Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #15

when near the Washington coast make sure you get to Cape Disapointment just north of Astoria tons of RV sites around
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
You can only reserve so far ahead in time on the Oregon State Park reservation system. They are in the process of considering a longer window, but that has not gone public yet as to what the timeframe will be. As others have said, you almost can't drive down coast highway without throwing a rock and hitting a state park. Also, there are a lot of parks out there that are better than Honey Bear. We stayed there for a few days and were not impressed with it. And, there is lots to see in Central Oregon coming down Hwy 97. Coast is nice, but don't write off the High Desert, volcanic displays, or down to Crater Lake NP.
I think the State Park website suggested that I would have to wait until August before I could reserve a site in September. If that's the case, I'll not try to stay at any of the State Parks in Oregon. I'll call and also keep looking.

What CGs would you suggest I consider over Honey Bear. I don't generally include government (federal, state, local) CGs in my search as they typically don't seem to be big rig fhu friendly.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:50 AM   #17

You need to expand out to Central Oregon. Let's not forget Bend, Redmond or Prineville areas. I love the drive on hwy 97 especially since Crater Lake NP is a day trip if camped at beautiful Collier State Park.

Hwy 101 is a much better drive headed south. More opportunities to pull off and see the sites.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:59 AM   #18

Eastside or Westside

Regardless of which way you go south, both the coast, AND central Oregon are incredible places to go and see. I'd do the North coast run first, then take the Willamette coast fork through Eugene to Bend, and then continue on south to Crater Lake National Park. There are lots of dispersed camping opportunities to be found in and around the Klamath lake area that are secluded, quiet, and filled with lot's of opportunities to fish, boat, ski, swim, or just walk around and take in all the sights you'll discover. Safe, and hoppy travels from the Boondocking Brewer™!
Old 01-09-2021, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I don't know that looks pretty crowded, CG closed in. Do they allow dogs on the beach? If not, there's no where to go (walking).

Yes, dog’s are allowed. Tight? Ehhh, a bit, but the VIEW! Worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6434_Original.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	313924
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:37 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Not going to have to time to explore any sites except along 101 on this trip. Maybe a future trip we can see more of the interior.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Oregon state parks generally can handle larger rigs. Many have very large Pull in and out sites. If they are not allowing booking yet ( it used to be 1 year out starting in Jan) then I would book pvt parks with a liberal cancel policy.. when the window opens book the state park and cancel the private park. State parks in Oregon , if you aren't looking to have a pool and clubhouse "style resort" are some of the finest in the nation. The "true" camp experience.
Beaches in Oregon .. ALL of them Washington to California are public lands and Dogs are permitted. You obviously need to follow park rules leash etc to get to them.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #22

The Oregon coast is spectacular -- there is too much to do and see in a short time. We really enjoyed Nehalem Bay State Park. This shot was taken from right near our campsite on a clear September night -- that's the moon setting over the ocean on the right side of the photo:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #23

Quote:
I don't generally include government (federal, state, local) CGs in my search as they typically don't seem to be big rig fhu friendly.

The Oregon State Parks near 101 we've stayed with our 40' motorhome are:

Beverly Beach
Bullards Beach
Cape Blanco - a favorite but no reservations taken
Carl Washburne
Fort Stevens
Harris Beach - A loop #15 is excellent
Loeb

Public parks were our 'go to' places. Lots of big rig sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
I can't figure out Fort Stevens State Park's reservation window. I'll call to see if I can find out why it won't let me make a reservation for September 2021. It looks like it won't allow me to make reservations this far in advance.
Due to Covid OR State parks are on a max reservation window of 30 days out.
It was 2 weeks early on when Covid hit.
It was 9 months out before Covid.
Sept 2021 will be packed on the coast if 2020 Covid is any indicator.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Planning a trip next fall traveling north to south along 101. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot east of I-5 and everything runs north and south either on I-5 or Rt 101. So my only two planned stops right now are at Waldport / Newport KOA (1 night) and at Honey Bear by the Sea RV Park in Gold Beach (3 nights). Am I missing an opportunity along the way (sticking along the coast)?
The coast is a grand place to visit and I'm sure you will enjoy your time there. However if you ever make a second trip out here to Oregon there is plenty of beautiful county east of I-5. Hwy 97 runs N/S though the middle of the state from Klamath Falls all the way north to The Dalles. There a a lot of camp grounds and RV park along the route. Check out the awesome views of the Cascade Mountains and high mountain lakes and various rivers.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Beverly Beach
Bullards Beach
Carl Washburne
Fort Stevens
Loeb

What twogypsies said. I really prefer the state parks as they are generally nicer than a lot of the private places. Another one that is nice is Kimball Creek CG, on the Rogue River, in Gold Beach.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #27
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
What twogypsies said. I really prefer the state parks as they are generally nicer than a lot of the private places. Another one that is nice is Kimball Creek CG, on the Rogue River, in Gold Beach.
Plus they have a dock and the jet boats stop there if you have reservations. https://www.roguejets.com/
Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Beverly Beach
Bullards Beach
Carl Washburne
Fort Stevens
Loeb

Seems that almost all of these are on the southern end. If we stay healthy long enough and ever decide to scale down I'd love visit a lot of these parks.