Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #1

Palo Duro Canyon in November

Is Palo Duro Canyon doable in Mid November?

We are in a 37 dp and would like to stay in the canyon.

Would also stay a couple of nights at Caprock Canyon as well.

Just wondering about the temperatures for driving and such. Not really about being cold hiking the canyon (unless that is an issue that I am overlooking).

Thanks
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #2

You could get a dusting of snow -- the canyon is at about 3500 feet. I doubt that the snow would be very deep or would last very long.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #3

We visited Palo Duro Canyon in November one year. We found the weather delightful for hiking.

The road into the camp ground is steep, narrow, and winding. It will require significant skill to navigate a large vehicle. However, many long RV's made it in.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

I have only been there in late September, but I would not expect much risk of snow in November.

I did it with my popup, but I agree roads are a bit windy, also a lot of elevation changes. Not the flat roads you expect in Texas. Beautiful area, and I would expect the cooler weather will make for much nicer hiking temperatures than we had.

I took a night flashlight tour offered by rangers, had to be careful not to step on the tarantulas. Very interesting.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would do it
Old 07-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #6

This article states - near the end - that the best times are early spring and Oct/Nov. I agree. We were there in November for perfect hiking temperature.

We had a 40' motorhome and had absolutely no problem negotiating the hill. We did disconnect the towed vehicle beforehand but it really wasn't necessary. We connected for the uphill return with no issue. The downhill is so short it was over before we knew it. We've done a lot worse hills. We stayed at the far campground - Mesquite, a beauty.

https://www.lonestartravelguide.com/...-canyon-texas/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Late fall is a great time to see Palo Duro and Cap Rock. The road into Palo Duro is not half as bad as some people make it out to be. Ther are a couple of switch-back turns and short steep grades. All you need to do is just gear down and take your time.

We have been to Palo Duro Canyon a number of times with 39 FT and 40 FT 5th wheel and our diesel dually truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Late fall is a great time to see Palo Duro and Cap Rock. The road into Palo Duro is not half as bad as some people make it out to be. Ther are a couple of switch-back turns and short steep grades. All you need to do is just gear down and take your time.

We have been to Palo Duro Canyon a number of times with 39 FT and 40 FT 5th wheel and our diesel dually truck.

Ken
I'd love to make another trip to Palo Duro, maybe later season, and Cap Rock is on my list for a first trip as well.

I agree with the gear down & take your time. I was driving a GMC Canyon with a popup when we went, and so the switch-backs and grades were noticeable, but no issue for me. Didn't feel comfortable telling someone with a larger rig since I wasn't considering it when I was there.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were at Palo Duro last Oct. 11-13, and weather was still summer like with thunderstorms one night. We drove down to the canyon floor with toad still hooked up with no problem at all. Possibly year to year variations might give you a chance of snow in November, but I'd look at yearly averages to see what's most likely. We really enjoyed our stay there.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #10

well I have the trip booked for mid november.

A few days at Caprock and a few at Palo Duro.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astasoftride View Post
well I have the trip booked for mid november.

A few days at Caprock and a few at Palo Duro.

Thanks for the info.
Please return with your update on weather and experience! Have a good trip!!!
Old 11-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #12

Well we didn't make the trip

So our trip was to be 11/11 - 11/19

The weather showed snow on our travel day from Caprock Canyon to Palo Duro Canyon. That and temps being below freezing for around 15-20 hours.

So we decided not to make the trip.

We cancelled out those plans and went to Fredericksburg, TX and Garner State Park, Concan, TX instead.

Although we've made it Kerrville, TX a few times, this was our first trip to Fredericksburg. We stayed in "The Vineyards" just outside of town. Nice park

The Pacific War Museum is very nice. IF you are interested in the subject matter, it is great.

We had been to Garner State Park before, and it was nice. We bit a bit of hiking while there.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:18 PM   #13

Thanks for returning with an update. One can't count on the weather, for sure. Perhaps another time.