Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Planning a long trip and where to stay for overnights

Hello everyone,
I am planning a trip from PA to arizona and trying to plan the route. I want to use scenic routes and find places to boondock or one-night camp along the way. Does anyone have any experience planning a route/itinerary like this and how to figure out which roads dont have tunnels, or low clearances etc... and boondocking places along the way?

Thank you for any and all advice,
Tony
OnCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #2

Hi Im new here also but I did recently find these sites that might be helpful
www.AITAonline.com
United States of AmericaRV Dump Stations Im sure some of the long time members can give you alot more info
Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

As far as tunnels and low clearances, pick a motor carriers atlas at a truck stop. Also gives steep grade info.
shortimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #4

We took a four month trip around the country this past year. We only had a number of for sure places we wanted to see and a general direction to go. We did not want to limit ourselves to pre-planned places and a time schedule. We would go on-line, review the map or read the road signs for places we wanted to see. I guess my recommendation would be to wing it and not overplan. Every place is this country has very neat and interesting things to see and do. Enjoy.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Just did that trip in April but not necessarily the scenic route.

If doing scenic routes DO NOT rely on the truckers atlas. If its off the main interstates and state highways, low clearances will NOT be listed there. Keep your eyes open and read the warning signs. Also go on Google Maps and click on street view to get a great view of what you will encounter on each route.

Some out of the way stop suggestions:
- Falling Waters in western PA
- Fenton Glass in northern WV
- Cardinals baseball game in St. Louis
- largest McDonalds on the OK Turnpike
- Petrified Forest AZ
- Meteor Crater AZ
- Grand Canyon Skywalk, 2 hours north of Kingman AZ
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #6

I depend on a Motor Carriers Road Atlas. I stay on roads highlighted in yellow, which means that road is designated for commercial truck traffic. You may purchase a truckers GPS unit that has low clearances included in the software, if you feel the need.
Overnighting in empty church parking lots is one option, unless signage states otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Ridge Parkway From Roanoke VA to as far south as GA Through NC is very beautiful & senic. RV friendly, but no comercial traffic, max speed is 45mph & almost everyone on the parkway is there to enjoy it. Thier not in a hurry & you wouldn't be holding up traffic. There are several campgrounds along the route, private off the parkway & state owned on the parkway.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #8

www.freecampgrounds.com , Passport America book, Fair Grounds
Keep your eyes pealed for city and county CG's some are free.
Trailer Life or Woodalls CG guides. They also show some state and federal CG's
I am a full timer.
Twice in four years, for a holiday only, did I make any reservations. I was turned away from a campground four times in that time but the CG called around for me and sent me elsewhere which turned out fine.

You will not encounter low bridge problems on interstates, US highways or state roads. I have, shall we say, investigated alternative routes ( says I to my dog "Snickers I goofed again") and I have never found a bridge too low to pass under. A few were a bit closer than I would prefer and I stopped at it to see about clearance. Then I went under very slowly. I am about 12' 6" tall. If a big truck went under I am good to go there too.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, itinerary, routes