Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

pros and cons of camping on the beach

just purchased our 1st rv. everytime we go to the beach (mustang island/port aransas) we see rv's parked on the beach. this is one of the reasons that i wanted to get one. any downside to camping on the beach? any suggestions on what to do or even more importantly, what not to do. thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Sand gets "everywhere". Even in places you don't want it. Salt spray will rust and corrode every metal part. If you love the beach as DW and I do, it's worth it.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

If , it's anything like here in Canada, and you don't play your cards right; know the tides & watch the weather; and your RV gets swept out to sea or swamped on shore by sea water. You have no insurance. Just like the ice fishermen on the Great Lakes who are set adrift by ice breaking away from shore, someone may come for you, but they're not there to rescue your vehicle.$$$$$$$.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #4

Rooster, we were at Port A back in may, RVs on the beach looked interesting, but it would be hard to get away from the sand, and I like to keep the inside clean. We stayed at Pioneer Beach Resort, nice staff, 2 pools, and you can walk to the beach via board walk. You can take the trolly to town for .25 . Also you can rent the gas golf cards and drive from your rv to places around town by using the beach road. I think the name of the golf cart place was Brons (something like that) They were very nice , and had an arrangement with Pioneer to allow the use of their carts, just have tell them so they can remove signage, Pioneer also has a fee. Another place we checked out was down the street from the rock cottages right before you enter the beach from that road. I think they are called "on the beach rv park" something like that, very small park, but very close to the beach, fills up fast must plan ahead. Now I want to go back
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Sand gets "everywhere". Even in places you don't want it. Salt spray will rust and corrode every metal part. If you love the beach as DW and I do, it's worth it.
I'm not sure about that rust issue, my C lived the first 15 years of its life within site of the Gulf in Florida. When my mechanic first saw it he was astounded to see that not only was there no rust, paint on the underside was still shiny!

As for sand, that's super easy to deal with, place a large container near the entrance with a few inches of water in it an old towel. Before you enter the RV you stick your foot in the water, the sand instantly releases and drops to the bottom of the container. We even trained the dogs to do it.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Paying attention to the tides is a good thing!

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing to be mindfull of is how soft the sand is. It's not hard to get a mh stuck and they aren't easy to extract.

And as 'stink' says, sand does get EVERYWHERE.

But if you like the beach, it's great. If it's something you want to do often, it's probably well worth getting an inverter, several batteries and even solar panels so that you don't need to run your generator as often.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Paying attention to the tides is a good thing!
Well I have seen the terms DW & DH used on this forum, now we will have to add DA
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As big posted, seeing some rv's on the beach does not mean YOUR rv can get there and out !

Knowing the right places to drive, knowing HOW to drive thru sand, lowering psi, etc... Is an art :-)

Almost as bad as learning to ride a motorcycle in sand. !

sand in the rv is worse than in your bathing suit. (Or can I use the bucket suggestion outside for THAT too ?!?)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Add DTTD as another. "Dear Tow Truck Driver". Or DLF for "Dear Life Guard"
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Having lived at the beach most of my life, I can say that salt gets into everything. It corrodes, pits and short out so many things. A bit of wind and you have sand in everything, it will get into place you can't easily clean and then trouble sets in. No thanks.. I'll set up away from the beach and take the toad there.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #12

thanks to all of you that have responded. i think we will skip actually parking on the beach and either use one of the rv parks or use mustang island state park.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV does not go to the beach. Salt air and sand everywhere...not for me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Also, don't take good expensive bikes. They'll rust and corrode like crazy. We've spent a lot of time at Gulf Shores, Alabama and we rinsed off everything we could once a day after our expensive bike got ruined.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping