Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec

Looking for recommendations for sites fairly close in to the areas mentioned with access to transportation into the cities. 32ft mh. Heading north from nj week before Labor Day. Just 2 scís. Have already signed into visit Canada site and have done all required. Heading straight up I81 and will problem cross at 1000 island crossing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

Across the river from Quebec in the town of Levis there is an easily accessible parking lot at the passenger ferry that will let you park overnight(or longer???) for a fee, dry camping. The ferry will take you downtown in old town Quebec. An easy, no hassle way to check out a truly beautiful city.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:02 PM   #3

Near Ottawa

Stayed in one S of Ottawa a few years ago. Nothing special. Lots of seasonals. Drove into downtown.

Should not be hard to find on any of the CG sites.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 PM   #4

We didn't park there but saw where it was and like Steve said the Ferry in Levis is a good spot if you don't have a toad. If you do there is a KOA and Bernieres campground in Levis as well that are within 1/2 hour of Old Quebec city.

We only spent a few hours in Ottawa so parked at a Walmart and unhooked the toad to tour around a bit then went and camped at the truck stop in Arnprior for the night before heading out.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I live in the Ottawa area and frequent these places often.

For Quebec City, Iíd suggest the Quebec City KOA - itís technically on the Levis side. They have premium sites ďon top of the hillĒ and a bunch of regular sites ďdown the hillĒ. Most are pull through. At 32 feet, youíll be good even without unhooking. I was able to navigate with 44ft with a toad attached. When I talked to them, all of their corners are designed for 68 foot long set ups. I also appreciated they donít ďstrategicallyĒ place boulders or other obstacles. Also has a good pool and easy access to Quebec City. If you find yourself in need of an item for your RV, you can literally walk to 3 or four RV dealers on the same road (Olivier) as the campground. If you get the chance while youíre there and want some pretty great pizza, check out Mustang Pizza. Itís about 3 kilometres from the KOA. The outside of the building doesnít look like much but the pizza is a wow. (Never thought Iíd say that about pizza.

For Montreal, Iíd suggest Montreal South KOA. Iíd avoid going into or through Montreal with your motorhome at all costs. Drivers be crazy. LOL. Hwy 30 is a toll road by-pass around Montreal. Itís worth the 11.25 Canadian.

By the way, the 20 from Quebec City to Montreal currently has large portions under construction than means lane diversions and where there isnít construction, hang on to that steering wheel tight as the pavement is bad.

Camping in Ottawa, youíve got Wesley Clover Park - itís an Ottawa Municipal campground but itís right in the city (Nepean). Your rig will fit easily. Itís clean and transit goes right by the entrance. The one mentioned as south of Ottawa is more than likely Cardinal KOA. If youíve got kids, the previous owners have done a lot to make it fun for a weekend, (bubble drops, water gun fight wagons) but itís too far away for public transit.

The truck stop in Arnprior is called the Antrim Truck Stop. Itís an cardlock station as well, but I donít think youíre diesel anyways. Itís also a big rig service centre, so if youíre having a problem mechanically, you might be in luck. A word of advice - if you go there, get a cinnamon bun from the restaurant. Theyíre awesome!

If you want any other specific info about Ottawa, just PM me.

Enjoy your trip!!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #6

The toll road (Hwy 30) was $8.50 for the rv and Jeep going down. Coming back we went the wrong way and went right through Montreal which was bumper to bumper, door handle to door handle and almost everyone trying to go from the far lane on one side or the other.

Yes Antrim was the place and the wife said the cinnamon bun was awesome.

We stayed in Bernieres which is just on the other side of the rv dealers from the KOA only because the last 2 times we stayed at a KOA you couldn't have a fire at your site if you wanted too. They did have a nice community one but sometimes we would just rather stay at our campsite. Are all KOA's like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
I live in the Ottawa area and frequent these places often.

For Quebec City, Iíd suggest the Quebec City KOA - itís technically on the Levis side. They have premium sites ďon top of the hillĒ and a bunch of regular sites ďdown the hillĒ. Most are pull through. At 32 feet, youíll be good even without unhooking. I was able to navigate with 44ft with a toad attached. When I talked to them, all of their corners are designed for 68 foot long set ups. I also appreciated they donít ďstrategicallyĒ place boulders or other obstacles. Also has a good pool and easy access to Quebec City. If you find yourself in need of an item for your RV, you can literally walk to 3 or four RV dealers on the same road (Olivier) as the campground. If you get the chance while youíre there and want some pretty great pizza, check out Mustang Pizza. Itís about 3 kilometres from the KOA. The outside of the building doesnít look like much but the pizza is a wow. (Never thought Iíd say that about pizza.

For Montreal, Iíd suggest Montreal South KOA. Iíd avoid going into or through Montreal with your motorhome at all costs. Drivers be crazy. LOL. Hwy 30 is a toll road by-pass around Montreal. Itís worth the 11.25 Canadian.

By the way, the 20 from Quebec City to Montreal currently has large portions under construction than means lane diversions and where there isnít construction, hang on to that steering wheel tight as the pavement is bad.

Camping in Ottawa, youíve got Wesley Clover Park - itís an Ottawa Municipal campground but itís right in the city (Nepean). Your rig will fit easily. Itís clean and transit goes right by the entrance. The one mentioned as south of Ottawa is more than likely Cardinal KOA. If youíve got kids, the previous owners have done a lot to make it fun for a weekend, (bubble drops, water gun fight wagons) but itís too far away for public transit.

The truck stop in Arnprior is called the Antrim Truck Stop. Itís an cardlock station as well, but I donít think youíre diesel anyways. Itís also a big rig service centre, so if youíre having a problem mechanically, you might be in luck. A word of advice - if you go there, get a cinnamon bun from the restaurant. Theyíre awesome!

If you want any other specific info about Ottawa, just PM me.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 08-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
@craig1960: that’s a little unusual - we’ve always been able to have a fire at the Quebec City KOA without an issue. Just did it 3 days ago there. Perhaps there was a temporary fire restriction at the time because of the weather. All KOA’s we’ve been at we’ve been able to have individual fires on our site.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #8

Thanks folks for all your replies/suggestions. Itís been 50 years since Iíve been up that way so really looking forward to it. Was through the Maritimes a few years ago. This trip going to follow the path my wife and I did, she has since passed, 6 months after we were married in 72. From Quebec weíre going to come south thru Maine. Should be fun. We were in a pop up then, mh now. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
@craig1960: thatís a little unusual - weíve always been able to have a fire at the Quebec City KOA without an issue. Just did it 3 days ago there. Perhaps there was a temporary fire restriction at the time because of the weather. All KOAís weíve been at weíve been able to have individual fires on our site.

There were no fire restrictions when we stayed at the two KOA's which was a few years ago. They didn't even have fire pits anywhere to be seen except at the one place where they did the fire.
Good to hear that they probably do allow fires at campsites though. Might have to give them a try again. Thanks Mighty

Denverh, enjoy the trip I'm sure it will bring back some fond memories.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #10

We have stayed at Camp Hither Hills in Ottawa with our 32' class A.
A basic, RV park on a family farm on the outskirts of the city.
Very friendly family run place, quiet and reasonably priced.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote