Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #1

NY state park reservations

I am making reservations for our 3 month summer trip starting in mid July. I hope this crises has ended by then.
We are going north from Tampa to the finger lakes region of NY then north of Lake Erie thru Ontario, to Michigan and over to Wisconsin then down thru Kansas and then home.

We're staying at state parks to the extent possible except for 30 days at a resort park in Michigan.
I have made reservations in Ontario and Michigan but NY is not accepting reservations until further notice. Being we want to stay at Watkins Glen and 1 other state park which are both very popular I wanted to get an early reservation.

Anybody know when NY will open up their reservation system?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

Since it looks like you are in a 40 ft coach, sites at the Glen that will accommodate you are just a handful, and tight. If you want electric and then they only have 30 amp. No water of sewer at sites either. I would suggest checking out Clute Park which is in town and less than 2 miles from the Glen. Plenty of room for big rigs and FHU 50 amp. Walk to down town, Walmart just across the bridge and the lake is across the street.
If you like eastern European food, stop at Babcha's , small place on Franklin st. Everything made to order .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
The Governor hasn't set a date to reopen non-essential businesses yet. This is a pretty good source for NY State info:https://empirereportnewyork.com/

FWIW, KOA at Watkins Glen is decent though far from cheap
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #4

With New York basically being the epicenter of the issue in the US at this time, I would have say that they would be the last state to open up a lot of things in my opinion. But you never know...

I have an RV spot and tickets for the IMSA Sahlen's 6 Hours at WGI at the end of June and I am resigned to think that the race will be either cancelled and or postponed...

As mentioned, Clute Park Campground is an option, though I personally have not been there. They have online reservations, so maybe put in for a site there? I have stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA before and it seemed nice, but also pricey as has been mentioned, but I enjoyed the facility. It's 10 minutes from downtown.

Jerlando's had some great Italian food...
Old 04-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I will check out Clute Park Campground.
I stayed at the KOA, it was OK but as you say a bit pricey.
Both sold
Old 04-13-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As of now, New York State Park campgrounds are closed to camping through May 14th, and no camping reservations are being accepted until further notice for the 2020 season.

You may want to keep an eye on the State Parks web site (https://parks.ny.gov/), but I agree with a previous commenter that your options would be very limited at Watkins Glen due to the size of your rig. It's an older campground with many smaller sites. We took a drive through a couple of years ago and decided that, with the exception of only a few sites, it wouldn't be a comfortable fit for our 32' TT.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
With New York basically being the epicenter of the issue in the US at this time, I would have say that they would be the last state to open up a lot of things in my opinion. But you never know...

I have an RV spot and tickets for the IMSA Sahlen's 6 Hours at WGI at the end of June and I am resigned to think that the race will be either cancelled and or postponed...

As mentioned, Clute Park Campground is an option, though I personally have not been there. They have online reservations, so maybe put in for a site there? I have stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA before and it seemed nice, but also pricey as has been mentioned, but I enjoyed the facility. It's 10 minutes from downtown.

Jerlando's had some great Italian food...
We have had our tickets and campsite reservations for the NASCAR race in August at Watkins Glen since January. I'm wondering if the race will even be held.
This will be our 26th. year of attending the race and the 20th. year of having the same two campsites. What a beautiful area and a great facility.
Here's hoping.
Lynn
Old 04-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #8

Clute isn't taking reservations either. I think we'll just stay at the KOA.
Both sold
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
We have had our tickets and campsite reservations for the NASCAR race in August at Watkins Glen since January. I'm wondering if the race will even be held.
This will be our 26th. year of attending the race and the 20th. year of having the same two campsites. What a beautiful area and a great facility.
Here's hoping.
Lynn
You have a much better chance than me at the end of June in my opinion. The Glen was to be my sixth racing event this year, and now I am hoping for it to be my first..... And I am not complaining. There is nothing that can be done....

I actually just watched a portion of Gov, Cuomo's presser and they are doing some talks to develop some plans, albeit a far off plan, to start looking at what may open up in the future....

My wife loves the area. it's her fourth year and my 6th for the 6 Hours. We normally spend a couple days after the event wandering the wineries and taking a lake cruise as her reward for a race weekend..lol. Either staying at the State park or once at the KOA.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #10

It’s been a long time since I camped at the Watkins’s Glen KOA but I remember a weight limit on one of the road to the campground, not sure which one but it was a bridge overpass. As to the state park, I doubt you will find a site to fit a 40 ft. There might be one or two. If you want as less expensive CG than the KOA, you might check Spruce Row CG in Trumansburg, NY. It’s near Ithaca. They have a few good big rig sites. Nice people too.
The Army Corp CG is Ives Run, they have a loop of full hookups that fit big rigs in some sites. I always use site 5 there. It will fit a 40 ft.

Another suggestion is the Canadadugia KOA, we like that place it has nice big rig sites. The owner is a good guy too.
Here is a video of our site
https://youtu.be/QMeSxD7QWSc

Here is a Ives Run video
Here is a very old video I took of that loop, I think if you have the Nat Park Pass it’s $20 a night. Not sure.
https://youtu.be/tGS4M7Ltdi0

A shorter video
https://youtu.be/ODaiQvWlY94
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I am making reservations for our 3 month summer trip starting in mid July. I hope this crises has ended by then.
We are going north from Tampa to the finger lakes region of NY then north of Lake Erie thru Ontario, to Michigan and over to Wisconsin then down thru Kansas and then home.

We're staying at state parks to the extent possible except for 30 days at a resort park in Michigan.
I have made reservations in Ontario and Michigan but NY is not accepting reservations until further notice. Being we want to stay at Watkins Glen and 1 other state park which are both very popular I wanted to get an early reservation.

If you're planning to drive through Ontario, you should hope that the Canadian border is open to non-essential visitors by the time you make your trip. Right now, anyone coming into Canada must self-quarantine for 14 days.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
jrs

I've tent camped in Watkins Glen and I wouldn't take a my 40' rig into the area we had. There might be better sections? A 37ish foot rig had a hell of a time getting in when we were there. It's an old State Park....
On the bright side, it's a great area to visit! Lot's and lot's to see.
Canandaigua KOA mentioned above (we'll be there in August) is quite a distance from Watkins Glen. It's doable but a distance away.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #13

There is a Ferrenbaugh Campground between Corning & Watkins. Never stayed there but it's an option that's not too far from Watkins and close to Corning if a day at the Glass Museum is of interest (very well done and worth at least a half day if you haven't been there)

The Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport another very worthwhile visit.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
There is a Ferrenbaugh Campground between Corning & Watkins. Never stayed there but it's an option that's not too far from Watkins and close to Corning if a day at the Glass Museum is of interest (very well done and worth at least a half day if you haven't been there)

The Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport another very worthwhile visit.

We’ve stayed there. Great option for visiting The Glen and Corning. Two sections, the one before the tracks is big rig friendly. I wouldn’t cross the tracks, even to register. I don’t remember the price but it was significantly less than KOA. NYS Parks seldom accommodate big rigs.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote