RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Oregon

Planning a trip next fall traveling north to south along 101. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot east of I-5 and everything runs north and south either on I-5 or Rt 101. So my only two planned stops right now are at Waldport / Newport KOA (1 night) and at Honey Bear by the Sea RV Park in Gold Beach (3 nights). Am I missing an opportunity along the way (sticking along the coast)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #2

In order to explore the whole coast (recommended) we prefer 3 stops - Definitely add Astoria. You can even venture up into Washington for day trips.

Be sure to tour Heceta Head Lighthouse... we gave the tours there! Many other lighthouses to check out.

We love Cape Blanco beach. State parks is where we stay so can't help you with RV parks.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oregon

What are you looking for ? There are more state parks with rv spaces and pvt rv parks on the Oregon coast than I can count. What app are you using to look ? Every town on the coast must have at least 4 rv parks
Ft stevens in Astoria largest park in Oregon .. room for any rig if you can get in ! Lincoln city must have 10 rv parks and more to do in the area ... Newport , many parks and great area to visit also Winchester bay unbelievable views and park .. one of the best county parks on the coast !! Harris beach on the southern coast is a gem Iíd pick it over honey bear but honey bear is good too for a pvt park but Harris is better .. just some I can think of in the public parks .. plenty more private parks. Take your time the Oregon coast is a gem you will not forget ! travel a few hours ea day and take the car exploring the rest of the afternoon
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #4

Oregon

Seaside, Canon Beach and Astoria are fun towns to visit. You could stay at Fort Stevenís or the KOA across the street in Warrington, which is close enough to visit all three. You could also try Canon Beach RV Resort.

If you like beer, there is a great little pub in Canon Beach and Rogue Brewing in Newport. Rogue Brewing also has whiskey if you like the harder stuff.

Lincoln City is also a great place to visit although RV spots are a bit harder to find. You could try Premier RV Resort. Ask for a spot on the upper deck.

Newport is a fun city. Nye Beach, on the south end of town is a neat community. Try South Beach State Park.

If you like quiet, and being a stones throw from the beach, then Sea Perch in Yachats is nice. Call now for a spot as it fills up quickly.

Tons to do on the Oregon coast and a spectacular drive.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #5

You should seriously look at Oregon State Parks as you head up or down 101. Their state parks are wonderful. In most cases they are significantly nicer than private campgrounds in the area.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
In order to explore the whole coast (recommended) we prefer 3 stops - Definitely add Astoria. You can even venture up into Washington for day trips.

Be sure to tour Heceta Head Lighthouse... we gave the tours there! Many other lighthouses to check out.

We love Cape Blanco beach. State parks is where we stay so can't help you with RV parks.
We're staying at Willapa Bay, I think it's a KOA there before we head south into Oregon.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

Why so little time on Oregon coast ?
I could easily spend 2 weeks & still not see it all !
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Why so little time on Oregon coast ?
I could easily spend 2 weeks & still not see it all !
So true, so true. It's beautiful, like something from the artwork you see in the pages of a book of fairy tales. We love it there.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #9

Iíll recommend Sand and Sea resort near Depot Bay. Itís right on the ocean!! Our favorite and we go back each year!
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #10

The Oregon Coast is one of the most beautiful spots in the United States.
All the natural beauty one can imagine. Beautiful uncrowded beaches, whales everywhere along the coast. Kayaking, biking, clamming,crabbing,fishing,lakes,rivers and of course the ocean.
I have traveled it many times and have not seen it all. Never get tired of the Oregon coast and its quaint towns.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Iíll recommend Sand and Sea resort near Depot Bay. Itís right on the ocean!! Our favorite and we go back each year!
I don't know that looks pretty crowded, CG closed in. Do they allow dogs on the beach? If not, there's no where to go (walking).
Old 01-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #12

With respect to the Oregon coast...Sept and Oct generally are the best months weather wise along it's coast. In terms of most sun. And yes the 101 is better more scenic drive than I-5.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't figure out Fort Stevens State Park's reservation window. I'll call to see if I can find out why it won't let me make a reservation for September 2021. It looks like it won't allow me to make reservations this far in advance.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I can't figure out Fort Stevens State Park's reservation window. I'll call to see if I can find out why it won't let me make a reservation for September 2021. It looks like it won't allow me to make reservations this far in advance.
You can only reserve so far ahead in time on the Oregon State Park reservation system. They are in the process of considering a longer window, but that has not gone public yet as to what the timeframe will be. As others have said, you almost can't drive down coast highway without throwing a rock and hitting a state park. Also, there are a lot of parks out there that are better than Honey Bear. We stayed there for a few days and were not impressed with it. And, there is lots to see in Central Oregon coming down Hwy 97. Coast is nice, but don't write off the High Desert, volcanic displays, or down to Crater Lake NP.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote