Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Quartsite, AZ boondocking

We're taking the coach to AZ, leaving Minnesota the week of Jan 22, weather permitting! We are thinking of spending a few days in Quartsite before heading to our RV park in Mesa. Where do you actually go to boondock? North on 95? Pulling a toad, so you know what that means as far as turning around because I'm not where I want to be. . . I expect we will still have the coach winterized, yet when we get there, so will need to flush our system. Where could we do that and get fresh water?

As far as that goes, what do others do for unwinterizing on the road? I've gotten fresh water at my brother's place near Lawton, OK before, but the new (to us) coach won't fit in his drive. Maybe part of our problem is we typically avoid campgrounds when traveling and boondock along the way.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are also planning on going to Quartzite this winter for a while, along a few thousand other people, 250,000 in recent years. There are several BLM boondocking camp areas near town, both north and south on 95. There are no campsites in these BLM areas, just wide open desert, park any place you like within these areas. For a small fee you can stay like 180 days. At the BLM site south of town they do provide water and a dump station, it maybe busy at certain times of the day. There is also a private place called The Pit Stop in town to dump and refill water and propane for a fee.

There is a huge amount of info about these areas on the web, just Google for Quartzite and read for hours. Also recommend you use maps.google.com to see what these areas look like. Its a maze of dirt roads on flat desert landscape.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First time probably easiest is the BLM areas to the south - on both sides of the highway. They are well marked and a small building at the entry from the highway.

Then do some exploring and you will see the myriad of other options for next time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The BLM land south of town, and north of mile marker 99 charges $40.00 for two weeks and $180 for the season. There is water and a dump station at La Posa South that is included in the price. In addition to the Pit Stop in town there is also Patties RV Park that has propane.

BLM land at mile marker 99(south of town), Hi Jolly and Plomosa Road(north of town), Scadden Wash(east of town) and Domerock(west of town) are free for 14 days, but offer no services.

Also, the sticker you get when you pay at BLM land south of town entitles you to stay at a few other BLM areas in Arizona and California.

Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce & Tourism - RV & Camping
Old 11-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
The BLM land south of town, and north of mile marker 99 charges $40.00 for two weeks and $180 for the season. There is water and a dump station at La Posa South that is included in the price. In addition to the Pit Stop in town there is also Patties RV Park that has propane.

BLM land at mile marker 99(south of town), Hi Jolly and Plomosa Road(north of town), Scadden Wash(east of town) and Domerock(west of town) are free for 14 days, but offer no services.

Also, the sticker you get when you pay at BLM land south of town entitles you to stay at a few other BLM areas in Arizona and California.

Quartzsite Chamber of Commerce & Tourism - RV & Camping
The OP is only planning to spend a couple nights and there are free places to park. No need to pay those prices.

Coming from I-10 westward probably the easiest free place is Scadden Wash. Take Exit 19 south just before Hwy 95. You'll see many RVs parked along the south frontage road - nice and flat. Plenty of room along the frontage road to disconnect your towed vehicle, if necessary, before pulling into your spot.

OP: I would think you will want to de-winterize long before getting to Quartzsite. You'll be driving in much warmer temps before Q. It will be a lot easier to do in a RV park beforehand rather than at Q.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
We're taking the coach to AZ, leaving Minnesota the week of Jan 22, weather permitting! We are thinking of spending a few days in Quartsite before heading to our RV park in Mesa. Where do you actually go to boondock? North on 95? Pulling a toad, so you know what that means as far as turning around because I'm not where I want to be. . . I expect we will still have the coach winterized, yet when we get there, so will need to flush our system. Where could we do that and get fresh water?

As far as that goes, what do others do for unwinterizing on the road? I've gotten fresh water at my brother's place near Lawton, OK before, but the new (to us) coach won't fit in his drive. Maybe part of our problem is we typically avoid campgrounds when traveling and boondock along the way.
we haul 1 gallon jugs of water when we leave Ohio. Once we get to warmer areas we will hit a campground and dewinterize.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Looks like Quartsite will work out for us, for a few days, anyway. Should be able to catch a rock and gem show and an RV show. We'll dewinterize somewhere along the way.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

Kind of of the subject, but do those of you that have boondocked in Quartzsite ride bicycles? I have a couple of folding bikes (not mountain bikes), and was wondering if the surface of the dirt roads in and out of the CG's are hard enough for street type tires to work. If I was in say the south LTVA , is riding into Quartzsite doable? Thanks for your help.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If you haven't been there are a lot of you tube videos showing the wide open area and then the 250,000 people and RV's when the show starts.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Kind of of the subject, but do those of you that have boondocked in Quartzsite ride bicycles? I have a couple of folding bikes (not mountain bikes), and was wondering if the surface of the dirt roads in and out of the CG's are hard enough for street type tires to work. If I was in say the south LTVA , is riding into Quartzsite doable? Thanks for your help.
Yes, the gravel roads are hard-packed from the thousands of RVs that travel them. They are also all fairy flat areas. However, be prepared to get dusty.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Yes, the gravel roads are hard-packed from the thousands of RVs that travel them. They are also all fairy flat areas. However, be prepared to get dusty.

Thanks for clearing that up.
RVM #104
Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Dasmoeturhead, we stay at Scadden Wash(free) because it is easy in and out with a tow vehicle and close to all amenities in town. The farther back you go in the quieter it gets, as it parallels I-10 and gets noisy if you are up front. We go back to where the huge power transmission towers are and it is quiet there. I take my road bike which I have to load on the car rack and drive to a spot to park and begin my ride, as I can't ride on the hard packed areas. There is plenty of parking for your tow vehicle at the Standard station across the freeway and from there you can connect to a bike path that goes north and west. I find all paved roads in Quartzsite are a nice bike ride as long as you stay on the north side of the freeway. We will be there on the 20th for about 7-10 days.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

We are in Q now. Been here a couple of weeks. You can Boondock N, S & E of town. Water in town at 2 locations: 1-N & 1-E of big tent. $5 for W, $15 for D. You can pay to Boondock or Boondock for Free. I like Free. Windy today.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Dasmoeturhead, we stay at Scadden Wash(free) because it is easy in and out with a tow vehicle and close to all amenities in town. The farther back you go in the quieter it gets, as it parallels I-10 and gets noisy if you are up front. We go back to where the huge power transmission towers are and it is quiet there. I take my road bike which I have to load on the car rack and drive to a spot to park and begin my ride, as I can't ride on the hard packed areas. There is plenty of parking for your tow vehicle at the Standard station across the freeway and from there you can connect to a bike path that goes north and west. I find all paved roads in Quartzsite are a nice bike ride as long as you stay on the north side of the freeway. We will be there on the 20th for about 7-10 days.
Ok thanks. My bike has the 700's size tires (road tires) so thanks for that info. My folding bike has larger width tires that are probably better for dirt roads, but that bike doesn't have the carrying capacity that my Janis commuter does. I've used this bike for getting groceries and what not for years. Sounds like my favorite grocery getter might not work that great out there.

Tags
boondocking