Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #15

Cabela's on I75 just north of Atlanta still allows overnighting. Had a friend stay there last Friday night.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #16

Seems most of the Camping World locations have also quit offering overnight camping. At some point these companies do the cost/benefit calculations and wonder why they're bothering picking up trash and dealing with potential lawsuits.....
Old 05-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #17

Stayed overnight in the Bass Pro RV area in Columbia, MO last summer. Signed up inside... name and phone #. SO, is it really a Bass Pro change?
I just called the store above and a nice customer service person said Sure we still allow overnight RVs... come in and sign up. Good news as Iíll probably stop there in a month.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It could be left up to the individual store management, for the time being. As others have stated, we're a "lawsuit happy" & a "it's all about me" society & all it takes is one disrespectful squatter & one lawsuit to shut down their hospitality.

One Cabela's actually has it's own campground:
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...ampground-3643

I hope places like this don't get closed down. That would be sad.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I didn't notice any signs, but wasn't looking for any.. Cabelas always had water, dump station and plenty of parking..

- Didn't notice that the dog kennels were gone from last year either.

Letter was under my windshield wiper in the morning. - At least I wasn't "rousted up in the night.."

Manager "knew very little.." or wasn't willing to share.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #20

It is becoming more common for local jurisdictions to ban overnight RV parking at any commercial establsihments, when that happens the business has no choice but to not allow it.

Many, like LA, make it illegal under the guise of controlling the homeless population that started living in old tired RVs throughout the city. Instead of working on the homeless problems they went hardcore NIMBY and kicked them out of the city.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #21

I don't feel any loss. Cabela's and Bass Pro were neat stores for looking around in but not worth the excessive costs of purchasing anything. We have overnighted in a Wal Mart, though.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
It is becoming more common for local jurisdictions to ban overnight RV parking at any commercial establsihments, when that happens the business has no choice but to not allow it.

Many, like LA, make it illegal under the guise of controlling the homeless population that started living in old tired RVs throughout the city. Instead of working on the homeless problems they went hardcore NIMBY and kicked them out of the city.
I agree I think that local laws have been a issue.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #23

I've stopped at the Cabelas in Hamburg PA a couple times for the RV dump but don't stay the night mostly because the lot is not level enough even with my levelers.

Walmart is usually much better odds for good parking.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The less I stop at bass pro the better. Staying a couple of nights at a Class A only RV resort is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think it depends on the store. I stopped at the store in WV August of last year for shopping. I asked about staying there when we come through. They indicated the parking is not good for RV and that they never had told RV'er they could spend the night. They said it depends on the store. The last time we spent a night in a Cabela lot was Feb 2020

I have been reading that in different areas in the country. Private campgrounds have been going to the county officials asking for zoning changes. They look at these parking lots as completion. The changes they have been asking for are no overnight stays in shopping parking lots. I have heard a few Walmart's no longer allow over nights because of zoning changes. This seems to be a trend starting to go across the nation.

Walmart in 2010 78% allowed 24 hour stays, 2020 it was down to 58%.

People who track the industry say part of the reason more Walmarts are restricting overnight stays is because local ordinances have cropped up in recent years banning overnight RV parking in business parking lots in places such as Branson, Missouri, Sherwood, Oregon and Mountain View City, California just to name a few.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #26

I see posted so often people making claims such as the stores don't want the liability or they don't want to be sued because you know, everyone is suing everyone else.

I see little evidence for those strongly held beliefs. We are perceived as a litigious society because so many have bought into the myth.

So, the real bottom line, the corporation keeps a bunch of lawyers on retainer and to prove their worth they need to "prove" to their client they are looking out for their best interest. In this case the best interest of Bass Pro/Cabelas are those pesky RV'ers and all those lawsuits they might bring against the company.
Charming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Not to get too far off topic but LA is actually pretty RV friendly compared to some places (ahem.... San Diego seems to be winning in their fight against street RV parking.) Much of the city is now "green zoned" where it's legal to stay overnight in your vehicle as long as you are 500ft from a school, park or church. Some areas (Venice) have restrictions on oversized vehicles parking overnight but enforcement is minimal. The famous PCH in Malibu has cracked down on overnight parking but even that is only targeted towards targeting people living there. I have friends that stay 3-5 nights on a regular basis with no issues (and the fine is $100 vs. $125+ for the RV park.)

I stayed in front of a friends house in a nice neighborhood in Hollywood for a few nights and was terrified that one of the people in a $10m+ house on the block would complain..... but my friend put it best: "These people live in Hollywood. Walking outside to the sight of an RV in good condition is about the least offensive thing they will encounter today."
Old 05-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I see posted so often people making claims such as the stores don't want the liability or they don't want to be sued because you know, everyone is suing everyone else.

I see little evidence for those strongly held beliefs. We are perceived as a litigious society because so many have bought into the myth.
As someone that worked for a corporation that was self-insured I can tell you that you're wrong. If someone had a paper-cut there was a process that involved writing a report on what happened, how to prevent the injury from happening again and that was then reviewed by a local safety team and included in a report to a national safety committee. A few weeks later -- guess what? New policy on how to prevent safety cuts which is now part of annual training. It was exhausting!

This was in the outdoor recreation industry. Imagine the steps that would be taken during a fatal accident or "degloving" incident.

One ovenight guest steps on an earthworm and sprains their wrist? I can imagine them shutting it all down.