Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2023, 07:47 PM   #1

Question Planning? How far out?

We are planning an "epic" road trip starting in May and ending in October. Heading out to see as much of the USA as possible..

My question - how far out to make reservations at KOA's and the like?

We have reservation in Yellowstone and in Vegas, but the rest is still open.

Should we "wing it" and make them as we go (maybe a week out), or get them set now and cancel/edit if an interruption/delay happens?

Your thoughts....
flbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2023, 08:17 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Its hard to say, you might get lucky if you decide to wing it but you might not. Are you flexible and can stay in alternate locations that might be some distance from the attraction you are trying to visit?

I already have full reservations for my fall 2023 trip that starts Sept. 21 and ends Oct 21, and some of the campgrounds were already fully booked for my dates.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:25 PM   #3

If they are popular locations and/or at popular times, you are likely already too late. They can book up months-years in advance.

We left for our winter "trip" 3 weeks ago and we have at least 8 more weeks on the road before we head back to our home area. No reservations of any kind, oh wait, sorry, we boondock Been 1.5 years since we have been in any campground and that was only for a specific event. Spent 8 months in the RV last year.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:33 PM   #4

I'm a worrier and a planner so I have reservations made for our spring trip of about a month and have all reservations for a summer 3 month trip.
I was a little surprised and found some places were filling up and did not get in two places that I wanted. But we are staying in the east and don't boondock except for a single night on the road ocassionally.
Reservations may not be necessary, but I feel more at ease with them.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4th of July....best make reservations NOW.

Are you going to Salt Lake City on your trip?

Will you be on the Pacific Coast at all?

Are you going near Sturgis?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 03:04 AM   #6

To any trip there are alot of variables and such. I myself am a believer in making reservations as soon as possible. I like the feeling of knowing that I have a place to rest my head.

So much depends on where and when you are going to a location. I have found weekdays only you may get by without a reservataion, but for a weekend you most likely will need one. You are looking at a long time on the road and my changes to your plans may happen. If it were me I would set your anticipated route. Pick out the major places you are wanting to stop at and make reservations for them. Read the cancelation policy for the parks you are staying at, some are easier to work with than others.

Looks like a great trip have fun
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I'm a worrier and a planner so I have reservations made for our spring trip of about a month and have all reservations for a summer 3 month trip.
I was a little surprised and found some places were filling up and did not get in two places that I wanted. But we are staying in the east and don't boondock except for a single night on the road ocassionally.
Reservations may not be necessary, but I feel more at ease with them.
Thanks,
I'm a worrier, a planner, AND a control freak We have a 2 weeker next month and I had that one fully booked last fall. We have a 2 week this fall and it's fully booked as well. I used to just make the destination RV Park reservations & just kind of wing the getting there/getting home stays. All it took was a couple disappointing "no vacancy" replies. Yes of course there are typically other options including boondocking but I like the sure thing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:47 AM   #8

I would make reservations for your destinations as soon as possible. Some places will only accept reservations 4-6 months out, so that may depend on where you plan to stay. As far as places to stay while traveling, we took a 2 week road trip out west last summer and had no problems finding a place to stay (usually a KOA) at the last minute. You just have to be prepared to overnight at a Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, or rest stop in case that doesn't work out!
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #9
Community Moderator

It would depend on a couple of things:
are you willing/capable to boondock, is it okay for the wife to boondock without hookups, the locations you plan on going are they tourist areas?

We full time, I have trips planned out for up to a year in advance on the computer. We have our winter/spring 23/24 in the planning stages now. If we plan on an area that is a tourist area and over the weekend, we make reservations, even for a Harvest Host spot.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbill View Post
We are planning an "epic" road trip starting in May and ending in October. Heading out to see as much of the USA as possible..

My question - how far out to make reservations at KOA's and the like?

We have reservation in Yellowstone and in Vegas, but the rest is still open.

Should we "wing it" and make them as we go (maybe a week out), or get them set now and cancel/edit if an interruption/delay happens?

Your thoughts....
Really, really the best answer is: It Depends

Type of RV?

Generator? Is it needed?

Self-Contained?

Boondocking?

Walmart and such?

If it was us, I'd worry about the gotta's and make sure they were nailed down well and then probably fill in the spaces as we went.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend reservations. For a trip starting in May, you may have trouble finding sites near destinations and tourist areas. Look for campsites a bit farther from your tourist area. Weekends and holidays are especially crowded. You can generally forget about state parks and COE parks on weekends as they are most likely already booked.

KOAs in destination areas are most likely booked for the summer.

Good luck and good hunting.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #12

Some places are booked 6 months ahead but I have never thought that booking your stays for an RV resort 6 months ahead was part of what I wanted to do. Wing it
SnowG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #13

In five years I’ve never made a reservation more than a few days in advance. Usually a few hours if at all. I like the freedom of not having to be anywhere at anytime.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #14

If I have a specific event to attend then I reserve as soon as my participation in the event is finalized. If I am linking multiple events, I will then make reservations as soon as possible between events to make sure I can get from one to the other and be relaxed and rested upon arrival. I'll make reservations as soon as the location I want is released/open.

If I have no fixed agenda, then I just wing it. Maybe trying to reserve 3-7 days in advance. All depends on how popular a place it.