Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Oregon tax increase at state campgrounds

i believe Oregon has added a charge of 30% to out of state campers in their state camp grounds. but don't worry there full. you might get a site in Dec.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

It wasn't a 'tax' increase.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It wasn't a 'tax' increase.
A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Oregon Dept of Tourism

My better half and I have been married 55 years. She was raised in central Oregon so I have been to the Bend/Redmond/Prineville area many times and love the country. Oregon's tourism ads have always been "Oregon, come and visit, spend your money, and then remember to go back home."
Jim Duffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #5

We plan on traveling through Oregon next month and was hoping to stay at some of the State beach campgrounds, but with this new tax and not so much as the money, but the State's lack of hospitality, then we will seek non-state campgrounds. It's terrible to think what is happening in the U.S. with so much isolationists and fear of being infected by others. One of the things we enjoy is the meeting of new RV enthusiasts and local attractions.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to several Oregon state parks using our National Parks pass and they let us in free. That was about 7 years ago.

We were in a group of 11 Miatas...not our motorhome though.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

We just left Oregon. Saw the Ranger come through the campground to tape up new fee schedules. I looked it up, and the new out of state visitor's fee is to encourage local recreation and discourage the spread of Covid-19 by out of state travelers. ANNNDDDD, to generate revenue lost because of Covid-19. The article went on the say the fee was "temporary" and would be removed after Covid-19 passed. There were very few Oregon plates in our campground and any parks we visited were quite full. I'd be curious how much extra revenue is generated with the fee.

Ok, class, I want to see a show of hands. Raise you hand if you've ever encountered a government fee or tax that was temporary? Anyone? Anyone . . . .??

I spent 35 years in a taxpayer funded institution. "Increasing revenue" was a constant goal.

I've been saying for a while now, just you wait. This virus and the resulting loss of tax revenue is going to be the goose that laid the Golden Tax. A couple of us at work used to have a saying: "Never let a good crisis go to waste." This virus is going to be used in so many creative ways to "increase revenue." Of course as we always used to say: "It's for the kids. . . . "
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV2LY View Post
We plan on traveling through Oregon next month and was hoping to stay at some of the State beach campgrounds, but with this new tax and not so much as the money, but the State's lack of hospitality, then we will seek non-state campgrounds. It's terrible to think what is happening in the U.S. with so much isolationists and fear of being infected by others. One of the things we enjoy is the meeting of new RV enthusiasts and local attractions.
on the western part of Oregon you had better have reservations because they are all full. one near us had a night or two in different spots. you check in after 1:00 and out before 1:00 the next day, no 2 or more day in a row. forget non state, BLM and most county are full.
Jay D.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
on the western part of Oregon you had better have reservations because they are all full. one near us had a night or two in different spots. you check in after 1:00 and out before 1:00 the next day, no 2 or more day in a row. forget non state, BLM and most county are full.

Jay D.

Hopefully that will change in September when schools start unless parents decide to travel and do distance learning.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
No longer a Oregonian, but I seem to remember many many years ago the fee was split and also Higher for out of state. Many states currently have an out of state charge. Look at it as a "discount" for in state residents Oregon's fees were always low I thought. When we camp hosted Oregon parks , out of staters were always amazed the showers were free with paid camping.
I doubt many Oregonians are unhappy with this as the parks are filled and un-available to locals even though it does discourage tourists' other spending. Maybe this will Thin the crowds some..
Gov Tom McCall was famous for his come , visit, spend , Leave.LOL Sadly Too many came, stayed and proceeded to create what they left. I left. I will Gladly pay extra to camp when I return I'ts Still a very beautiful State and Oregon state parks are top notch.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

i don't think it going to thin out at least here on the central coast. we have some LARGE sand dune areas here and they are packed during the summer months. me and some friends that have quads and dune atvs we go to the dunes after sept. usually the crowds would thin out considerably but the last few years it didn't at all. still a bunch of crazies' as we call them. camp grounds seem to empty out a little around nov. its sad but there's just to many people for the facility's available.
Jay D.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Duffield View Post
My better half and I have been married 55 years. She was raised in central Oregon so I have been to the Bend/Redmond/Prineville area many times and love the country. Oregon's tourism ads have always been "Oregon, come and visit, spend your money, and then remember to go back home."
As our past governor famously said,
Quote:
"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live. Or if you do have to move in to live, don't tell any of your neighbors where you are going." (1971)
https://www.ohs.org/education/tom-mc...gon/quotes.cfm