Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #1

Puerto Penasco, MX trip in April - questions

Our first RV trip to Mexico is coming up in April. We're going to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). I'll be getting some paint work done there with Carlos at The Reef RV Park.

I have a few questions for those who have been there -

- I know I have to buy Mexico insurance. Do I buy just liability or the whole enchalada? In looking at some on line pricing, the whole package appears to be about $700 for the 10 days we'll be there. That sounds kind of crazy. Am I missing something? What to buy and where tips would be appreciated.

- I'd like to get a full machine polish, wax, detail, etc done on the coach while we're there getting paint work done. Has anyone had that done over there? Any recommendations on who to do it? Cost? We're a 43 footer. Full body paint.

- We have a drawer dishwasher that leaked at one point so we have a small water stain on the cabinet below the dishwasher drawer. I'd like to get that refinished while down there. Any recommendations on who to do it?

- A small part of the vinyl headliner is sagging, we'd like to have that addressed. Any recommendations?

-I'm just toying with the idea of having some of the electronics worked on, depending on the pricing down there. Maybe a sat dish and HDMI's run. Has anyone had work like this done down there?

Recommendations on what to do, what to avoid, best way to get there, etc would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #2

Insurance: $700 for 10 days does seem high. Check around.

Leave from Lukeville, AZ - very easy 60 mile drive.

I know of people using Sanborn's for insurance. Explore the site for driving information and other info.

https://www.sanborns.com/rv/

https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/rv/insurance.html U.S. Progressive Insur uses this broker.

For repairs: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-2.html

As if recommended that you bring your own supplies such as the kind of wax you want to use, RV wash solution, Stain from Newmar for cabinet repair so it matches.

I think once you're down there and begin talking to folks at the RV park you'll get lots of recommendations.

Have fun. Sounds like this is will a working holiday!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #3

Been to Puerto Penasco many times. With and without the rv. Some buy insurance just for travel days. I buy for the time I'm going plus an extra day in case I have trouble on the way back to the US. Prices depend on your declared value of your toad and rv. They have to keep up with inflation too. I get my insurance in Ajo, AZ. As for a machine polish, if you want a quality job I'd pay the price in the US. The last place I hired mine Wash and Wax was the reef and I was not happy with the work. As for the headliner and electronics, i have no clue.

There is a route I've used from the highway to the reef. Avoids a lot of Puerto Penasco, as I recall it starts at an overpass N of town. Check it out on Google Earth/Maps.

Don't assume you have the right of way at any intersection. Use caution. We shop for groceries at Ley which is a large nice store and they take dollars. But for the best exchange rate go to an ATM or bank. We use a Schwab visa without fee's, for all travel. I take extra dollars for tips. The baggers in Ley expect a tip as does the parking lot attendant. Plus the kids that wash your windshield weather you asked them to was it or not.

ENJOY!!
Old 01-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #4

We just got back on Friday. We spend 1 week each month in the winter. I have liability insurance only, I pay $130/a year through baja Bound. The policy is based on your drivers license not your vehicle which is great for me because I drive different vehicles to Mexico. We stay at the reef exclusively and like the sites far away from the bar. Depending on the time of year and local events, it can be loud. We hang out at the beach and don't do much. Wrecked at the reef is very good bar food. Lucas style chicken is the best. We do not like downtown. The dirt mall is worth visiting to purchase junk made in China. Best way to get there is Gila Bend to Lukeville. I can send you a short cut around Rocky point and through Lukeville to the Reef, just DM me. I am always amazed at the number of vehicles that are being painted there during dust storms. Maybe you can report beck on the quality of work. I have no other knowledge of repair work recommendations. We do not go there after March as it can get very hot. The humidity is high.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #5

Rocky Point too

I’ll be heading there in April as well, after 10 yrs of trying to convince the wife it’s safe to go. What type of permit(s) do I need for the rig and the toad?

ANY info from the experienced will be greatly appreciated.

Tanx.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo View Post
I’ll be heading there in April as well, after 10 yrs of trying to convince the wife it’s safe to go. What type of permit(s) do I need for the rig and the toad?

Tanx.
I believe that "Rocky Point" is within the "free zone" so you don't need Temporary Import Permits. Insurance from a company doing business in Mexico is an absolute must. If you refer back to a previous post from "twogypsies" (2nd post in the series) there are several links to insurance providers. The one from Sanborn's has a complete list of what you need in terms of permits and paperwork.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbustoo View Post

Tanx.
No permits needed, just Mexican ins. take her in March as it can be too hot in April. The humidity is very high there, last week it was in the 60-70% range.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #8

I use Sanborn online and full coverage although I only take pickup and boat, it's around $20/day if I recall. Will be passing through Rocky Point 2nd week of April on our way further South to Puerto Lobos where my son has a house on the beach. The road beyond Rocky Point is in shambles.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
No permits needed, just Mexican ins. take her in March as it can be too hot in April. The humidity is very high there, last week it was in the 60-70% range.
I wish I could. They (her and the kiddos) are out of school that week, that’s why we’re going for the week. Thanks for all the info.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #10

Haven't been to Mexico in several years now, but we always used Sanborns for insurance. Never had a claim so I can't really say whether they're good or not, but they were convenient and reasonable on their rates when we used them.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

Haven't been in Mexico for a while so they may have changed but Sanborns was ALWAYS way more expensive than any other insurance company. They even told me one time when I mentioned that they were way more expensive (about 40%) that's what they charge. Now many of the caravans that used to use Sanborns are not going down so they may have had a wakeup call. Check around!

Geoff
Old 02-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #12

Lewis and Lewis is a good source for Insurance. I would not have my unit polished or electronics adjusted. Not everything in Mexico is cheap nor are all tradesman great. The same applies anywhere.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Lewis and Lewis is a good source for Insurance. I would not have my unit polished or electronics adjusted. Not everything in Mexico is cheap nor are all tradesman great. The same applies anywhere.
I will second the recommendation for Lewis and Lewis for your Mexican insurance needs. For 10 years we summered over our boat in Puerto Vallarta and occasionally drove down to carry hard to ship boat parts. We used Lewis and Lewis at the suggestion of my boat insurance broker. They are a brokerage firm located in Los Angeles (Google Lewis and Lewis Insurance). They represent a number of Mexican companies and seek out the best coverages for you. Labor in Mexico is cheap but imported goods are not. If you are having any work done do take into consideration that Manana does not mean tomorrow but rather "sometime in the future", your 3 day "repair job" could end up being 3 weeks.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #14

Here are some pictures. The wind as blowing pretty hard this week, I only saw them working on Rv's for 1 of those days. Building is making some progress, door on but roof not complete. The first pic of the 2 rv's in the sanding stage, they both were her last month, same spot.