Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

97 - Collier Memorial State Park for touring Crater Lake NP or stay at Crater Lake's campground. Further north on 97 is Newberry Nat'l Volcanic Monument and LaPine State Park. Just north of Redmond, OR is Smith Rock State Par and The Cove Palisades State Park.

At Sisters, OR/Bend area - there's Indian Ford Nat'l Forest campground in Deschutes NF - just 5 miles on US20 off 97.

At Rufus on 97 and the Columbia River there's Deschutes River State Rec Area. In same area at Rufus in a Corp of Engineers park on the Columbia - I-84, Exit 109 - good place to watch windsurfers. Farther west along I-84 is Ainsworth State Park at the Columbia and it would be good if you wanted to tour Portland. Loops N-0, outer sites are good for big rigs.

Take 205 to I-5 north out of Portland to Kelso, WA. Take Hwy 4 west along the Columbia to 401 south toward Astoria. Crossing the Astoria bridge is exciting!!!

Once you're in Oregon on 101 heading south, stop at Fort Stevens State Park and tour the upper third along 101. Astoria is a neat town.

At Tillamook (stop for cheese or ice cream) there's the small Tillamook Airport where boondocking was allowed on a paved area in front of the vintage planes & museum.

Midway down 101 is Beverly Beach or Carl Washburne Sate Parks. Farther south is Bullards Beach State Park and Cape Blanco State Park (no reservations accepted here but we always got a site - even for Labor Day weekend). Cape Blanco is a lovely quiet park with a beautiful deserted beach and a lighthouse.

Bandon is a neat little town.

Florence - Harbor Vista, Lane County Park and we've also stayed at Sutton Nat'l Forest campground (Siuslow NF)

At the California border is Harris Beach State Park. The 'A' loop is best for bigger rigs.

If you want to stay at national forest campgrounds there are plenty along 97 and some down the coast on 101. Here's an excellent reference for national forest campgrounds across the country. These folks actually visited them all. Just look on a map to find what national forest you want to stay and then use this reference to find campgrounds. We love national forest campgrounds!

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

The Oregon coast has many lighthouses to check out and great seafood restaurants. (We gave tours at Heceta Head Lighthouse at Florence).

As a side note - we traveled this whole route without reservations but we pulled in early on Monday -Thursdays. If you want to be more selective then make reservations.

Have a great trip! How much time did you say you have?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjinor View Post
go either way but the oregon coast is generally better going south .. Pull outs are all on the ocean side and 101 is a busy highway that’s more difficult to cross both lanes to head north
enjoy the trip !
yup...yup...yup !!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't know how you're planning to get from "Midwest" (your profile location) to Crescent City/Grants Pass, but if you're traveling through southern CO to the Pacific Coast, a day in Durango, CO, and a ride on the Durango-to-Silverton narrow gauge railroad (D&SNGRR) is a "MUST DO"! The 90 mile round trip (3 hours up and 3 hours back) through the rugged Animas Canyon behind a coal-fired steam engine should be on any rail buff's "Bucket List", especially on a nice weather day. Better plan on at least another 1/2 day for a self-guided visit through the museum, located in an operating roundhouse.

Rest of the posts referencing OR & WA are spot on. We would also second the plugs for Collier State Park/Logging Museum north of Klamath Falls on US97, and recommend the Evergreen Air & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR, just a few miles southwest of Portland -- plan at least one day there, with two required for any aviation or space junkies in your party! The Boeing museum in Renton, WA, just south of Seattle will burn another day, if you're not careful -- do make reservations!

Welcome to God's country, and enjoy your trip!
rjjastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #18

In the Bend area, we found Sisters to be a fun little town and a good place to home base from. We stayed at Bend/Sisters Garden RV Resort
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #19

I realize you are trying to show your travelling companions a good time but I think you are obsessing a little about having reservations too far in advance. Having your trip all planned out with reservations for every night while comforting I guess, can also be a nightmare.

What if you decide (or have to) stay an additional night somewhere, that throws a monkey wrench into the next 10 days stops. There are lots of places that you can stay, probably nothing is ruled out due to your size. I have tried it your way and left that method far behind.

Do you have a reliable way to get on the internet? I mean besides RV parks Wi-Fi which can be unreliable and slow or at least sometimes frustrating. If so you can use RVparkreviews and/or Allstays to plan your stops for the night the day you leave. When travelling, my morning coffee is on the internet for a few minutes finding a spot to stop that night. I might plan a few days stops if we are travelling a long way.

I have found out for us (and admittedly maybe not for you) that "going with the flow" is much more enjoyable than having an ironclad itinerary all locked down - with credit cards attached to it

BTW - I would not try this on a national holiday weekend - there are exceptions to the "free spirit" approach!!! Maybe even weekends near popular spots, but weekdays, should be no problem at all. You may have to drive another 30 minutes, but what the heck. You can make your railroad stops with the RV - generally you would be able to find parking most anywhere with your rig. Your passengers might also enjoy getting involved in the planning process and you can adjust as your find out what they enjoy or do not enjoy.

Bottom line, over planning and over scheduling is not the least bit enjoyable for us, maybe it is for you however. Just trying to point out that the "free spirit" approach works and offers up some additional advantages.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #20

Two Gypsies, I'll say it again, you ought to write a book about your travels!
In Florence, we stay at Port of Siuslaw.

To the OP, Fri Sat will be tough reservations to get, Sun-Thurs much easier.

Just N of Astoria is the Lewis and Clark Museum-and the Coast Guard Museum in Astoria.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Kalaloch beach CG 101, HOH rain forest CG(you won't want to miss the rain forest), Salt Creek CG West of Port Angeles, Several on Hoods Canal. Mt Rainer has several as does St Helens then the ones either side of columbia river gorge. Reverse if you do the interior the the coast.

LEN
Old 01-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

As a side note - we traveled this whole route without reservations but we pulled in early on Monday -Thursdays. If you want to be more selective then make reservations.

Have a great trip! How much time did you say you have?
Great reference! I have saved that and sure I'll be using it.

To make life easier for the two old guys with me (I'm not so young, either) I'll probably pick Joseph H. Stewart State Park for the first stop. I have 2 possible dates for the trip which are either July 10th or August 14th - both Tuesdays due to my travel time to get to where my father is (Grants Pass). I'm thinking, hoping, that August might be a bit less busy since it wasn't following a Holliday week.

I'm thinking of reserving the first night then winging the rest with the exception of the weekend which I'm still uncertain about. I see Cape Blanco takes reservations 9 months out but says Walk Up Only which has me confused.

I'm giving us roughly 7 days to make the loop so we aren't rushed.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjastone View Post
Don't know how you're planning to get from "Midwest" (your profile location) to Crescent City/Grants Pass, but if you're traveling through southern CO to the Pacific Coast, a day in Durango, CO, and a ride on the Durango-to-Silverton narrow gauge railroad (D&SNGRR) is a "MUST DO"! The 90 mile round trip (3 hours up and 3 hours back) through the rugged Animas Canyon behind a coal-fired steam engine should be on any rail buff's "Bucket List", especially on a nice weather day. Better plan on at least another 1/2 day for a self-guided visit through the museum, located in an operating roundhouse.

Rest of the posts referencing OR & WA are spot on. We would also second the plugs for Collier State Park/Logging Museum north of Klamath Falls on US97, and recommend the Evergreen Air & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR, just a few miles southwest of Portland -- plan at least one day there, with two required for any aviation or space junkies in your party! The Boeing museum in Renton, WA, just south of Seattle will burn another day, if you're not careful -- do make reservations!

Welcome to God's country, and enjoy your trip!
We are familiar with the Durango & Silverton. My father has travelled that train and it's on my list, as well. We've travelled through but never ride the train. My haul from the Midwest will be direct and I'll be travelling alone to pick up the two old guys and start our trip in Oregon. My wife and I were both raised in Grants Pass and camped extensively in the Union Creek/Diamond Lake area but we have yet to camp elsewhere in Oregon.

After reading your post I am considering Collier State Park as the first stop.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
I realize you are trying to show your travelling companions a good time but I think you are obsessing a little about having reservations too far in advance. Having your trip all planned out with reservations for every night while comforting I guess, can also be a nightmare.......

Bottom line, over planning and over scheduling is not the least bit enjoyable for us, maybe it is for you however. Just trying to point out that the "free spirit" approach works and offers up some additional advantages.
I'm taking this advice to heart and agree with you. Our trip will take us through the weekend on the central and southern coast and that has me nervous.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #25

I'm logging all the info here so, please, if you have info to share I'd love to see it.

Thanks everyone and if you're in the area we may run into each other.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #26

Weekends during July and August can be a challenge. Reservations as far in advance as practical will be helpful but not TOTALLY required. You can change your route slightly or your itinerary if you have to stay in a park off the beaten track so to speak. (Traveling down the Oregon coast gives you a little less flexibility on that score)

If you can boondock for a night, THAT takes a lot of the pressure off and can turn into something completely unexpected and great fun - especially with your group!

You will have a great time - beautiful part of the country, wonderful scenic choices.

BTW - Don't be afraid to call a park late in the day even if they already told you they are full. Sometime spaces open up due to cancellations or no-shows. Also a lot of parks have dry camping areas - back to my boondocking reference. Not quite boondocking, but can be fun 'cause you can use all of the facilities and maybe a community fire pit. Nice way to meet people if you want as well.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #27

Many, many nice state parks on the Oregon coast, from Newport south to Brookings. Just keep trying for that Fri-Sat period. Nice campground called At Rivers Edge at Brookings.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
I see Cape Blanco takes reservations 9 months out but says Walk Up Only which has me confused.
Reservations are for the cabins only. The campsites are first come. (On the top left of this link you'll see the bright green reservation 'clicky'. Look at the second line - cabins only. Further down in the campground description you'll see that they're first come.

Have a great trip with the old guys! Hope you survive, also.

Cape Blanco State Park - Oregon State Parks and Recreation
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, campground