Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Oregon- Washington 2021

heading to montana next spring. normally, we hunker down in south texas for the winter, but we would like to go to Oregon- Washington for the spring, summer and fall of 2021. don't care to drive the distance back to south texas for the winter of 2020-2021. can you suggest an area in the northwest we can hunker down without dealing with a lot of rain? wouldn't mind daytime temps at least in the 60's and no snow!! or tell me how far south I need to go to avoid these weather conditions. that's all I want for x-mas santa. thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depending on how early in the spring you are expecting to start your roamings of the NW, you will find every kind of weather (except 100's!!) out here early on. A good area to start in is the east side of the Columbia Gorge. Fairly mild spring, can go north and south for all kinds of terrain and camping. If dry camping, lots of nice, quiet, almost uninhabited areas to pick. As spring heads into summer, and snow levels in the mountains drop, a whole lot of areas open up. Another area to start from is anywhere on the coast. BUT, then you will definitely be "finding" rain!!

Info on your style of camping would help us fellow PNW's travelers to post more involved info. You will be amazed at the variety of environments out here to choose your favorite!! We're still picking and choosing after 45 years transplanted here!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #3

we're looking for a place we can settle for the winter in the northwest without dealing with snow, freezing temps or a lot of rain. enjoy the blm, coe, national forest areas for camping. just wondering how far south we would have to go to avoid that kind of winter. again daytime temps in the 60's would be great
Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oregon- Washington 2021

Southern. The warmest and least rain would be in southern Oregon coast Bandon Brookings etc definitely no snow likelihood and some rain. The entire coast area is the least chance, but lots of rain ... drizzle rain that just keeps on hanging on. The saying Oregonians don’t tan they rust is true !
Oregon and Washington winters won’t be in the 60’s anywhere 40’s and 50’s down to freezing and 20’s colder in the eastern parts .
Just need to try Southern calif to get to the 60’s .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #5

I'd recommend that you not try to spend the winter in Washington or Oregon. Since you like public parks some will be closed or else you'll be in dark, dreary, rainy forests. I really don't think you'd like it in winter. Head down to Arizona.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Lived in the Seattle area for over 30 years. Trust me, nowhere will you find temps in the 60's in Oregon or Washington. Certainly there might be a few days that reach 60, but not on a regular basis.

Also you mentioned no rain, good luck with that !! The coast will be the warmest, but also the rainiest and foggiest. AND sometime very stormy, but the worst is in November and December. Away from the ocean on the other side of the mountains will be cold everywhere. And snow. Lots of clear days, but COLD(ish).

The driest areas (besides east of the mountains) will be on the east side of the Olympic Mountains. The mountains create a rain shadow that lessons the dreary day after day rain that the northwest is noted for. Doesn't mean dry, just less rainy. Larger storms ignore the mountains and it rains everywhere. Also a local weather phenomena exists that cold air gets trapped up against those same mountains and you can gut hit hard with snow. Not regularly, but a few time a year almost like clockwork. I'm talking snow perhaps of a foot or more sometimes. Not good for slide toppers.

Is Arizona starting to sound good right about now? As far as how far south, well southern California springs to mind. Northern California while dryer and a little warmer than Oregon and Washington isn't all that nice either for the winters.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
we're looking for a place we can settle for the winter in the northwest without dealing with snow, freezing temps or a lot of rain. enjoy the blm, coe, national forest areas for camping. just wondering how far south we would have to go to avoid that kind of winter. again daytime temps in the 60's would be great
I live right on the central Oregon coast i'm about 2mi. inland from the ocean I can hear the ocean today we have a storm coming in. there is no one that can predict the weather on the North Pacific Coast, the weather service even has a hard time. we have had snow 2-3 ft., temps in the teens, then the next year it might be 80, you JUST never know! in Oct. this year and early Nov. we had several days in the mid 60s now its in the mid 40s and we are suppose to have hi winds maybe gust to 85 mph. I've seen temps in the 70 at Christmas time. then the next year temps in the teens. i think for what you want you better go south of San Francisco at lest.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
can you suggest an area in the northwest we can hunker down without dealing with a lot of rain? wouldn't mind daytime temps at least in the 60's and no snow!!
TL;DR version: Nope.

There are two sides to the PNW: wet, and dry. Wet side gets rain. Dry side gets cold in the winter.

I'm leaving Yakima, WA the advertised Palm Springs of Washington" where the nighttime lows will be getting near single digits later this week, and the daytime highs probably won't break 40 for a maybe a few days.

Daytime highs in the winter in the PNW won't see 60 unless we get some really unusual weather pattern, and if we do it will also bring rain. It's called the Pineapple Express, and maybe other things too. but it's warm air that is heavy with moisture that will dump rain on us every now and then. So in the winter, if we get really warm weather that gets near 60, it might also mean rain, especially on the wetside (West side).

The dry side is high desert. It will snow. Sometimes it will snow a lot. The temps can get really cold. Single digits, zero, less.

If you're looking for 60 degree temps during the winter, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Seriously. Much farther South. Southern AZ, NM, TX, etc.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

Brookings,OR on the far southern Oregon coast is considered the bananna belt. Yes it is on the coast. Yes it will rain. Yes it will historically always be the warmest place in the PNW.
There is a pretty robust retirement community in Brookings simply because of the weather. There is a fairly large grocery (Fred Myers) Krogers to everyone else in town for groceries and gas. About an hour south to the Redwoods in northern California for site seeing.
When your ready to explore Oregon come back or send me a PM. Lifetime Oregonian, so I have a few ideas on what to see. Heck you might start a second thread, let us know what your interests are. And your physical ability. Lots to see and do in the PNW. Much of it will take some physical agility.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #10

looks like southern Arizona for us. and a road trip in the spring of 2021. thanks for the info.