Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Not the Cabelas I knew

Mitchell South DakotaClick image for larger version

Name:	0518210925.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	328664
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Last year was the 1st year we didnít stay overnight at the Cabelas in Lehi Utah on our way from Vegas to Wyoming. It was mid way, we could buy all our fishing supplies, and it was great. Last year they said no overnight parking, so we didnít bother stopping. I havenít been in a cabelas since, disappointing.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #3

It's been painful to watch the demise of such a venerable company. I haven't seen anything good come of the incorporation into Bass Pro.
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Talked to the manager.. "Its the way the country is going... For security purposes..."

Bye Cabelas...
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #5

Is this a nation-wide change for Cabela's or just in some locations?

I have never used parking lots for overnight stays so I am asking out of curiosity and with the understanding that some companies were very friendly to the concept in the past. I am wondering if this was a corporate decision, as suggested by the Bass Pro post, or if local stores have made a policy change on their own.

Edit: You posted the manager's response while I was typing. That is an understandable comment and was my original thought. However, did he clarify if it was a local decision or did corporate make a policy change?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

I think there is so much unrest in our nation, that no one wants to take the chance of violence.

In the past, it was probably not only good business and the presence of overnighters even discouraged burglaries and other mischief. Now, an overnight RV is just an easy target for hoodlums bent on destroying property.

I still remember being told one of my former employers a long, long time ago, had to outlaw RVs in the employee lots. Reason was that certain employees were running a lucrative business of providing sex services out of their RVs. Always someone has to ruin it for the rest.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Curious: was this letter posted outside? Were there RV's present in the RV lot? Does it appear that this was posted for official purposes, but RV parking is still tacitly allowed? Or was the lot now empty?

Bummer if it's really shut down. This has been my first-night stay for every trip from MN to points West, and I bet I spent at least $100 every time I stopped.

(Anywhere else people like to overnight in Mitchell?)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #8

So I can only speak for the Utah one, we called last summer on our way out of town just to check before stopping there. We knew it was purchased by bass pro and also Covid was also making things different. They have a huge parking lot dedicated for RVís, it had a fresh water fill and dump in the lot which we never used, but know many did. We were told we were welcome to use the area during business hours but would be asked to leave once they closed, no overnight camping allowed.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I think there is so much unrest in our nation, that no one wants to take the chance of violence.

In the past, it was probably not only good business and the presence of overnighters even discouraged burglaries and other mischief. Now, an overnight RV is just an easy target for hoodlums bent on destroying property.

I still remember being told one of my former employers a long, long time ago, had to outlaw RVs in the employee lots. Reason was that certain employees were running a lucrative business of providing sex services out of their RVs. Always someone has to ruin it for the rest.

And that (bold) is the bottom line.

My guess is that the sheer volume of users was increasing to a point that the number of "abusers" forced the decision. By "abusers," I mean those who over stayed, left messes, parked in other than designated areas, or possibly impacted adjoining businesses. All speculation, but the increase in overall RV usage makes these changes logical, unfortunately.

Edit: I didn't realize that some of these stores had areas set aside for RVs, as mentioned by Leonandlisa. That makes the change all the more discouraging and more likely the result of "over-nighting" becoming "campsite."
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My son in law worked for both cabbelas and bass pro. My understanding is after the purchase the insurance company was changed as in bass pro is self insured.

If you have ever worked for a company that is self insured you know they will take extra precautions to avoid any law suit.

Looking at this from a pure business point of view it makes sense. Especially in this sue happy world we have now,.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #11

I used to shop regularly at Cabelas. Since bass pro bought them out theyíve gone downhill both in stocking and eliminating decent lines of product. I no longer shop there.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
My son in law worked for both cabbelas and bass pro. My understanding is after the purchase the insurance company was changed as in bass pro is self insured.

If you have ever worked for a company that is self insured you know they will take extra precautions to avoid any law suit.

Looking at this from a pure business point of view it makes sense. Especially in this sue happy world we have now,.
This^^, makes perfect sense, if true.

A change in ownership and insurance coverage could certainly change the degree of risk the company was willing to take. On the bright side, as dim as it may be, this would mean change was not due to abuse by RVers, only a business decision that was not made out of a desire for more profits.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
And that (bold) is the bottom line.

My guess is that the sheer volume of users was increasing to a point that the number of "abusers" forced the decision. By "abusers," I mean those who over stayed, left messes, parked in other than designated areas, or possibly impacted adjoining businesses. All speculation, but the increase in overall RV usage makes these changes logical, unfortunately.

Edit: I didn't realize that some of these stores had areas set aside for RVs, as mentioned by Leonandlisa. That makes the change all the more discouraging and more likely the result of "over-nighting" becoming "campsite."
First off, Finley is beautiful. We have our 3rd Springer right now, Zoe.

I wonder about a lot of these types of things. Unfortunately, I think the main culprit is the risk aversion. People sue for everything these days.

The last thing Cabellas/Bass Pro wanted was some rioters showing up to loot guns from the store, and then to confront an RV owner defending themselves, resulting in a shoot out at the OK Corral.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It’s not nation wide yet, Cabelas in Anchorage AK still allows overnight.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote