RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh Texas, What to do about Texas

Sorry about the thread title, I'm just befuddled about what to do in Texas. How should I allocate time between Austin and San Antonio. With a week to split, which has more to offer? Factor is we have a dog that has to go with us most everywhere, so as a rule, we aren't interested in museums and such. More outdoor activities such as walking trails and the like.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Personally, I’d forget both of them and head to the Texas Hill country if I was more interested in outdoor activities.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Personally, Iíd forget both of them and head to the Texas Hill country if I was more interested in outdoor activities.
Being thousand Trails members we stay at Medina Lakes, NW of San Antonio in the Hill Country.
Nice large park, walking trails, lake, and my wife would walk 3.5 miles a day iin the park.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #4

River Walk in SA as well as the nearby Alamo mission are worth a day of mostly outside activities.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
Personally, Iíd forget both of them and head to the Texas Hill country if I was more interested in outdoor activities.
That's kind of like saying, skip Texas and go to Oklahoma. We're going to many other locations in Texas, so we're going to both Austin and SA, that's not going to change. Question is, how to split my time between them. I.E. 2 days in Austin and 5 in San Antonio or 4 days in Austin and 3 in S.A. You know but of course I was hoping to hear why folks recommended as such.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #6

Here is a link to the Hike and Bike trails for the 5 San Antonio area missions. We took our bikes to the 3 missions outside the city and drove to the Alamo and Mission Concepcion. We could have biked from Traveler's World RV Park to Concepcion but we were short of time.

Pets are allowed on most of the trail and on the grounds but not inside the churches.

https://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/hikebike.htm

Other than visiting Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Gardens, riding our bikes on the trails in McKinney Falls State Ppark where we camped, and watching the bats, we were indoors at museums and libraries.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
So far it doesn't appear that anyone cares for Austin.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #8

Even with "keep austin weird" dogs are not invited into museums, as far as I know. We enjoyed Austin and could have used more time there. With the limitation of having the four footed members along, San Antonio has more options.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Spend some time around Kerrville or Fredericksburg. They're not too far from SA and a lot to do with wineries, the home of James Avery jewelry, golf, exotic wildlife farms, LBJ historic farm, Lady Bird Wildflower farm, Luchenbach, etc, etc. Much more interesting than Austin.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Spend some time around Kerrville or Fredericksburg. They're not too far from SA and a lot to do with wineries, the home of James Avery jewelry, golf, exotic wildlife farms, LBJ historic farm, Lady Bird Wildflower farm, Luchenbach, etc, etc. Much more interesting than Austin.
We also enjoyed our visits to Fredericksburg, caught some music in Luckenbach, and visited both LBJ historic sites- state and federal. The Lady Bird Wildflower center is SW of Austin. I'm not sure which of these will allow dogs. Also in Fredericksburg is Fort Martin Scott and next door is the Texas Rangers Heritage Center. You can see both in a couple of hours.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #11

Longhorn caverns state park north of Austin was good for a day trip with a cave tour and several short (less than a mile) hiking trails.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
That's kind of like saying, skip Texas and go to Oklahoma. We're going to many other locations in Texas, so we're going to both Austin and SA, that's not going to change. Question is, how to split my time between them. I.E. 2 days in Austin and 5 in San Antonio or 4 days in Austin and 3 in S.A. You know but of course I was hoping to hear why folks recommended as such.

Wow you just insulted Texans with the OK comment without realizing it lol. Part of the tx hill country is sort of between San Antonio and Austin and just west of I 35. We live at Canyon Lake. I actually work in both Austin and San Antonio. Itís an hour either way from the north side of the lake. Lots of hiking trails around Canyon Lake. Gruene is fun.

Stay on the North side of Canyon Lake and explore from there with your toad. Fredericksburg is only an hour or so from Canyon Lake. You can visit President Johnsonís ranch on the way to Fredericksburg. And then there is Longhorn caverns as mentioned. And Enchanted Rock.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
So it sounds like I should be splitting my time between San Antonio and Kerrville and snub my nose at the Austonians (who must be refugees from Oklahoma)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #14

You'll have a lot more fun in Texas if you can just teach your dog how to dance to country music -- this is a very short (6 seconds!) video that is worth watching:

Tags
texas