Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 05:17 PM   #15

Oh Texas, What to do about Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
So it sounds like I should be splitting my time between San Antonio and Kerrville and snub my nose at the Austonians (who must be refugees from Oklahoma)

Lol no much worse they’re from California lol
(I’m joking y’all) ... or am I... 🧐
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #16

Austin native, refuse to admit it anymore. Homeless camped on every corner, roads are horrible, extreme covid restrictions, no reason to go anywhere near Austin. (Current Austinions are recent Calif Imigrants)
Kerrville, Fredrickburg, Boerne, all much better, nicer, cleaner.
Quote:
So it sounds like I should be splitting my time between San Antonio and Kerrville and snub my nose at the Austonians (who must be refugees from Oklahoma)
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #17

KZ RV Club
Austin or San Antonio

I agree with many of the other posts, do the hill country. We live in DFW and own a house on the Frio River. That area is about 100 miles west of S A, with two great state parks, Garner and Lost Maples. We love the Fredericksburg area as well. Enchanted Rock is a great state park. There are great wineries and places to eat along Main St.
You need to do at least a day in both cities, though, both are fairly easy to walk and there is tons to look at.
A must do if you love BBQ , go to Lockhart, 3 legendary BBQ restaurants.
Kirt
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
You know the strange thing about this Google map on my screen is that I can't see hills. so I'm not sure where this hill country is? I've booked a campground at Buckhorn Lake Resort which appears to be about 70 miles NW of San Antonia. Is that in the hill country? It appears to be within easy driving distance of Fredericksburg. Maybe I'll spend 4 days in this area and scrap Austin.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
You know the strange thing about this Google map on my screen is that I can't see hills. so I'm not sure where this hill country is? I've booked a campground at Buckhorn Lake Resort which appears to be about 70 miles NW of San Antonia. Is that in the hill country? It appears to be within easy driving distance of Fredericksburg. Maybe I'll spend 4 days in this area and scrap Austin.

Yep
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #20

Cannot speak to what to see or do in Austin or San Antonio, but I thought I would bring up a Youtube channel that is devoted to showing Texas towns, the good, the bad and the ugly, and other sites of interest. You may find it helpful in planning your stay in Texas. This is a video on Goliad, TX, about 80 miles SE of San Antonio and I want to visit some areas of TX (I was born in Texas, and so was my mother)

https://youtu.be/NMK7awyFi8U

Here is his channel homepage Secrets of Texas Just select VIDEOS from the menu bar at the top to see all videos he has produced.

As far as Google Maps, go to the layers menu (the "hambuger" of three horizontal lines on the top left on a desktop) and select TERRAIN and the hills become visible, running west from the west side of Austin to about Rock Springs and Junction and from San Antonio north to Killeen and west of there, though Fredericksburg seems to be a central focus of what is considered the hill country.

Charles
Old 02-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #21

Hill country "hills" are not very big, just like our trees may be considered "bushes" in some other states.8-)

Buckhorn is really nice and a good location. The Hill Country gems are the smaller towns, you will enjoy the drives on the back roads between towns.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #22

Just a couple of daily trip suggestions from Buckhorn...

I10 down to the San Antonio downtown River Walk, Alamo. Get off I10 and drive to downtown Boerne(bur-knee).

16 up to Fredricksburg, 290 over to Johnson City.
Along the way, 50 or so winerys, notable Grape Creek, Becker. Altstadt brewery.
LBJ ranch, see Air Force 1/2 !
Side trip to Luckenbach (Waylon, Willie and the boys song).
If you have time, take 281 south through Blanco, Blanco State Park. Keep going south on 281, and take FM 473 back to Comfort, then I10 back up to Buckhorn.
May take 2 days for all of this,

I10 north to 41, then 83 south towards Concan, and stop at Garner State Park . During the summer, you have to make reservations a year in advance!

Enchanted Rock is on 965 north from Fredricksburg, need reservations well in advance to "walk the rock".

Many other thing to see, but will take more than 4 days.

This should give you a good view of the Hill Country.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots to see in San Antonio and the Hill Country. Personally, I have never cared much for Austin. The moto for Austin is "Keep Austin Weird". Don't worry, it does not take much to keep Austin weird.

Lots of vineyards around Johnson City and Fredericksburg. Some good micro breweries as well.

Enjoy the trip.

Ken

Several caves in the area as well. If you are there in the spring, lots of wildflowers around Burnet, LLano and Highland lakes.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
Just a couple of daily trip suggestions from Buckhorn...

I10 down to the San Antonio downtown River Walk, Alamo. Get off I10 and drive to downtown Boerne(bur-knee).

16 up to Fredricksburg, 290 over to Johnson City.
Along the way, 50 or so winerys, notable Grape Creek, Becker. Altstadt brewery.
LBJ ranch, see Air Force 1/2 !
Side trip to Luckenbach (Waylon, Willie and the boys song).
If you have time, take 281 south through Blanco, Blanco State Park. Keep going south on 281, and take FM 473 back to Comfort, then I10 back up to Buckhorn.
May take 2 days for all of this,

I10 north to 41, then 83 south towards Concan, and stop at Garner State Park . During the summer, you have to make reservations a year in advance!

Enchanted Rock is on 965 north from Fredricksburg, need reservations well in advance to "walk the rock".

Many other thing to see, but will take more than 4 days.

This should give you a good view of the Hill Country.
We have thoroughly enjoyed staying at Texas State Parks. Some stays were much too short and we look forward to future visits. In our few trips west we stayed at Blanco, Cedar Hill, San Angelo, Mother Neff, Stephen F Austin, Abilene, and McKinney Falls. Each park has something different to offer visitors. Well worth the annual pass.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #25

Texas Hill Country--roughly the area in a triangle between Fredricksburg, Austin and San Antonio. Also west of SA to the Frio river. So see the Hill Country, visit SA and skip Austin....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #26

Google both cities for 'things to do' and see what interests you.

Google 'walking trails'; outdoor activities, etc.

Sorry I can't help with specifics as we don't 'do' larger cities like that.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Best thing I ever did in Austin was head out to Lake Travis stop in at the Oasis. Nice view of the lake, great margaritas and awesome shrimp. Austin has a nice water front with more good restaurants. But over all I liked the hill country, Lampasas with Hancock Spring a day stop for a nice swim in cool clear water, Burnet close to Lake Buchanan with a fine Tex Mex restaurant. Marble Falls as you head to Fredericksburg has a very good breakfast spot if you like cinnamon rolls.

Fredericksburg in the right time of the years is loaded with fine peaches. The German food in Fredericksburg was awesome also.

Lord I hate being on a diet would sure like some of that Fredericksburg Sauerbraten and some apple strudel served with Bluebell Ice cream!
Old 03-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #28

Looking at Harvest Host (I am not a member, yet, at least) west of Austin and north of San Antonio, there are 32 locations, probably many are wineries. It might be worth joining, and the rates are going up soon.

Just a thought.

Charles

Tags
texas