Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #43

camp site deposit

I have paid an extra $10 dollar for a camp site near the restrooms when I book a reservation. I have a motorhome but the space in its bathroom is a little small now that I am getting older. Any charge over says $25 dollars I will look for another RV park.
iowagasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You never know what you will find

As long as the CG understands what you are driving, how big you are, and what kind of hookups you need let them choose the site. Personally, I would take my business elsewhere. I have found that some areas, like those near Cleveland, have few campgrounds. If one of these destinations is yours you may have limited choices but, for the most part, you should find something else if you can.

An amusing story. We reserved a site at a campground that advertised views of the Mississippi River and paid an advanced deposit. When we arrived we did not see the river at all. I asked where the view was and, I kid you not, they told me if I stand on the roof of my coach and use binoculars I could sort of see it. We let them keep our deposit and went looking for somewhere else to stay.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #45

Loved Mama Gertie's--but never that much

Yes, they have some FABULOUS sites. One of my most favorite places to stay. Been there many times, apparently before "under new management". Wonderful place to stay, even if you don't get the "Penthouse". But $250? NOPE!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #46

All of the above post are the reason we try to stay

in National and State Parks, BLM, COE, City, County and Military campgrounds.

I like to stay in places where my Tax dollars have already picked up the majority of the cost.

Even though we live just North of Baton Rouge, I keep my California residency. The free State Park Camping for Disabled Veterans is nice. We usually spend a month or two every year at Balsa Chica. Beach front property in Orange County and all it cost me was a knee, eye and a bit of my face.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 716 View Post
As long as the CG understands what you are driving, how big you are, and what kind of hookups you need let them choose the site. Personally, I would take my business elsewhere. I have found that some areas, like those near Cleveland, have few campgrounds. If one of these destinations is yours you may have limited choices but, for the most part, you should find something else if you can.

An amusing story. We reserved a site at a campground that advertised views of the Mississippi River and paid an advanced deposit. When we arrived we did not see the river at all. I asked where the view was and, I kid you not, they told me if I stand on the roof of my coach and use binoculars I could sort of see it. We let them keep our deposit and went looking for somewhere else to stay.
I'd buy EXCEPT I have had two sites this year they had no business giving me. One a KOA Dayton.. I had the tongue of trailer on the ground and couldn't level after 8 hours of driving and ended up driving another 4 hours home after telling them to bag it and credit me or my lawyer would be calling them the next day when they tried to refuse a refund. Some campgrounds are great and reasonable. Others need a good hard kick in the nethers.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #48

Spartan Chassis
What may be overlooked here is that locking in a specific site for a time could prevent it from being rented for a few days before, if potential renters were staying into the time slot you wanted. Now that may not justify the $250 Lock in fee, it still may prevent loss of revenue by having a site tied up. We have been told we needed to move to another site before because the one we were in was reserved. What would have happened if there wasn't another site available or refused to move? Could create a whole lot of trouble for the management.
The problem is the park is using a program that doesn't operate on pre-assigned sites but site assignment when checking in. I have seen this fail when people who reserved FHU 50amp site were told that there were none available when checking in. They were either stuck with less or try to find another place and then fight for a refund of their deposit. Unfortunately the increasing demand for sites without an increase of new RV parks hurts the travelers.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeaux View Post
in National and State Parks, BLM, COE, City, County and Military campgrounds.

I like to stay in places where my Tax dollars have already picked up the majority of the cost.

Even though we live just North of Baton Rouge, I keep my California residency. The free State Park Camping for Disabled Veterans is nice. We usually spend a month or two every year at Balsa Chica. Beach front property in Orange County and all it cost me was a knee, eye and a bit of my face.
Every state should allow disabled vets to stay for free, regardless of residency.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I just checked for 1 week in April and it's $600!!!! No amenities.... just a parking spot. Wow!!!!
Wow is right!
We stayed at Rutledge Lake for few days in Sept. and it was surprising reasonable. Check it out ... RV SITE & CABIN RATES | ASHEVILLE RV PARK, NC
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Specific site reservation easy

TENNESSEE STATE PARKS system not only allows you to reserve a specific site on-line, it allows you to look at the site as well.

Boycott that campground for their inflexibility.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #52

Never

If I don’t like where they offer will go elsewhere
Smitty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #53

Never Again

Just the verification of such a post will keep me away. I would stay anywhere else to keep from being held “hostage” at their campground. Last time I was there I listened to train whistles ALL NIGHT LONG!
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #54

Well it used to be camp grounds logical prices now they charge as a hotel with more rules and regulations!
Even membership campgrounds are the same now nothing like in the 1980s
Well things change but not that fast!
quadslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:40 AM   #55

Campground VS RV Resort

We travel the east coast a lot and over the years have got to know the owners of many Parks.
Over the past couple of years I have found that many mom and pop campgrounds have sold to the Corporate RV resort people and those are the ones that are not flexible and are high priced. The corporate resort doesn't want your one or two night business.
Fortunately there are still some Mom and Pop campgrounds available and those are the ones I seek out
cliffordloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:41 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNewmarBob View Post
This is becoming a interesting issue. The parks are being sold a bill of goods by 3rd party reservations systems since the park owners are looking for an easy solution to a web presence and booking system. Even if the parks has a web site, pay very close attention to where you are redirected when selecting "make reservation" buttons... In many cases it is off to one of these 3rd parties. You need to watch the URL on your browser to catch it.

The language you posted I have now seen repeatedly and ultimately traced to these "brokers" who are capitalizing on the system. Since there are so many "newbies" out there who don't know better and the owners are being talked into using these systems, we all are being screwed.

I have taken to calling the park directly and asking to make the res directly stating.....I would rather give you my money directly and not have someone skimming off your profits". In most cases I have ended up with a site commitment at a lower rate without the extra fees. I have also taken the stand that if I am not backed against the wall, I will take my business elsewhere and told the park that. In a few cases they didn't care but in others, they took care of me.

I recently decided not to attend an owners' rally at a "new resort" in N. GA over the reservation BS and up-charges that were external to the event organizer. I took the time to "educate" the event organizer of the "bait and switch" as well as other issues. The organizer has made clear they won't return to the park...evidently, I was not the only one who complained, but I went out of my way to figure out what was happening. The park owner offered me a free site after the organizer confronted them.....no was the answer!

I understand "supply and demand", but the 3rd party operations are ripping everyone off. One of the biggest "offenders" is "Spot2Nite" web site. You can look at their system and see a rate (typically with a high rate and a message like "only 2 sites left" and at the same time be on the phone with the park and get another, lower rate and in one instance I was told "we have plenty of sites available, just come on in". The same thing is happening with the 3rd party res. sites.....with the "only X sites left..." crap.

We are in a "new world order" for RVing. Park Owners don't know how to run the business side of the park so the "hucksters" get their hooks into them with the promise of more revenue. The newbies don't know any better, RVers who are not tech savvy wouldn't notice a URL "Redirect" and so on.

And then there is Marcus Lemonus as well as Sun and a few others getting into the large scale "reservation broker" business......and it's only going to get worse.

As the say "buyer beware" and be prepared to "shop" directly with the parks on the phone......

End of Rant!

Bob
Best post in the thread! Thank you.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote