Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Oregon Trail by RV Has Anyone Done It?

Wife and I were talking about road trips and got to wondering if there is a Oregon Trail Book......

Would Love to find one.... Yes I Googled It .......

Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #2

Outstanding museum in Elko, Nv. (CA/NV chapter)
OCTA : Oregon-California Trails Association
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we visited an excellent Oregon trail museum near baker city, or. in 1990. the museum is actually on part of the old trail. we walked in the ruts of the trail for about 1/4 mile.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

The Oregon museum is worth a stop. Massacre Rocks State Park in Idaho also has some 'ruts' to be seen. In my opinion, the story is awesome but once you've seen some 'ruts', well........ It is amazing what kind of terrain they went through.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

The Auto Tour Route Interpretive Guides for the Oregon Trail was available in hardcopy from the National Park Service at one time. I found the PDF version of these guides at >>> Publications - Oregon National Historic Trail (U.S. National Park Service) .

Per this site: “Auto Tour Route Interpretive Guides can also be found at many travel and tourism centers along the historic trail route.”
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

This site has a number of books for sale...

https://www.octa-trails.org/store/ca...categoryid=195
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Look up a National Historic Trails Center. Generally run jointly by NPS and BLM. Headquarteed in Salt Lake City I think. They have free books, one for each state with information about the trails and historic sites. The books are outstanding. We have used then for Wyoming, Montana, and Utah so far.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

I run into folks on most trips when I am staying/working up in the Nebraska panhandle/Wyoming area where the OT runs along the river. Probably a dozen last year alone. They have started either from the west or east ends and are following the trail, hitting all of the various museums, walking the ruts, seeing the bluffs along the route where travelers carved messages. Would make a great trip.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

We tried to follow the Oregon Trail from Nebraska to the Pacific about 25 years ago with limited success. There wasn't a lot of signage and places to stop at then but lots have been added recently. The museum in Omaha and the Oregon Trail Museum over the freeway in Nebraska are great. There are still are many places that are not marked and some where there are not roads in but not as many as before. There was a site that was dedicated to the trail that may still be available. Really worth exploring.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife's Grandmother did, towards the end of its use in 1887. She was 2 years old at the time. She lived to be 102. She remembered many stories as told by her parents. They settled in Goble OR.
I look back now and wish I had recorded them.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote