Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #15

It's not on the East Coast and has no hook ups but if you want oceanside you can't beat Padre Island Texas. You camp right on the beach.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #16

In South Carolina there is Myrtle Beach RV Resort, Ocean Lakes, Lakeside, Myrtle Beach SP, Huntington Beach SP, Edisto Beach SP, and Hunting Island SP. In Georgia there is a campground on Tybee Island - River's End, not oceanfront but about 1/2 mile.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Not going to get into “the secrets” but the current process leads to lots of cancellations.
.... and this is unfair to someone else.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Entirely doable. Just got reservations for Topsail and Gable Rogers (11 months out). In all honesty I’m not a fan of Key West. But there are lots of other great FL state parks we love. Not going to get into “the secrets” but the current process leads to lots of cancellations. Now that we have another camper we are booked for camping at least once a month (we are not retired yet so it’s mostly geared to weekends).
You say doable in the Keys, but then you reference parks outside the Keys.
Ahh, but then you mention secrets.

I have made reservations at KEYS State parks, 12 moths out, and its not easy.

You start at exactly 8AM, 11 months to the day your looking for and its still a crap shoot.
You do this day after day until you get lucky.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You say doable in the Keys, but then you reference parks outside the Keys.
Ahh, but then you mention secrets.

I have made reservations at KEYS State parks, 12 moths out, and its not easy.

You start at exactly 8AM, 11 months to the day your looking for and its still a crap shoot.
You do this day after day until you get lucky.
Damn you! Now everyone knows. Well, I guess they already did. I was able to secure my spot at topsail next year, but we'll probably use all 14 days of that.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
.... and this is unfair to someone else.
Unfair in what way? Following the rules? They hold your entire stay's fee for a year and charge you a change fee when you make a modification. We have jobs and kid's school and sports scheduling issues. We can't reliably plan vacations a year out so we book a window because that's the way the system is designed and there is a lot of competition for limited resources. We don't use multiple user id's or buy from brokers. That is unfair and against the policies. It's no different than getting reservations at Ft Wilderness for Christmas. 600 days out you book if you want a sure thing. Want to do last minute reservations at state parks or places like Disney? You need to get on the computer close to the date you want to go and play the cancelation lottery.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Unfair in what way? Following the rules? They hold your entire stay's fee for a year and charge you a change fee when you make a modification. We have jobs and kid's school and sports scheduling issues. We can't reliably plan vacations a year out so we book a window because that's the way the system is designed and there is a lot of competition for limited resources. We don't use multiple user id's or buy from brokers. That is unfair and against the policies. It's no different than getting reservations at Ft Wilderness for Christmas. 600 days out you book if you want a sure thing. Want to do last minute reservations at state parks or places like Disney? You need to get on the computer close to the date you want to go and play the cancelation lottery.
You're booking blocks of time and cancelling as the year goes on. You're hoarding those sites. Someone else would be able to definitely use them on the same day as you first booked them.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You're booking blocks of time and cancelling as the year goes on. You're hoarding those sites. Someone else would be able to definitely use them on the same day as you first booked them.
We're not "hoarding" anything and I don't appreciate the implication we are doing something improper or unethical. When we cancel our reservations someone else gets to reserve those spots. The sites do not go unused.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Hi, my wife and I are trying to plan a trip to to an Oceanside camping destination with full hookup for our 35’ class A. Thanks.
There are a few in Oceanside where we live.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #24

Even being retired, I would never book a site one year in advance. Doing so allows these places to charge excessive 'change' fees as well as cancellation fees that pad there pockets.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
We're not "hoarding" anything and I don't appreciate the implication we are doing something improper or unethical. When we cancel our reservations someone else gets to reserve those spots. The sites do not go unused.
Yes, the sites may be used. However, if those sites are in such demand someone was probably looking for a site on the day you gobbled up a bunch. That person was trying to a get a site way before the person that got it when you cancelled much later.

You stated "the current process leads to lots of cancellations". I'm not saying you did anything unethical as evidently the state parks or popular RV park may allow this. It's just not right to do to me. The state parks need to revamp their policies. Many RVers have jobs and kids and activities. I would guess the majority don't book a lot of places knowing they can easily cancel them.

I also don't think it's fair that multiple user id's or brokers are used to gobble up blocks of campsites.

Tags
camping