Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

Question about Zion camping sites

I am planning my cross country trip out west. If someone could provide me an opinion on campgrounds at Zion National park, I would appreciate it. We have a 32 foot motorhome and will be flat towing a Honda CRV. Which campground do you feel is better, Zion canyon campground or Zion river resort RV campground. We have a dog and I am concerned with leaving her in the rv too long with the heat in September. I understand that Zion canyon campground is closer to Zion for touring and the shuttle. I have also read reviews that Zion river rv resort is actually a nicer campground and a bit less crowded. Would you suggest we stay our 4 days at Zion canyon or Zion river resort or split the stay 2 days at each. Thanks in advance.
Daybreaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
A little off-topic but may be of interest!

FYI....if you can get into the Watchman campground in section A or B they have water and power and are within walking distance to the shuttles that go throughout the park!

We camped there a few years ago with a 36' 5th wheel and truck and fit into a spot there easily
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #3

I canít respond to which one is better but I have reservations at Zion River Resort for late May.

Have you called to see if either one has a space for you.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #4

Watchman campground IN the park itself is the very best. You're going to have difficulty touring national parks if you bring the dog. They aren't allowed everywhere and not on the shuttles.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make your reservation asap, no matter which park. Zion (Watchman) is, essentially, already booked for the season.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Make your reservation asap, no matter which park. Zion (Watchman) is, essentially, already booked for the season.
????

I just looked and there are sites in July and lots of available sites in August & Sept.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
????

I just looked and there are sites in July and lots of available sites in August & Sept.
Yep - hottest time of the year there. Thatís why spaces are available.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #8

We stay at the quality inn right before the entrance. No matter where you stay you will make it work and Zion is one of the most beautiful places on earth..
Old 04-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
????

Maybe we're looking at different sources. On Recreation.gov, I'm showing nothing for a 32' MH thru August and September except for some sporadic single night spots in September. Recreation.gov shows nearly every available site with a "R". I've been trying myself to get a site at Watchman, but with no luck. Fortunately, I do have a back-up reservation at Zion Canyon Campground. However, if you've got a way to a reservation at Watchman, please let me know.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
However, if you've got a way to a reservation at Watchman, please let me know.
This is what I'm seeing:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/c...?tab=campsites

Oops... sorry ... but I created the link when the 'available' showed but the link didn't come out that way.

I did this: I clicked on the box 'Open for Season' 'continue to booking' and used the arrow to the month of July, Aug, Sept. It took a few seconds for the 'A' available sites to appear. I didn't put in any RV size. I just wanted to see if any sites are available. I didn't look at the sites for size. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #11

Nothing was available at Watchman. I was able to get the other two but need to cancel one of them. Thank you
Old 04-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #12

Yes, that is what I am understanding now. That is why I am asking which of the two cg I mentioned is the best. Zion canyon is closer to the park of the two. I know well have to leave her while we are on the shuttle and that makes me nervous. I can have the a/c running but I am always fearful of problems or outages with the a/c
Old 04-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
This is what I'm seeing:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/c...?tab=campsites

Oops... sorry ... but I created the link when the 'available' showed but the link didn't come out that way.

I did this: I clicked on the box 'Open for Season' 'continue to booking' and used the arrow to the month of July, Aug, Sept. It took a few seconds for the 'A' available sites to appear. I didn't put in any RV size. I just wanted to see if any sites are available. I didn't look at the sites for size. Good luck!
Yeah, a number of tent and walk-up sites available, but that's about it. I've been checking every day, but nothing for a RV. Hopefully for the OP there are sites avail at the local private CG' s.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #14

I just spent 3 nights at Zion Canyon Rv Park two weeks ago.
Not much shade that I saw from trees.
The river is contaminated because of algae and not recommend to go in.
If you tow your trailer thru the park you will have to pay an additional $15 to drive thru the 1.1 mile long tunnel due to large vehicle traffic control.
Watch out for parked vehicles on the sides of the road!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping