Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2023, 07:44 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I look for campground that will allow pets and I also look to see if they have dog park where I can allow our dog to run free. To the OP I have found that a lot of folks see a bull dog they think they are a pit bull dog. You have the right idea, just move on to find a park that will allow your dog into the park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2023, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Wonder if there are RVers who intentionally seek out pet free facilities.
Absolutely! Count us in. We haven't found many parks that outright ban all pets, but more and more have restrictions and pet-free zones.
We have found many trails (especially NP) that ban pets, even on leash.
Our last pet died just before we retired. Made the decision to not get another as we are traveling constantly. If you travel with a pet, all your activities and schedules revolve around the care of that pet.
We decided it is our retirement, not the pets
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
… snipped …
Many complain about owners not cleaning up after pets. What about smokers flicking their butts? I see way more cigarette butts vs dog poop
Cigarette butts are much easier to keep off one’s shoes. In fact, they typically don’t stick at all.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:08 AM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To me it looks like a "French Terrier."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Wonder if there are RVers who intentionally seek out pet free facilities.

This animal owner does. Listening to someone else’s fur ball yapping isn’t my idea of relaxation. I don’t practice my banjo playing in campgrounds either for the safety of other’s tympanum.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:13 PM   #20

"Wonder if there are RVers who intentionally seek out pet free facilities."

Absolutely!!!
We have had enough bad experiences with irresponsible dog owners, we now seek out dog free parks.
Yes, we have been pet owners. You name it, we have had them.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #21

There's an old adage that I have always agreed with (had or been around dogs my whole life too)...

All dogs bite, it's just a question of when.

Again proven last trip..... My companion walked wide around a leashed dog (ankle biter) tied to a park bench where a couple was fishing...a couple yaps from the dog when the owners said "don't worry she's friendly". Within 10 seconds my companion had blood streaming down her one legs (and she's the animal lover)...the leash hidden under the bench was quite long. I don't trust any dog but my own and I still expect to be bitten sooner or later.

May YOU know your dog will never bite anyone.... but WE don't and neither does the RV park.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:54 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
There's an old adage that I have always agreed with (had or been around dogs my whole life too)...

All dogs bite, it's just a question of when.

Again proven last trip..... My companion walked wide around a leashed dog (ankle biter) tied to a park bench where a couple was fishing...a couple yaps from the dog when the owners said "don't worry she's friendly". Within 10 seconds my companion had blood streaming down her one legs (and she's the animal lover)...the leash hidden under the bench was quite long. I don't trust any dog but my own and I still expect to be bitten sooner or later.

May YOU know your dog will never bite anyone.... but WE don't and neither does the RV park.
Like you, I have owned and been around dogs my entire life, but gave up on owning a dog about 25 years ago when life became too busy to allow for the time and care that a dog needs. But I understand and can read dogs quite well.

Here is a general truth: both dog owners and the dogs themselves will communicate with you as you encounter them in parks, trails, etc. Often they say very different things. The owner ALWAYS says, "Oh, he wants to be petted...Oh, she wouldn't hurt a fly... oh, she loves people." And the dog is saying, "I hate you and I want to rip your lungs out and eat them before your eyes."

Always believe the dog. Never believe the owner. The dog is the one telling the truth.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #23

You can add me to the list of people who are just fine with banning some or all dogs.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:10 PM   #24

Chihuahuas are by far the most unpredictable dogs. It really comes down to the owner though. If they can't control their pet they should not have one. Our Staffie can't hold his licker.
azlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
I am not insulted. Just want people to know. Been a reasonable pet owner for 50 years camping and this was a first. Thanks for all the responses.

You might be very reasonable, but there are those who are not. Getting bit by someone's dog has me less interested in being around poochies. Furthermore, striking near home, an 82 yo guy was walking in his neighborhood three years ago, when 3 dogs belonging to a resident there attacked him. Two years later he died as a complication to the brutal dog attack. It has a sobering effect.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:37 PM   #26

Hey Bigceaser traveled 25 years with Rotts never had a problem...Its usually the *Snarlly Owners* not the Rottweilers
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:37 PM   #27

Plenty of other parks around there. i am from Saratoga and stayed there.
Should have said French Pug.
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 03:42 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
I am not insulted. Just want people to know. Been a reasonable pet owner for 50 years camping and this was a first. Thanks for all the responses.
Unfortunately you are the only person who know you are a50 year responsible dog owner. We just had a pit bull breed attack and maul a 12 pound Papillon in our parks. Papillon had to have 150 stitches and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Owner fled the park in the early hours but police hss as ve all his data.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote