Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
P5W

Our Big Trip ... looking for suggestions

Hi All, we are preparing for our first, and likely only, trip around the US. We will be leaving San Diego in mid-August and will return when we are done, probably sometime in November. That will give us a good 3 months. We have no timeline for this trip other than we want to be in Maine the first week of October.

Our basic route will be north to the Dakotas, east to New England, south to the Keys, west to home, zig zagging where we need to. We hope to escape the extreme temperatures that way as much as possible. We have a few key places we want to visit but with so much time available, we need to fill in a lot of gaps. We need to make a stop in Springfield, IL to visit my wife's family and Mass/RI to visit mine. We want to spend some time in Maine for the fall colors and lobster. We want to visit Wisconsin and Michigan (up around Marquette and Mackinaw). We want to visit Niagara falls. We will spend time in Boston, Washington D.C.. We want to visit some Civil War sites and some of the beach in the south east (the Carolinas / Georgia). We want to visit the Florida Keys and the Pan Handle. We would like to see some of the old south and maybe see Nashville. We hope to remain very flexible. We expect there will be many one night stays while we are heading from one area to another but we will stay in some places for as long as it takes to see what's there.

Anyway, I would love to hear any and all suggestions for routes and destinations. We probably won't be able to make this trip again so would like to catch as many of the "must visit/see" places as we can.

Also, if you know of any publications or web sites that list this kind of information that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

I have a hardback book "Off the Beaten Path". Published by Readers Digest. Shows 1000 scenic & interesting places. Shows each state and maybe 15 or 20 places in each state.

Another hardback book "the Most Scenic Drives in America". 120 spectacular road trips. Shows Western states, Rocky Mountain states, central states and Eastern states.

Both books by Readers Digest and have very good information on vacation stops & road trips

I picked both books up a Half Price Books

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
The parks in Maine, Bar Harbor, close Oct 19. Just came back from Bar Harbor KOA and it was great. Get there earlier
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
P5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager35L View Post
The parks in Maine, Bar Harbor, close Oct 19. Just came back from Bar Harbor KOA and it was great. Get there earlier
We plan to be there just before Columbus Day. We go fairly often but we've always been on car trips and staying in B&Bs. The area pretty much shuts down after Columbus Day (this year it's October 13th). I saw that KOA in a previous search so thanks for the review! I especially love the town of Kennebunkport. Is Bar Harbor a place I should not miss? What's there? Do you have to go on a ferry or are there bridges or what?

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I think we will be coming in from New York as we want to see Niaraga Falls. Anything I shouldn't miss between Rochester, NY and the coast of Maine?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

Drop down and take a ferry across Lake Champlain. I think there is a North & South ferry. We took the one that goes to Burlington I think.

Russell
Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #6

Great trip, Next exit is also good and you can find the other books mentioned on here on Ebay. Safe trip!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Not nearly enough time! There is so much to see and do in this country that spending a lifetime pursuing all the spots may not be enough. We have been to every State and Province and are visiting many of them for the second and third time. I seriously believe you could spend a year in each State and still find places you have missed and find them interesting.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

"BTW, I think we will be coming in from New York as we want to see Niaraga Falls. Anything I shouldn't miss between Rochester, NY and the coast of Maine?"

Depends what you like. I plan on 3-5 days from Eastport ME back to Rochester in Aug/Sept. Go up through the Adirondacks and check out the Museums at Blue Mountain Lake and Tupper Lake (very different). Swing through Lake Placid and take the northern Ferry from Platsburg to Grand Isle. (Check out Apple Valley). Drift accross VT with a stop at Ben and Jerry's plant and the marble quarrys. Pick North or South sides of the White Mountains and head into ME then work south. Or you can just hit the Thruway, drop $100 in tolls and be in Boston that night.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

You will be able to see a lot in 3 months. We too have been in all 50 states. 48 in an RV. Several many times. Now when we travel we look for places in each state that we haven't been. Have no problem finding new things anywhere we go.
Enjoy your travels!!

Russell
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

Big trip Niagara Falls,NY

I live in Niagara Falls,NY. The most economical place to stay at is a State Campground called Four Mile Creek in Youngstown ,NY. It is open until late OCT. The time of year you will be traveling the park will not be crowded. Save a few$ by just showing up or if you prefer a reservation can be made at WWW.Reserve America.com It has 275 campsites. 130 are electric. 1-716-745-3802. If you are planningon visiting the Canadian Falls you will need an enhanced drivers licence or your passport. Bring your birth certificate. Safe travels.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
P5W

Sweet, all good stuff. Thanks for the info and I will continue to check this.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

From Mackinaw, Michigan consider coming down the western coastline of Michigan and spend some time around Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore, staying at Platte River campground. The whole area is gorgeous.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

[QUOTE=Luckiest Dreamer;2143844]Not nearly enough time! There is so much to see and do in this country that spending a lifetime pursuing all the spots may not be enough.

I'll have to agree, "Not nearly enough time." In 2011 it took us almost 6mos. to go from Maryland to San Diego. So much to see, so little time.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take your time. Don't have a fixed or hard schedule. Stay awhile, when ready move on. Consider that 3 months is not enough time. My father and stepmother RV'ed half timed for several years. When leaving out, when asked where they were going the answer would be 'west', when coming back the answer would be 'spring'. I lived in another part of the country, they would visit me and if asked when the answer would be 'September, or maybe October'. They had a great time with very little structure to their planning.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote