Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Overnite in Moab info please

On our way home from Yellowstone to Texas in late June we'd like to take a Saturday morning to drive the Arches Scenic road. Since there are no Walmart's in Moab I'm wondering if there's a safe parking lot to sleep overnight Friday and leave the bus and take the toad for a quick run thru the park. Didn't really want to take the time to find a park, check in(spend $), etc. If not, what's a good local RV park?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

Just one night?? Are you sure that's all you want to stay and do? Canyonlands is right there as well as Dead Horse Point State Park which has a spectacular sunset on the point. Then there is Moab that deserves a few hours at least.

As far as a free place to stay, there isn't as far as I know but there is a place to park near the intersection of 128 & 191(or was a few years ago). There are some BML CGs along 128 though. We stayed in Big Bend but there are only a couple of sites for a big rig and there are no hookups. Another BML CG is Horsethief which is on the way to Canyonlands & DHPSP. There maybe some boondocking places too and there are several "resorts" in Moab.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many free BLM campsites in the Moab area. Check out this link: BLM Campgrounds surrounding Moab, Utah. We spend two weeks there last spring and could have spent more time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

According to the Moab Field Office for BLM free camping, there are now very limited sites to do so due to visitation of approximately 2 million per year. Moab is a very busy place and has many restriction on where you can camp. The free spots would probably not be good for your 37' MH and not worth trying for only one night. Why not plan to spend a couple nights in a campground at least and explore the area. How often will you return?

The campgrounds in the link posted by RareBear.nm are not free. There is a charge and they're first come.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

We have to be back home on Sunday after spending 5 days in Yellowstone. Moab will be kind of a "recon" mission for next trip. Jobs and real world wait.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgeezer View Post
On our way home from Yellowstone to Texas in late June we'd like to take a Saturday morning to drive the Arches Scenic road. Since there are no Walmart's in Moab I'm wondering if there's a safe parking lot to sleep overnight Friday and leave the bus and take the toad for a quick run thru the park. Didn't really want to take the time to find a park, check in(spend $), etc. If not, what's a good local RV park?
Here's the issue - HEAT in late JUNE - lot's of places to stay - Rt 128 along the Colorado River is full of spots, but I would look to get some elevation and some coolness to sleep in. Maybe Manti-La Sal National Forest, they might have some dispersed sites that would be cooler (Have never stayed there so?)

We have stayed in a Passport America site in the Summer there a few time, cheap and easy, and has electric so you can sleep - Don't forget Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park (Think they have electric sites but no water) then be sure to drive Rt 128 along the Colorado River just a Beautiful drive.

How will you exit Moab to get back to Texas?

I'd suggest - for a fun and Beautiful drive to head out rt 128 to I-70 into Colorado then down the 550 to Montrose/Ridgway SP area, Ouray - Telluride - 4X4 trails to die for and Cool Crisp Nights, just my favorite area in the US.

Then maybe across to Salida and out to Texas.

BOL,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Arches takes 1 to 2 days MINIMUM to see much of anything!!!
Lots to see & do in Moab & area.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Because of work schedules we have very limited time to do more than Yellowstone this trip. I thought I'd swing thru Moab and show the wife a little of what it's like by driving the 18 mile scenic road. That's why a Walmart parking lot would have been ideal for the "in and out": spend the night, get up early and drive the route, load toad back up and hit the highway. We'd love to take a more scenic route home but time is an issue, so probably 191/491/i40.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

A drive-through Arches is better than not seeing it at all.

I wouldn't give up your plan but I would spring for a RV park with hookups. You will want a good night's sleep before taking off for your journey in the morning and yes, it will be very hot there so your air conditioner will be welcomed. You can then dump and clean your tank out, if necessary, get groceries and perhaps as a last big night on the road, take yourselves out for dinner.

Hope it works out for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

We stayed at Spanish trail rv park in Moab in April.. decent park. nothing is going to be dirt cheap but we stayed 3 nights just to get a taste of the Arches and Canyonlands NP's.. Branding Iron Steak House across the hwy had great burger.. unlimited refill on fries...
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgeezer View Post
There is a park south of Moab I overnight ed in. It has a rest room. Other 18ers and RVs were there. Look on a map for the location.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I stayed and the Portal RV Resort (they call anything a resort) and was very unimpressed. Right next door was the Slick Rock Campground, which looked better. Gotta eat at the Jail House for breakfast, ride your bikes everywhere.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #13

Just pulled the trigger on one night at the Slickrock campground. The bacon at the Jailhouse Cafe looks terrific! Arches here we come. This is going to be an epic 10 day adventure. Thanks everyone!