Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Over night at Belford N.J. Ferry Terminal

We are planning on leaving our WB Vista 27ft at the Ferry docks in Belford N.J and taking the ferry into the city (NYC) and spending a couple days. The Ferry web site says that parking is accessible 24/7 sooo im thinking I would like to arrive the night before and boondock. I google earth the parking and appears to have ample of space, just don't know about the hassle I may receive if it appears we are camped. Any one know the terminal policy or have suggestions?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

I live within miles of the ferry, but I have never used it and I don't know about boondocking in the lot. A quick search shows the closest campground as Cheasequake Park in Matawan, about 9 miles away. There isn't a Walmart or Camping World close by the ferry either. The nearest Walmart is in Neptune off exit 100 on the GSP. If you are asked to leave the ferry parking lot, there is nowhere really close by to move to.

You said you would spend a few days in the city, are you camping somewhere in the area? Which direction are you coming from? If NYC is your primary destination, maybe Liberty Park campground instead of Belford? Liberty is as close to NYC as you can get, and there is transportation from there.

I would just like to mention, if you are in the Belford area, and like lighthouses, Twin lights is lovely and not far from Belford. Sandy hook is also close by basically over the bridge from Twin Lights and is a beautiful and historically rich place to explore. There is a lighthouse on Sandy hook as well. Both Twin lights and the Sandy Hook lighthouse offer beautiful views of the NYC skyline and Verrazano Bridge.
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Before going, you should contact the folks and see if it's O.K. to do as you plan. If it is allowed, what kind of security do they have overnight?

Belford Ferry

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We are traveling up the coast spending not more than a night or 2 at each site. Want to take a early ferry into the city one morning so the idea of spending the night in the parking lot seems like an affordable and time saving option. I google earth the ferry parking and there appears to be ample space, a call to then got nothing in response. Was hoping a local could check it out.
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
We are traveling up the coast spending not more than a night or 2 at each site. Want to take a early ferry into the city one morning so the idea of spending the night in the parking lot seems like an affordable and time saving option. I google earth the ferry parking and there appears to be ample space, a call to then got nothing in response. Was hoping a local could check it out.
While it looks like ample space, it is used by commuters so I imagine it fills up. Try calling tomorrow and see if you get a response. I would specifically ask about overnighting. It would not be fun to be chased off in the middle of the night. Especially since there are not too many options close by.

As I said I live fairly close, but it is a direction I really never go in, and I have a crazy week this week or I would offer to check.
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford