RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Question about Yellowstone reservations

Hello-

We're planning a trip to Yellowstone in the summer of 2018, and I am taking the advice I read multiple times on the various threads on this forum to plan early.

I called the reservations number to make a August 2018 reservation and the recording said that reservations for summer 2018 don't open until May 1st, 2017.

Question: Per the numerous threads on this forum, everyone wants to go to Yellowstone in the summer and it's tough to get reservations for the Fishing Bridge RV campground. On May 1st, do I need to be calling the reservations number at midnight and one second or have my finger hovering over the "enter" key on my reservation the second after midnight for August 2018 reservations like I'm buying U2 tickets from Ticketmaster? Or will my friends and I be able to "get it done" by calling sometime during May 1st after work, for example?

Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Last time I stayed in Fishing Bridge Campgrounds we drove right up with no reservation. Of course that was back when we feed the bears from our vehicle. Guess I can't help you with your question.
Oh have been back to Yellowstone four or five times sense then. Camped at different spots & haven't seen a single bear. Oh the good old days, or am I dating myself.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

Just reserve as soon as you can after that date. Sites don't fill right away.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We just made reservations at Fishing Bridge in March for our trip this May.
weekendRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
We are headed there in June and I tried to get a spot at Fishing Bridge last June. They were all booked up at the 40' sites. If you know the dates book as soon as they allow. You can always cancel.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
We are headed there in June and I tried to get a spot at Fishing Bridge last June. They were all booked up at the 40' sites. If you know the dates book as soon as they allow. You can always cancel.

We have a 32' so that may make a difference in availability. I hadn't thought of that!
weekendRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Any idea what it costs to cancel? A cursory Google didn't turn anything up.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #8

We go up there about once a year, not far for us. We rather stay at the grizzly RV in west Yellowstone, MT just 3 miles outside the west gate. For RVs we like it better and full hookups.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

How is driving a 40 foot Motorhome through YELLOWSTONE?
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
We go up there about once a year, not far for us. We rather stay at the grizzly RV in west Yellowstone, MT just 3 miles outside the west gate. For RVs we like it better and full hookups.
I'm kind of torn. Yellowstone is a long ways away for us (2 day+ drive), so we won't be going there very often. Fishing Bridge has full hook-ups, but the reviews I read are pretty mixed. It's "location, location, location," but then the sites are packed together, the roads are rutted, no cell, no internet, etc., etc. Grizzly looks like a great campground within walking distance of a little town with lots of amenities, but it's not IN Yellowstone. Since this is our first time to Yellowstone and I have teenage kids, I figured the "full, in-park experience" might be best for maybe 4 or 5 days. Not sure.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Question about Yellowstone reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Any idea what it costs to cancel? A cursory Google didn't turn anything up.

From my reservation email.
" Deposits and Cancellations: All reservations require an advance deposit. Your deposit will guarantee your reservation for the first night of your stay. Deposits are refundable if reservations are cancelled at least 48 hours prior to the designated check-in time. Confirmed reservations will be held for late arrival on the first night of your stay. A $15 non-refundable fee will be charged for any changes or cancellations that occur less than 30 days prior to arrival or during your stay. For cancellations made within two days of arrival, the cancellation fee will remain at an amount equal to the deposit amount. If you fail to arrive or contact our reservations office by 10:00 a.m. of the next day, your entire reservation will be cancelled and applicable cancellation fees applied. "

For our upcoming trip I have a reservation at both Grizzly RV park and at Bridge Bay which does not have hookups or showers. Most likely we will just stay at Grizzly, this will give our teenage and college girls a chance to make use of the facilities. Wifi and full hookups.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
From my reservation email.
" Deposits and Cancellations: All reservations require an advance deposit. Your deposit will guarantee your reservation for the first night of your stay. Deposits are refundable if reservations are cancelled at least 48 hours prior to the designated check-in time. Confirmed reservations will be held for late arrival on the first night of your stay. A $15 non-refundable fee will be charged for any changes or cancellations that occur less than 30 days prior to arrival or during your stay. For cancellations made within two days of arrival, the cancellation fee will remain at an amount equal to the deposit amount. If you fail to arrive or contact our reservations office by 10:00 a.m. of the next day, your entire reservation will be cancelled and applicable cancellation fees applied. "

For our upcoming trip I have a reservation at both Grizzly RV park and at Bridge Bay which does not have hookups or showers. Most likely we will just stay at Grizzly, this will give our teenage and college girls a chance to make use of the facilities. Wifi and full hookups.
Thanks for the cancellation info. Seems pretty lenient.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean1255 View Post
How is driving a 40 foot Motorhome through YELLOWSTONE?

Should be no problem at all....except I wouldn't recommend it between Canyon and Mammoth. It's steep and curvy and no place to pull over and let traffic backed up behind you to go by. Beautiful drive though, do it in your toad. During peak season (June-August) traffic can be a problem with idiots parking in the road. Don't worry about the bison (not buffalo) as they don't attack anything much bigger than 30 ft.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

I fail to understand what folks have against Fishing Bridge. I've seen worse RV parks everywhere than this. No, you can't get internet from your site unless you have your own hotspot and then, not 100%. However, it's a very short walk to where you can get it. Ask when you arrive. It would do the whole family some good to get away from the internet for a couple days though. Get to know each other! There are also showers available. This is a national park and you're lucky to have hookups. This is supposed to be a different 'experience' based on nature so they're not going to pamper you with 'resort' amenities. I'd highly recommend staying in the park itself for those experiences. Here are some photos of 'the parking lot'.

Fishing Bridge RV Park | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Also, someone asked if it's o.k. to drive a 40' MH through the park. Yes it is very doable as a drive through but don't count on finding many parking spaces.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote