Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Planning trip from California to Oregon /Washington in April....

Hi Everyone

MY wife and I are planning on taking our RV on a trip up to Orgon and Washgton in April with our two dogs. It will be about two weeks...

Does anybody have any ideas on what would be the best route, and if that wil be enough time?

Thanks!

Mike
mftroop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just time for a quick response at the moment, but I'd suggest that the April timeframe for your trip probably means that the coastal route would make the most sense, since anything at elevation could still be chilly, and unwexpected storms are still possible. Otherwise, I'd really recommend heading up 395 along the eastern side of the Sierra. Beautiful country, and far more rural. Good luck with your plans!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
IF it were me I'd head north on I-5 and south on US101. Easier to get in and out of pull outs & coastal view points when heading south on 101, you don't have to fight both lanes of traffic when heading south. Most view points are on the coast side of 101. As far as time that depends on how long you stay at various overnight locations and how far north you want to go. Two weeks isn't much time for that trip in my opinion. Don't forget rain gear.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
IF it were me I'd head north on I-5 and south on US101. Easier to get in and out of pull outs & coastal view points when heading south on 101, you don't have to fight both lanes of traffic when heading south. Most view points are on the coast side of 101. As far as time that depends on how long you stay at various overnight locations and how far north you want to go. Two weeks isn't much time for that trip in my opinion. Don't forget rain gear.
Bob makes an excellent point. Plus....the later in the month the better from a weather standpoint, I'd think.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I would 2nd 395 ! Beautiful scenery, rural, light traffic. Just check CalTrans for conditions. I came down from Washington in January and although a bit chilly the roads were just fine.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

I'd say it kinda depends on what your looking for and where you're starting. The coast is alway a great choice, you can cover a lot of ground on I-5 and sorta of take a few side trips. Hwy 97, north of Weed, to take a rural trip through the mountains of the central parts of the states, through Bend to the Dalles, and like ABrask said you can't go wrong with hwy 395.
YoLeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

From a previous post it looks like you might be new to RVing and might be leaving from the Los Angeles area.

Therefore, I'd suggest going over to Bakersfield and picking up Hwy 395 on the eastern Sierras and take that up through California. It's an absolutely beautiful drive without the I-5 traffic and billboards.

When you get into Oregon take 97 north to I-84 and head west along the Columbia River to Portland, Oregon. Then pick up Hwy 30 over to Astoria, Oregon and work your way south along the coast staying at three or four of the wonderful state parks down the state. It's always better to drive the Oregon coast from north to south because then you'll be able to use the many pull-outs to take in the views which are on the passenger/ocean side. You won't have to cross the highway to get to those viewpoints.

You could take Hwy 101 south to San Francisco and then I-5 to home. It's a RV-friendly highway.

I wouldn't advise getting on Hwy 1 with your RV which is altogether different from 101 - lots of curves and drop-offs.

For this trip I'd also advise to skip Washington. Two weeks will be filled with just Oregon.

Have fun planning!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Loved our trip to Oregon, just crossed into Washington as we cut over to Astoria on the coast. Beautiful state with polite Drivers and nice roads, both instantly changed when crossing back into California.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hello,

Start by getting your Oregon State Parks 2015/2016 Guide.
For a free 2015-2016 Oregon State Parks Guide - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

First start your travel plan with the return route to SoCal, driving South along the Oregon Coast taking Hwy-101 from Astoria, OR. As mentioned earlier, you want the Pacific Ocean on the passenger side for better DW scenic views, taking photos and easy access to turnouts/vistas (there will be a lot). The Oregon Coast is beautiful with a lot of beaches, RV Parks and tourist attractions. A few places to see are Astoria (Ft. Stevens SP), Tillamook, Newport, Coos Bay, Brookings, etc. You will also enjoy the Calif. Redwoods as you continue south on HWY-101.

Your second decision is which route to take traveling North thru Oregon. Your choices are I-5 to Portland, I-5/HWY-97 thru Klamath Falls, Crater Lake, Bend, Sisters, Columbia River, Portland or HWY-395 to Bend, Sisters, Columbia River, Portland. April is early in the vacation season, so weather will be be a big factor in this decision.

Adding Washington may be too much for this 2-week trip. Spend your time in Oregon/NorCal. Oregon has a great State Park System. Spend your time there.

DW and I are planning a similar trip this fall.

Safe travels!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

I agree with Larry. Two weeks isn't enough to really experience both OR and WA. The Oregon Coast is worth travelling slowly to see everything. We did it four times in two different RVs before we sold our last rig. The WA coast is scenic in some places and the rain forest area is worth a visit, but it's mainly small towns with not much activity.

Tags
california