Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #1

I posted a question last week about Sugarloafin Campground in Leadville ... but now we have changed our reservation to Priest Gulch Campground in SW Colorado. Has anyone stayed there? Is there plenty of trout fishing in the area, ghost towns to visit, and four wheeler trails to take? What other fun things to do in the area for four adults?

Thanks, Tissy

2002 Coleman C25SLB
Tissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #2

I posted a question last week about Sugarloafin Campground in Leadville ... but now we have changed our reservation to Priest Gulch Campground in SW Colorado. Has anyone stayed there? Is there plenty of trout fishing in the area, ghost towns to visit, and four wheeler trails to take? What other fun things to do in the area for four adults?

Thanks, Tissy

2002 Coleman C25SLB
Old 01-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #3

I don't know about 4 wheel trails. I have spent the night there and it is very nice. Well wooded and on a stream. My close friend spends each August there and trout fishes daily. He claims to do well. But you how fishermen lie. You can go all the way over to Ourey for lunch on a day trip. I suspect there are off road trails given the amount of NFS land, but you should check with them. McPhee resevoir is close by for lake fishing. Mesa Verde another good day trip.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #4

Thanks Moby Bill.

This will only be our second trip to Colorado. We stayed in the Buena Vista and Leadville area during the summer of 2003... and Loved It!!!

But we have decided to go to a different part of the state, I'm sure it is just as Pretty.

Tissy

2002 Coleman C25SLB
Old 01-31-2005, 04:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can't speak for the campgrounds in the area but I am familiar with that end of the state from our "pre-RV" trips there. This summer we will be staying at the KOA in Ouray as part of our Colorado-Utah trip.

Ouray is a great place. It's somewhat unique in that Colorado has lots of small mining towns that have played out about 100 years ago. Some of these become ghost towns. Some of these keep on but are pretty well beat up until they get set up with gambling in the last 10 years and then they lose all their original character.

Ouray was always kind of a "family" mining town. Instead of a main drag lined with saloons and brothels they had a school, churches, hospital, etc. When the mining played out, the people stayed behind and kept a nice little town going. It's also one of the Meccas for off road trails. There are tons of trails into the mountains that go to old abandoned mines and ghost towns. I can hardly wait to get there, unhook the Wrangler, and start climbing "stuff". You can also easily get to Telluride via 2 lane blacktop road or take the "short cut" right over the mountains. Box Canyon Falls is interesting and there is a hot springs pool on the north edge of town. A short hike from downtown will take you to a waterfall and the whole town is in this large amphitheatre. You'd think you're in Switzerland.

I would seriously consider devoting adequate time to seeing Ouray. My preferred route into Ouray is from the south. After seeing Mesa Verde I head over to Durango. Head north from Durango on the Million Dollar Highway, through Silverton, and the view just gets better and better. After crossing Red Mountain Pass (no problem pulling an RV through here) you'll come upon a ledge that overlooks the town of Ouray. It's a great view and an impressive way to enter the town. There's lots of things to do for everyone here and they have some great food and the Beaumont Hotel has recently been restored so there's plenty of cool architecture to see.

Bring plenty of film
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #6

Cruzer,

Thanks for your help. I will print your comments and suggestions and pack them in the camper for our trip. Researching and getting tips from others who have been there is part of the excitement of the trip.

Tissy

2002 Coleman C25SLB
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #7

Tissy, if you have not had a lot of experience driving a rig in the mountains, be very careful going from Durango to Ouray, CO. My first trip was in 1951, Christmas Eve. Long before the "Million Dollar Highway" was paved. Mom kept telling Dad, if you will turn around, we can go home. Dad said, there ain't a place to turn around.
To say good brakes are required from the overlook above Ouray is to say landing an airplane is a requisite. The road down is hairpins and steep. Use caution and you will be alright. When braking, don't "ride" the brakes, use them to slow down and then let them cool until you slow again. Always slow down at least 10 mph each use, then let speed build again (slowly). Use gearing to slow the rig in lieu of brakes if possible.
The road is beautiful from Durango all the way to Ouray. Numerous pull-outs for viewing.
After leaving Ouray, Ridgway has a park that is relatively new, wonderful view from the campground.
The whole area is loaded with 4-wheelin' roads, some more of a challenge than others. Local information is always best.
Have a wonderful trip, I am turning a bit green with envy right now.
Ken

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #8

MERC,

Thanks for the driving suggestions. I will pass them along to the "pilot". Sorry you are turning green - Hope it is a good color for you!! Just kidding.

Thanks, Tissy

2002 Coleman C25SLB