Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Quartzsite Arizona

Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone can give us some info and advice concerning Quartz Site ! We r newbies headed that way and need some help and guidance! Thank u
Nicolaskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

The best advice I can give on this enormous topic is: go to YouTube and type Quartzsite, AZ into the search bar. You will get a pretty good preview that way.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

For starters:

Here:
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Boondocki...Arizona-Desert

here:
https://rvshare.com/blog/boondocking-quartzsite-az/

and here:
http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/...water-disposa/

And yes YT.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

You didn't give much information on your purpose of going and if you want to boondock free, boondock long-term and pay or stay in a RV park. Also, the busiest time are the last two weeks of January during the 'RV Show' under the big tent. Other times the same vendors will be there minus the tent and RV dealers who haul mostly used RVs there for sale.

Here's a good website and gives a map of the camping areas. Just look for an empty spot and park. It's yours. Pick a level area as opposed to having to cross a deep wash (ditch).

Have fun! Everyone should do it at least once. Some love it; some not. You'll see many speciality groups camped together such as those with the same mfg. of RV, ham radio operators, ATVers, Jeepers, etc. To many, it's more of an annual gathering of friends. They take off in groups to explore the countryside and next towns; not necessarily being there for the Quartzsite shopping itself.

https://quartzsitetourism.com/explore-quartzsite/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
One word of caution. Do not under any circumstance park in a wash or gully. Every once in awhile, it does rain and when it does, the washes and gully's become a raging river. There is plenty of level high ground to park on. As said, pick a spot and it is yours
Old 12-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #6

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYo...A1YjkqvaUinT0Q

Russ has a LOT of video, shot in the last month, showing almost everything you would ever want to know about Quartzsite
Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on Russ from RVerTV.

He does a lot of footage and flies a drone over the areas so you can see the terrain. He's been spotting for the RTR on his latest videos.

He does go outside Quartzite in some of the videos to other BLM lands nearby if you prefer more quiet areas.

Like someone mentioned, its the desert.....wind and rain do occur there. Stay away from washes. Russ has a video from two weeks ago that show how fast the water comes and how much there is.

If you go, have fun!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

We are currently in Quartzsite. You didn't say whether you were planning on boondocking or seeking an RV park. If you're looking for park space, call them in advance to get a reservation, as many will already be reserved out for the season.

You didn't mention where you were coming from? You will want to stop off for a supply run before arriving in town, fill up on all the essentials you can think of....paper goods, food, soaps, etc., the local grocery stores are very expensive. Not to mention getting in and out of the local Dollar General, it can become a madhouse when the shows are going on. Have all of your laundry done, too...that will help you out in regards to efficiency.

We're here as vendors, and the first show at our location (Tyson Wells) is the Rock n' Gem show, which starts on Jan 4-13th. The second show is the biggest one, with the Big Tent and RV show, it's called the Sell-A-Rama, and it runs from Jan 18-27th and the third show, which is the Arts and Crafts Fair runs from Feb 1st-10th.

This entire town morphs into a huge outdoor marketplace, so the shopping, rock hounding and people/RV watching are epic!

Ditto on the mention of Rver TV! Russ can show you all around town in the comfort of wherever you are by logging onto his YouTube channel. He's a great narrator as well as thorough in explaining "everything Quartzsite".

Let us know if you have any questions after doing a little research and reading, and Welcome to Quartzsite!
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #9

Every one should do it once but I personally wouldn't drive out of my way to go back.

So I wonder how the government shutdown would affect this area, isn't that BLM and thus be closed?
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
We are currently in Quartzsite.
Cool - I was wondering if there's any off the air TV to be picked up in town or the surrounding BLM sites. I looked it up on the TVFool website and it shows the closest TV station as 45 miles away. That doesn't seem right but maybe it is, but nothing like having an eyewitness on the scene to confirm.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #11

Wink Would not miss it!

We will be returning for the 7th year in a row, would not miss it. that being said a couple of caveats... 2 days and nights for us is plenty. We stay at the Rice Ranch RV Park {for lack of a better term} - large gravel lot that does have full hook ups but we dry camp for $7 a night.

What it does offer is the best location in Quartzite, southeast corner of Kuehn and 95 just a short walk across the street to the big tent. Beer Belly's Adult Day Care {a fun burger and beer bar with live music every day}. You will be ground zero for the mega swap meet action not to mention the big RV Show/sales.

This year we are doing 4 days up at Buckskin Mountain SP right on the river north of Parker. Will be out riding my Indian every day {Laughlin, Oatman, kingman etc and then relocating down to the Q on the opening Saturday of the big show.

Quartzite is not for everyone but as noted everyone should go at least once {then make up your own mind}.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
Every one should do it once but I personally wouldn't drive out of my way to go back.

So I wonder how the government shutdown would affect this area, isn't that BLM and thus be closed?
We did it twice, not sure I'll go back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Cool - I was wondering if there's any off the air TV to be picked up in town or the surrounding BLM sites. I looked it up on the TVFool website and it shows the closest TV station as 45 miles away. That doesn't seem right but maybe it is, but nothing like having an eyewitness on the scene to confirm.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Hi, Mark. I wouldn't count on TV out here. When we first came here we "attempted" to get TV with a small antennae. After much moving it around and messing with the thing... and about 20 cuss words, we had no luck with it. Someone had posted a YouTube video about trying a 20 ft antennae, and it still didn't work here. We wandered around in search of some DVDs at the swaps, which we watched several of for $2 each. Then, we broke down and finally just bought the Dish King Tailgater on Amazon, and we haven't looked back since. Works great and we now have satellite anywhere we park it.
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #14

My crank up batwing has no problems pulling in stations from Phoenix when in Quartzsite.....in Yuma this year, and get some locals, but the towers here are all over the place
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, quartzsite