Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2023, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
We must be related! My father's side also migrated to New France in the 1600's. Someone in our family traced our heritage in France to around 400 AD.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Possibly, but there was a great migration to New France to settle it under the French flag in the 1600s -- much, if not most, from the Perche region. I haven't seen my heritage traced back as far as you say yours has been -- but certainly to the 17th C and a bit earlier (as I understand it, it gets murky the farther back you go, because surnames weren't in use until the 1100s or so. Church records, providing perhaps the best documentation of births, marriages and deaths, were often lost to fire.)

My surname is Gagne (very common in NH) but my paternal ancestors were known by the name Gasnier in France. I have 2 other ancestral lines as well from France --my paternal and maternal grandmothers. This fascinates me now -- I wish it did when I was much younger and I had living parents and grandparents to ask questions of.

Sorry for digressing!
Finally_Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2023, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by divey View Post
Speaking and/or understanding the language is always a plus but we (both of us English speaking only) spent about 2 weeks travelling through Quebec last year and never once ran into a language problem. In the smaller more rural areas, of course the locals always greet you with French initially but once they recognized that we didn't speak or understand French, they tripped over themselves to get us a co-worker or friend who could speak English. Due to road construction/detours, we were forced to drive (truck and trailer) right through Montreal. If you have a good GPS and a trusted co-pilot, you'll do just fine with the French only signage. Quebec was one of the highlights of our journey and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Old Quebec City is not to be missed.
I agree with you!
Finally_Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:22 PM   #17

Québec City is a wonderful tourist town. We live close to Montréal, but since my GF was raised near Quebec City, and we have friends that live and work there, we go practically every year.

Try and check if cruise ships are hitting port the days you plan to visit. Ships haven't been here much the past 2-3 years, and with restrictions lifted, they plan on seeing a LOT of ships this summer. The old town can get overrun when 1,2 and sometimes 3 ships dock at one time. It'll be more pleasant if there aren't a bunch of rushed people running about.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park