RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
You know...taking the ferry S.S.Badger between Lundington and Manitowoc would add a layer of adventure to your trip while skipping Chicago traffic or a long drive through the U.P.

The Badger is not cheap, RV's are priced at $6/ft plus $59/person. My 61' rig with 2 people would cost almost $500 each way and not save any fuel or driving miles vs going through Chicago from Ohio. Chicago traffic is not that bad!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
We like Baileys Grove Campground. Not as tight as some of the other parks.

http://www.baileysgrovecampground.com
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
my favorite route around Chicago

I have been going around Chicago every summer for the past 45 years.

I have tried I-90/94, and I-264 and I really hate traveling on them in an RV.

I've also tried I-39 though Rockford which works but adds quite a bit of time.

In recent years I stay well south of Chicago and take either Hwy 24 or further north Hwy 30/52 west to Hwy 47 North. The key being getting on Hwy 47 around Chicago until I cross the Wisconsin state line and get to Like Geneva WI and then back on the freeway.

Hwy 47 is 2 lanes to the south in the country but they are in the process of widening it to 4 lanes where it goes around Chicago. It is slower but so much more relaxing then any route I have tried through Chicago.

We also found a great little campground to over night in just a mile off of Hwy 47 outside of Aurora IL. It is called Big Rock Campground. 630-232-5980

It is just southwest of the Aurora airport in Sugar Grove. It is a county operated campground, fairly new with long flat paved sites. No full hookups but they have 20/30/50 amp electric. There are water hookups with a dump station but for an overnight.....who cares. You will need an extra section of hose as the water hookups are about 50-60 feet behind your site.It is also very quiet and always has plenty of sites as it is still kind of undiscovered.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #18

You will absolutely LOVE Door Cty - The Cape Cod of the Midwest - We try to get up there a couple times every year..

Our favorite is Peninsula SP - but you'd be hard pressed to get a spot there this late in the game.. and you'll probably want to have FHU if you're going to be in the area for a week.

Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort is very nice, I believe they also have a pool, which could be nice at the end of July. It is in a good location, right between Egg Harbor and Fish Creek, and very central to all points of Door Cty...

Hy-Land Court RV Park & Campground is also very nice. We've stayed there a couple times and have been very happy with the accommodations - it may not have all the amenities of a big resort, but we liked the quite atmosphere..

Rustic Timbers Door County Campground is a nice place too.. its just south of Egg Harbor and had everything you'll need for the weeks stay.. Again, we've stayed here and have been happy.. They too, have a pool and other amenities that will occupy your down time.

Harbor Village Campground & Water Park is exactly what it sounds like.. this will be a park long on family/kid activities and action - If you're gonna be in the area with kids, this may be the place for you.. if it's just the two of you, maybe not.. I have never actually stayed at this place, but have driven thru it a couple times and it looks to be a nice place, well kept and bustling with action.

There are other places to stay, but these are the ones I have direct experience with..

Also.. if you're in the area, don't forget to go up to Sister Bay and check out Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant and the goats on the roof (yes, they have goats on the roof) - it is a historical place in Door Cty and no visit would be complete without going and checking it out -

Also, if you're a star-gazer - you could take your telescope up to Newport SP - it's Wisconsin's first "dark-sky" park.

I would suggest checking out this site --> https://www.doorcounty.com/ to check out all that is going on the week you decide to visit.

Good luck and have fun !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been going to Door County for about twenty years now. We used to go Columbus Day Weekend but that got so busy we now go the weekend prior or after. We do miss the Art Fairs and some other things, but everything else is wide open. No crowds.

Some of the things you must do. Fish Boil! Yup, sounds bad, but it is truly delicious. There are several but Peletier's is the best in our opinion. Some pretty good restaurants on both sides of the peninsula.

We always attend a show at the Peninsula Players. Indoor but unheated stage, bon fire by the bay, drinks in the woods by the fire at intermission. First class.

Ferry to Washington Island. 45 minute voyage over the area called Deaths Door. Very scenic island.

Lots of shops for the women as well.

When we travel around Chicago we always go I39 to Starved Rock and then I80 East. Some traffic but not nearly as bad as going through Chicago.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used to stay at the Fish Creek Campground, but the last couple years we have stayed at The Egg Harbor Campground. It's a nice place and located centrally.

Don't forget to visit the Winerys for free samples, and there are some cheese places that have sample counters as well.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
To get past Chicago. We will leave Cleveland OH. at about 7pm or so, to time us for a midnight or 1am Chicago passing. And then find a Walmart an hour past the city.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote