door County (Cape Cod of the Midwest) and then head out towards Yellowstone..

Not sure if you've ever heard, or ever been, to Door County, but it is a very neat little part of WI.. If you use the back of your hand as the state of WI, Door County is the "thumb" (Sturgeon Bay, Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay)... its a very eclectic full of shops, artists, orchards and restaurants that will not disappoint

If it were me.. and I had 5 weeks.. that is how I would spend about 2 weeks of my trip.. That way your path to Yellowstone will take the "northern" route on I-94 thru Minneapolis, Fargo, Bismarck and Billings.. Or, if you wish, while finishing up in Door County, you could go thru La Crosse, WI and get on I-90...

If you wish to go via I-90, while heading across WI.. there is a quaint little town, south of La Crosse, where the WI River meets the Mississippi River (Prairie du Chien) that has a beautiful state park (Wyalusing) that would be a neat place to recharge the batteries for a couple of days before you make you way out west..

Good luck on whatever path you take... I'm sure, no matter what, it will be great !!
Mackinaw City/UP/Copper Harbor was something we really wanted to do, but it would add more than 500 miles to the trip and I'm not sure if we'd have the time for everything. As I mentioned, we're limited to traveling on the weekends so we try to keep the driving legs to 300 miles or so.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Just keep in mind it 'Might get cooler (snow) sooner than you are used to in the Rockies - just be aware of the possibility. Generally if it does snow, it's in the higher elevations and is off the roads with the arrival of the Sun.

Added Note here - Last 10 days of September in the high mountains for the Aspen with the Golden Yellow Colors - BUCKET LIST - do not miss!

Just curious, do you have a general plan for after Yellowstone? ...... Colorado and their mountains can be good till just before Thanksgiving if winter in not impatient, then you could do Utah in the Fall early Winter - Cool - Not as crowded - Awesome!

Sounds great, will check back in often to see how you are doing.

Best of Luck,

Yep we'll keep an eye on the weather, hopefully will still be ok through September. You're describing the exact loop we hope to take. Get to Yellowstone late August, spend a couple weeks in the area, take a northern loop to see friends and hopefully Glacier, then south via some kind of route, visiting the in-laws in CO, definitely hitting the big parks in Utah, and eventually spending the winter somewhere south of that.

My aunt and uncle live in Kingman AZ and they make a 6-7 month trip to Alaska every year. If we spend the winter down there somewhere, then we'll catch up with them and run to Alaska in 2018. I can't wait to get rolling.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a rough idea of the route we hope to take, getting us to the winter. I know it's crossing the mountains a lot, late in the year. It may be that we do Yellowstone and Missoula, then hightail it to CO directly.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip