Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Pilot Mountain State Park Area

We are very new to this! In other words, we haven't even taken our first camping trip yet! . In fact, I just joined this forum this morning!!!

We'll be heading down to NC from PA in August. I've traveled this route quite a bit over the years to visit my daughter, and hate driving through the mountains in WV!!! How is this route for an RV?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a good place to stay in this area of NC?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!

Frances
MPM442LPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you looking just looking for a overnight stop?

I have taken the eastern section of route 50 in VW and will never again. Hilly and very narrow at points.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would guess you are thinking I81 south to I77 then down into NC? 81 is not really a problem with mountains but more with truck traffic and 2 lanes most of the way. I77 is not too bad either but there are some mountains in the WV part of 77 with VA being less so. Most interstates are doable with most any type of RV.

We go into NC from VA each year but stay mostly in the Franklin, NC area which is in the mountains west of Ashville and love that area. We are staying at Greystone RV park on the way home this year in early August which is in the Pilot Mountain area. We haven't stayed yet but I looked good on the web with great reviews.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
77 in NC take 74 to 601 the Mayberry Campground is right there in Mt Airy clean nice size spots no pool and if you stay a day or two you can visit Mayberry take a tour in a Mayberry Police Car and there is a winery on main Street

Sent from my XT1585 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
77 in NC take 74 to 601 the Mayberry Campground is right there in Mt Airy clean nice size spots no pool and if you stay a day or two you can visit Mayberry take a tour in a Mayberry Police Car and there is a winery on main Street

Sent from my XT1585 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
We just stayed here this last week. They take good Sams and on some days passport America for 2 nights. No frills, they have a fire pit. Some locations are near picnic shelters or single tables. The spots are far enough apart.

There are two fishing ponds. They are catch and release. My husband enjoyed getting up and fishing at 6 in the morning before I managed to crawl out of bed.

Do yourself a favor and don't leave your awning out. The storms rush in while the skies are sunny. Tear things up and leave. I was in town, my husband said it was quite the circus as people rushed to get things under control. One camper near us had an awning fatality. We don't put our awning out unless we are using it.

We had fun going into Mt Airy and visiting the Mayberry museum. One thing I noticed is google had the times for locations that weren't up to date. Call if you want to visit a particular place to eat. We never did get those porkchop sandwiches at Snappy Lunch.

As far as options that are state park. There is Stone Mountain campground NC state campground. We stay at the COE parks outside of Wilkesboro. There are three all on the same lake. Fort Hamby, Warrior Creek and Bandits Roost. Fort Hamby has no Tmob service unless you are near the entrance. Some of the sites in one of the other two parks have some challenging hills if you have a big rig and aren't comfortable backing in. I think it was Warrior Creek.