Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Pittsburgh Area Campground

This summer we will traveling thru Pittsburgh, Pa and want to stop for a few days.

Unfortunately, I have not ben able to find any campgrounds close to the city (North Hills preferred) .

Anyone have any sugestions???
PhaetonNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you need a place close to the city? Otherwise eastward down the turnpike about an hour are many areas in the Laurel Highlands area. Between exits 9 & 10 on the pike are a few places. We camp are Laurel Hill State Park and do a day at Kennywood amusement park just east of downtown Pittsburgh. It takes us 50 minutes to get there.

Try going to this area of the forums. I bunch of thses members are from that area. North-Central
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Raccoon Creek SP recommendation

I'd recommend Raccoon Creek State Park in Hookstown (about 45min NW of Pittsburgh). We were there last fall for 4 nights & truely enjoyed it. Sections E & F are best for larger rigs as there are more level sites in these sections. Here's some photos while we were there (top left photo is us on site E01 - there are several sites in E that I'd recommend for MH's). I've got a few more photos here, in my campground photo section of iRV2. I've also got a review on it in the CG Reviews section.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020256 (Small).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	255   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020268 (Small).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	256  

Name:	P1020279 (Small).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	257   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020361 (Small).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	258  

Name:	P1020269 (Small).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	259   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020347 (Small).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	260  

Name:	P1020266 (Small).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	261   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020278 (Small).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	263  

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Mountain Top Campground is 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh with easy access to the North Hills. I live about 5 miles from the campground. The campground supplies all the campfire wood you want to burn for free.

$40 a day but 1/2 price on day rates for Passport America, Escapees and Happy Camper members ($20.00 for 30/50 amp). You can join Passport America at the campground when checking in for a few dollars.

http://www.mountaintopbluegrass.com/campground.htm

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaetonNick View Post
This summer we will traveling thru Pittsburgh, Pa and want to stop for a few days.

Unfortunately, I have not ben able to find any campgrounds close to the city (North Hills preferred) .

Anyone have any sugestions???
This map shows all of the parks I know of within 25 miles of Pittsburgh. It does look like Mountain Top is closest to North Hills.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
paz

PhaetonNick, another possibility north of the city is Rose Point Campground.

BTW, from your name, I take it you own a Tiffin Phaeton. If you need service while in Pittsburgh or if you want to check out a new model, stop into Clem's Trailer Sales in Ellwood City (north of Pittsburgh). As of today, their web site shows they have a 2009 Phaeton 42QRH in stock. I have no affilliation with Clem's - they're just good people.

NLOVNIT
, what is the status of pets being permitted in the camping area of Raccoon Creek? Last we heard, a few PA State Park campgrounds were allowing them, but most were not. A few years ago when we inquired about pets at another state park campground (not Raccoon), they said pets were permitted, but only in the overflow area where there were no hookups.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The last few years PA. State parks have been starting to allow more pet area camping. I know just last year Laurel Hill SP. allows pets in the lower loop. Here is a link to PA.'s State Park website on Info. for parks that allow pets. PA. SP's Pets List
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
paz,

F loop (suitable for MH's) allows pets. In the pics above (below the one of us on site E01), the one with the roadway having the asphalt squiggles with the MH on the right is F loop. I've got a close up of that site, #F31, below. Also, in those above posted CG pics, the one at the bottom right column is site #F23 (also MH suitable).

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020281 (Small).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	276  
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #9

Looks as if Mounton Top is the best place for our needs. Thanks to all that responded.

One question. I looked Mounton Top up on RVparkreviews and while they got a mediocre review, one of the biggest concerns seemed to be the road leading up to the park.

"Up on a mountain top literally and the last 1/4 mile is one lane loose gravel twisting and turning."

"The road is enough to cause major heart failure"

"Access is not for the faint hearted"

These were some of the comments. Are they accurate?????

Should I be concerned??
PhaetonNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you look at the small picture at the bottom of Tom's posting, you can see that access road climbing up to the campground. While the campground rating you quoted claims that it's not for the faint hearted, they could have probably said the same thing for a number of campgrounds in Pennsylvania as many of them are reached via some steep grade.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
.... a number of campgrounds in Pennsylvania as many of them are reached via some steep grade.
This is true of the entrance to Raccoon Creek SP campground off of PA-18. Although paved, it's a steep climb with a hairpin turn albout half way up.

Don't let the terrain deter you. The views you have after reaching the campgrounds in western PA are worth the climb.

Lori-
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
paz

Lori - thanks for the info on Raccoon SP. Our daughter lives near there. We usually park our rig next to their garage, but they only have 15 amp power available. Raccoon might be a real good option for a place to stay when it's hot in summer and we need to run the AC.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaetonNick View Post
Looks as if Mounton Top is the best place for our needs. Thanks to all that responded.

One question. I looked Mounton Top up on RVparkreviews and while they got a mediocre review, one of the biggest concerns seemed to be the road leading up to the park.

"Up on a mountain top literally and the last 1/4 mile is one lane loose gravel twisting and turning."

"The road is enough to cause major heart failure"

"Access is not for the faint hearted"

These were some of the comments. Are they accurate?????

Should I be concerned??
I have personally been to Mountain Top. The entrance road is not a problem. Don't be concerned. In the photos you'll see many large motorhomes parked at the campground. They all used the entrance road.

I have spoken to the owner. He is a very nice fellow and he will treat you great.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #14

One of the first campgrounds we stayed in was Mountaintop.I was a new owner and had no problem with the roads.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote