Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #15

Thanks CC. I looked that State Park up online and read the following review just written November 29, 2010:

"When we arrived at the park the rangers gave excellent service. Later, we needed some things and the same ranger (A woman with blond short hair) went above and beyond for us.
However, the fly, tick, and cockroach population in far beyond normal. I camp all the time in state parks and this has been the worst in any state park. We had an over abundance of insects beyond any control.
I can take insects, since we are camping but this was not acceptable. Also, we were running a little behind on checking out and the maintanence man made it quite clear that he was annoyed with us, and other campers in the area. He was very unprofessional and showed that he was very angry. He was an older guy who was definately not happy with his job. It made us very uncomfortable. All the other workers were very pleasant except for him. In closing, if you can improve the insect population we will visit again. Otherwise, I will visit other Florida State Parks."

My dog got ticks from a State Park in Georgia and I definitely don't want to go through that again if I can avoid it.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heritage,
My initial thought was "I was just there a year or so ago." But upon further reflection, we made that trip in the fifth-wheel, which means at least 3.5 years ago, and upon finding the pictures realized that it was New Year Eve '05 (12/31/05). So when we were there five years ago in December it was good. Insects in Florida are localized and weather driven, I imagine with the cold between the 29th of November and now that they would be less of a problem.
There are lots of good place that have already been mentioned, Salt Springs National Rec Area is one of my favorites and Silver River State Park is a great place to go also. If you go a bit north of Ocala, between Ocala and Gainesville, there is the Paines Prairie State Park which is another great place to camp. Coming south from Leesburg, just south of Cleremont is the Lake Louisa State Park. Not one of our favorites because of the lack of shade, but with the weather this last week that should not be a problem.
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #17

Thanks for the input CC.

I've enjoyed my stay here at Ocala Sun RV Park but I'm pulling out Saturday morning and now heading further South, likely towards the Gulf side as I'd like to be near water this time.

So now I'm looking in the area of Spring Hill to Clearwater and this time I'd like to stay put for about a month.

I suspect the rates are going to be much higher due to being closer to the water.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote