Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #1

Pleasant surprise from Washington State Parks

Our first trip in our recently purchased 02 Georgetown was to Steamboat Rock State Park, south of Grand Coulee dam in Eastern WA. We weren't properly equipped for the 95+ temps or the hordes of hungry mosquitoes. We're Washington residents, so we should've known better!

We had reserved 2 nights at the Park using the on-line reservation system. After the first, very uncomforatble night we decided to move on to a cooler location. We left a note in the "Iron Ranger" explaining the situation, advising that the site would be available and offering to forfeit the fee already paid.

Imagine the surpise when yesterday's mail included an envepope from the State Auditor's office with a check refunding our second night's fee. Way to go, Washington State Parks.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is pretty awesome and a complete surprise. I never would have expected that either.

Thanks for letting us know about that park. I am NOT a fan of the flying vampires!!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
it has been our experience with WA State Parks - that if you leave earlier than the reserved stay (and let them know you are doing this) - they provide a refund
yes - great customer service!
regards, pdq
(peter)
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I know some more state park systems that could take a que from WA. WA knows how to take care of its campers!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

I did get a chuckle when researching where to go on our last trip. Several friends have recommended Scenic Beach State Park, on the Kitsap Peninsula. When I looked it up, I found that it's one of the parks that the State operated jointly with Tacoma Power and Light.

The amusing thing is that it doesn't have any hook-ups!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
....Tacoma Power and Light.....doesn't have any hook-ups!
Frank: that small fact did not escape me either while doing research.
I just thought "how odd"

pdq
Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sure hope the refund didn't have to come out of Christine's pocket.

BTW where DID you go to escape the heat? A true Washingtonian Hamster weather whimp here.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #8

We headed back towrds the eastern slopes and found a really nice CG near Peshastin, more by good luck than good management, since we were using a 2007 TL directory that came with the rig.

It's called "Blu-Shastin", and is about 7 miles south of Highway 2 on 97 headed towards Blewitt Pass. I think it was set up before slide-outs became popular, as the sites are a bit close together. We had a spot backing onto a small river, maybe 25' across and only about 18" deep. Our two Labs loved it. It was still on the warm side, but a lot less than Steamboat Rock.