Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #15

NY has not yet opened up their state park reservation system. WHY???

It seems to me most state parks are designed to allow for social distancing. I've never quite understood why most states closed their state parks to camping.

Gov Cuomo apparently thinks his state parks are like NYC where social distancing is impossible and public transportation is common.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

It seems to me most state parks are designed to allow for social distancing. I've never quite understood why most states closed their state parks to camping.

Gov Cuomo apparently thinks his state parks are like NYC where social distancing is impossible and public transportation is common.

WHY? Hum because the wants of the few screwed it up for the many. Social distancing is not working very well. Some people are blatantly flaunting it and camping is just another avenue where it'll happen. State parks maybe close but private parks are under orders from the health dept of that particular county. But dont even think Watkins Glen and such venues will ever be open this summer. Crowd gatherings in NY will more than likely be closed down. Alot of summer events are now being canceled, because of the few!!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Maybe May 15th

NY outside of New York city has NOT been immune to COVID-19 which you can easily see on this: https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov...&%3Atoolbar=no

As far as social distancing - that's a joke as evidenced by a quick trip to any Walmart or even Home Depot. Masks - maybe 75% or so in those stores as well. Waiting a week or possibly a 2-3 more is not the end of the world though if you end up with COVID from a non social distancer in a NY State facility, it might be.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #18

According to the DEC which oversee's the NY run campgrounds
Early Season Camping: To reduce potential community spread of COVID-19, all campgrounds, and pavilions are closed to overnight visitation through May 31. All visitors with reservations will be issued a full refund. We ask for your patience as refunds are processed.
Camping Reservations: New York State has suspended all new camping, cabin and cottage reservations for the 2020 season until further notice. We are assessing campground status on a daily basis. If you've made a reservation for the season beginning June 1, and we determine your campground is safe to open, your reservation will be honored. However, visitors who wish to cancel an existing reservation may do so and receive a full refund. Thank you for your patience as we work to protect the safety of our visitors and staff.

Now NY isnt going to make any widespread openings at all. The are officials assigned to regions of NY. Those officials will be the ones that will make the rules to when things open, what opens etc based open the loads of local hospitals and case load for that particular regions. Ex Lieutenant Duffy is in charge of the Fingerlakes region.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #19

" As far as social distancing - that's a joke as evidenced by a quick trip to any Walmart or even Home Depot. Masks - maybe 75% or so in those stores"

In our county in upstate NY the county Exec has shut down a Lowes and issued warning to W World. They shaped up fast with threat of further action. Lowes reopened with a solid plan and on site security to help enforce.
I kind of doubt May 15 we'll see state parks open to camping in NY. NY is taking reopening slow and careful and can't find fault with it.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #20

As of today, a lot of campgrounds in Ontario are closed even as far as end of May, and that keeps being pushed out. Only VERY FEW campgrounds have special consideration for full timers that can prove their address is the particular park, or campgrounds that have offered spots for first line workers trying to separate themselves from family members.

Your rig is a 40’ motorhome and towing. You are definitely at the large end of rigs needing a campsite. Keep your eyes open to ever changing situations for your planned trip.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #21

Thanks to all. My trip to the Finger Lakes region is planned for late July and early August. I understand why parks are closed now, but my plans are 3 months away. I would like to know if I can secure a spot that's all. Don't care to discuss the dangers some fear in camping.
Both sold
Old 04-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #22

Timjet the answer is no and I believe my prior post stated that in some form.
If you had all ready made a reservation then depending of if its ready come time, they'll honor it. But until they are allowed to open no reservations are being taken and that IMO won't be early enough for you. The states regions are going to open in NY as what I said earlier, based upon factors and full opening which I believe will include campgrounds are probably not gonna get clearance it everything goes right wont be until July, August. Even our State fair held in upstate Labor weekend is iffy!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #23

Yes I understand and perhaps the NY CG's will stay closed thru the summer.

Being in a 40' motorhome I generally make reservation several months in advance at state parks. I'm just surprised they would close the reservation system completely down for future reservations. Of course that's their choice and if they have to cancel summer reservations due to being closed then that's less work for them.
Both sold