RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #1

On the Road again..

Heading out tomorrow for either 3 weeks or 3 months depending on Covid or whim. Well prepared for minimal human contact(). We are just gonna enjoy what we can see and experience along the way. Map shown is the tentative route. The heat wave is sending us due north for at least the next week or so. I have never toured the upper Great Lakes so this will be a brand new experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	292776
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

You’ll love the upper Great Lakes, but then we’re kinda biased up here. Looks like a great route with lots of fun things to see and do. If you like wineries Traverse City MI and Door Co WI are best bets (Von Steihl Winery in Algoma WI is a favorite). You’ll drive by not far from us here in MN, we’ll be waving. Have fun!!!
bobmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

Every place you picked will give you a great trip! Enjoy!!

Keep us updated as to how you're doing during the virus issues.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would probably leave off ND and drop down into SD. IMO the Badlands are well named, especially coming from NC...no trees.
I would include Cody, Ystone, & the Tetons.
After Steamboat I’d include Grand Lake for RMNP.
I would not cut the corner of NM... maybe by the time you get there you will not have to quarantine for 14 days.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #5

I personally enjoyed the drive across ND. Based in MN...since '77. Lots of wide open spaces, good state parks, and quaint small towns.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I would probably leave off ND and drop down into SD. IMO the Badlands are well named, especially coming from NC...no trees.
I would include Cody, Ystone, & the Tetons.
After Steamboat I’d include Grand Lake for RMNP.
I would not cut the corner of NM... maybe by the time you get there you will not have to quarantine for 14 days.

North Dakota is oddly one of our primary destinations . There is quite a bit to see there if you can find out where to look. Yellowstone is looking pretty crowded so far, if we end up in that region after Labor Day we will definitely go. We have both been to RMNP before so unlikely we will go there this trip. More interested in central Colorado since DW hasn’t been there.
New Mexico we are planning on probably next year as a part of a Texas, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona tour.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
I personally enjoyed the drive across ND. Based in MN...since '77. Lots of wide open spaces, good state parks, and quaint small towns.
North Dakota also has some nice city parks in the small towns.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks like a great trip Rick. I may borrow some of your itinerary. We’re in your area this week (Brunswick Beaches) then to the NC mtns and not sure where after that. Have a great trip!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #9

Looks great! Would like to do a similar trip.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing - these are fun types of posts.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

Keep us posted Rick. It looks like an ambitious trip. I printed the map a completely different route from what we had planned.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #12

Just an FYI. I was supposed to volunteer as a camp host at Teddy Roosevelt NP for July, Aug and Sept 2020. The park is now open but the camp grounds will remain closed to the public until 2021. My job was canceled. I believe they are using the camp ground to house staff rather than place them in the dorms, some type of social distancing. Hopefully you have reserved a private camp ground nearby.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #13

Looks like the trip we were planning, but in reverse. The plan was to start in TX in April an work North as things warmed up. As it worked out, we started in June and went north along the BRP and into MA. Later this week, we head west as far as IL and the south to arrive back in FL in October. Except for our 2 week stay on Cape Cod, we have not booked anything more than a week in advance. We have not had any trouble finding campsites, nor encountered any issues crossing state lines. But I'm sure that could change at any time.
Have a safe trip!
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #14

On the Road again..

Back home again..... Yesterday the chassis a/c quit on us just over 300 miles from home. With this summers heat there is no way we would rely on the coach a/c alone nor would we want to put that much additional wear and tear on the coach a/c and generator. Being only a day’s drive from home we elected to return rather than wait out the repair in. a campground.

Just got the compressor out (bad clutch)and it will be 7 days before the new one gets here.

We will try this again in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the well wishes and advice