Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 AM   #1

Oshkosh EAA parking

Oshkosh EAA parking question with general application. I went to Google Earth and looked at the area around the airport and there looks to be quite a few very large empty parking lots within .5 miles of the airport, what has been the experience of just parking for the night in places like this( no obvious active business and a lot sitting there). I see a big truck in the one near the old Walmart and the lot is HUGE, I can easily make do with a Friday night and or just Saturday night. I guess I could even just park on Sat as we have pups that will require going back to them during the day. This is my first foray into Rving and would like to have it as stress free as possible, I am sure there will be a lot of stress just trying to manage a 45 ft coach and a Gladiator toad. Thank you for your help.
Trexrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

I live about 60 miles from Whitman Field and attended the event 30 years ago. I would fly over with my plane and park up near everything. However, driving in is a different thing. I wouldn't take our coach there without a prior reservation. All of those parking lots you see will be full for the air show. Contact the EAA office for their info. I'm sure they will have the parking and contact info you need.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You can camp within the event at Camp Scholler. The Saturday night fireworks display is the best I’ve ever seen anywhere. The last fireworks included airplanes and about 100 drones with pyrotechnic devices.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You may have issues parking overnight in those lots, at least the old Walmart lot. I believe there is a cityirdinance that prohibits it. That said, a few years back when there were water (rain) & mud issues early during the show week, EAA got some sort of official permission to allow people to camp over there for a single night until things dried out. There is plenty of space to camp on the grounds at Camp Scholler but EAA has a 3 night min charge, this year it’s $28/night for dry camping.

If you are only going to the show for a single night, Wed & Sat are when the night air show and fireworks display happen - worth seeing!

We attend every year and I’m also one if the volunteer chairmen for the event. I sent you a message, happy to answer whatever questions you’ve got!

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3124
2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Bcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
You can camp within the event at Camp Scholler. The Saturday night fireworks display is the best I’ve ever seen anywhere. The last fireworks included airplanes and about 100 drones with pyrotechnic devices.
We’re heading out for 3 days. I see that camp scholler is huge with quiet areas, generator areas, etc...

Is it just first come first serve? The reservations didn’t ask where we wanted to be...

Looks like just a large empty field...

Would live full hookups, but suspect those fill up fast
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It’s a huge dusty or muddy field, I haven’t heard of it being full but possibly. It’s a good generator workout.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
We’re heading out for 3 days. I see that camp scholler is huge with quiet areas, generator areas, etc...

Is it just first come first serve? The reservations didn’t ask where we wanted to be...

Looks like just a large empty field...

Would live full hookups, but suspect those fill up fast
It is a large field but has roads, signage, etc. There are multiple shore buildings and 3 very well stocked camp stores. There is a full hookup area (some have sewer also, most are just electric & water). Those sites with hookups are reservable all other sites are first come, first served. There are 24 hour generator areas, but most of the camp has quiet time between 10:30 PM and 7:00 AM. The sites with hookups are about $70/night, regular (dry camping) sites are $28/night. There is a dump station and a fresh water fill located at the far SW corner. There’s also an internal shuttle bus that runs a loop around the campground and to the main bus park.

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcondrey View Post
It is a large field but has roads, signage, etc. There are multiple shore buildings and 3 very well stocked camp stores. There is a full hookup area (some have sewer also, most are just electric & water). Those sites with hookups are reservable all other sites are first come, first served. There are 24 hour generator areas, but most of the camp has quiet time between 10:30 PM and 7:00 AM. The sites with hookups are about $70/night, regular (dry camping) sites are $28/night. There is a dump station and a fresh water fill located at the far SW corner. There’s also an internal shuttle bus that runs a loop around the campground and to the main bus park.
Is there an area that’s considered “best”? Don’t want to get stuck in mud...
Old 06-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Is there an area that’s considered “best”? Don’t want to get stuck in mud...
Best is all a matter of opinion. For some that means close to the airfield, others want to be over in the tree area near the entrance, others want to be far away from the crowds…. It’s a very large area and depending on when you get there some areas won’t be an option. Much easier to answer your question(s) if there’s a specific area you’re thinking about. Short of that,when are you going to be arriving?

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hopefully the person asking “what is considered best” in Camp Scholler didn’t interpret my reply as flippant. This area is very large (close to 400 acres) and there is no simple answer. The show actually starts on 7/26 this year but Camp Scholler opens 7/2. I have been on the grounds the day Camp Scholler opens, it’s interesting to see where those very early birds camp. They are all over the place from very close to the flight line, others near the entrance to the grounds and others about as far away from anything as you can get. Assuming that wasn’t a troll response, feel free to message me offline if you’ve got specific questions and I’ll be happy to answer.

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcondrey View Post
Hopefully the person asking “what is considered best” in Camp Scholler didn’t interpret my reply as flippant. This area is very large (close to 400 acres) and there is no simple answer. The show actually starts on 7/26 this year but Camp Scholler opens 7/2. I have been on the grounds the day Camp Scholler opens, it’s interesting to see where those very early birds camp. They are all over the place from very close to the flight line, others near the entrance to the grounds and others about as far away from anything as you can get. Assuming that wasn’t a troll response, feel free to message me offline if you’ve got specific questions and I’ll be happy to answer.
Your help is appreciated...

My primary concern is being in a generator allowed area, as I want/need AC. Second concern is getting stuck if it rains...

All suggestions welcome. We will be heading there midweek during the event...
Old 06-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Your help is appreciated...

My primary concern is being in a generator allowed area, as I want/need AC. Second concern is getting stuck if it rains...

All suggestions welcome. We will be heading there midweek during the event...
Generators are allowed in the entire campground. That said, most areas have quiet time from 10:30PM - 7:00AM when generators aren’t allowed to run. There is however a 24 hour generator area but you’ll have to check the Camp Scholler map for 2021 when it’s loaded on the website for exact location. They have made many improvements to the grounds over the last 3 years to help with drainage and firming up traditional soggy areas.

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 07-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #13

Any updates on the RV parking situation? I see storms and 45 mph winds are on the agenda...

We'll be arriving thursday...
Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #14

I can't really add info on parking updates but I drove past there on my way home last Friday after camping for the week and the amount of RV's just blew my mind. This was just prior to the big air show. I have never seen so many in one place before. It was like it's own city. Not my cup of tea...
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking