Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Questions About MH Trip To Disneyworld

At 74, I'm a widowed male trying to complete his bucket list and it includes a first-time trip to Disneyworld. I've done a lot of reading and it appears I should first get a two-week reservation at a spot in their campground. Since I have a towed, I figure a standard space would suffice. But that's where I get lost because of all the available options. Common sense tells me that once the camping dates are secured, I should work on the special "tokens" or whatever they're called. But having never been there I'm not at all knowledgeable about what my beat up old body can take. Round and round is out but some of the coasters look like a lot of fun.

Here's the question part. Would you set up the rides along with various restaurant reservations or would you just hit it each morning at opening time and get the popular rides done then take a chance on eating?

I don't tell everyone this to get sympathy because I don't even feel sorry for myself. I've had a great life and the past 25-years as a fulltimer have been great, meeting many of you on the road. Last year I was diagnosed with terminal cancer, Stage 3 Follicular Lymphoma to be exact. I spent 2017 undergoing chemo and radiation therapy and it was the worst year of my life.

The reason I'm doing this "bucket list" is because I stopped treatment in December and decided I wanted to enjoy what time I have left rather than being incapacitated by results of my treatment like I was in 2017. I just returned to home base in Beaumont, Texas, after a six-week trek around our great Southwest, including a week in Las Vegas and a couple of shows I wanted to see. By taking my time and only moving a couple hundred miles while on the road, I had a great time.

I'm going into all this detail because I want some serious replies to my questions about Disneyworld. One of the tumors has attached itself to my lower spine, making it difficult to walk so I can't sprint all over the various parks. But by taking pain medication and using a cane, I can walk several hours with frequent rest stops. I'm just slow as a snail.

I may be biting off more than I can chew but right now I feel really good with no acute pain and no pills all day long. If you were in my situation and you've been to the Disney complex in Florida, what do you suggest?
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Contact guest services as soon as you enter the park and explain your situation. They will give you a cart and a fast pass that will make your visit 1000 times more enjoyable. You may even want to contact them ahead of time to make sure you don't need a doctors note but they can get you on all the rides you want to experience without waiting in the long lines.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #3

sounds like you've had some good adventures, and at your own pace. But, I wouldn't say that's a good 'pace' to get any real enjoyment out of a huge 'bite' as Disney World... too many people, too many things to 'stand in line' for, and if the sun's out, forget it!
I think, though, you would be much better suited for EPCO... you can take at your own 'slow' leisurely pace, as most folks do, since it's not 'ride' driven, but lot's of scenery and restaurants. Much less 'standing in line' waiting to have all your money being eaten away by the little bit of time you have there. Go slow, enjoy. It's also a lot more 'adult' driven and less 'running around' to get to every possible ride.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Hi Kit! Long time since we connected last. Man I'm so sorry to hear about your medical problems but it seems like you are doing the best you can.

When do you plan on going to Disney? There are lots of things to see and do, but like me, the fast rides are for the kids to enjoy and the slower meanful things are for us "old guys"!

Sharon has lots of ideas on Disney, and maybe we can help.

Gotta go right now, but I will contact you later.
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My hat is off to you! Yes contact guest services and use their assistance. It will be a much easier adventure for you.
We did this many years ago when my wife was recovering from breast Ca treatment and it made the experience much more enjoyable and certainly easier. She is now 15 years out and doing well.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Contact Guest Services NOW and get your reservation for FWC. The spaces get filled up in a hurry. At the same time they can help you reservations for restaurants and anything else you have questions on.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Great suggestions sofar. I would also recommend downloading the "My Disney App" to help with planning.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You sir inspire me.
I hope this trip to Disney is all and more than you can imagine.
It truly is an amazing place.
It is not uncommon for us to go to the park till about 2-3, then back and rest. Nap kinda thing.
Then back for the evening.
I prefer Disenyland to Disenyworld, just because it's the original dream of Walt.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:58 AM   #9

Sounds like your anxious and ready to go!!!!!!! I would contact a travel agent they can even assist you in getting a site and even handle dining reservations and some even will help you book your fast passes for the attractions, all at no cost to you, they receive a commission from Disney for your booking. A friend of mine is a travel agent that books Disney trips if interested PM me for his name. Good luck on what you decide and enjoy.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:02 AM   #10

If you stay at the Ft. Wilderness Campground, you really don't need a car while you are there. Buses run through the CG to the entrance and to the waterfront. From the entrance, there are regular buses to any of the theme parks and from the waterfront there is a boat to the Magic Kingdom.
There are many options for tickets, but remember that you can leave and return to the same park each day. The parks are less crowded in the morning and in the evening around supper time. We tended to get there at the opening, stay until noon and go back to the RV for an afternoon nap. Eat an early supper, or have a snack and eat later after your visit.
Others have offered advice on the fast passes etc, so I won't go into that.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Thank You All

I appreciate so much having these responses. To be honest I hadn't thought about utilizing guest services. I have a handicapped placard to hang on the mirror of my towed but my license plates for both the towed and the MH are special US Army service plates offered by Texas. Not DAV nor handicapped. And from the sound of it if I want to go in May, it could already be too late. So thanks again for your input and happy trails to all of you.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Anytime before school is out for summer is a good time
Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #13

A Bump In The Road

It seems as though I've hit one of those and will have to revisit this trip later. I can't begin to thank all of you who responded with excellent ideas. I've said it before but it bears repeating that this is by far the best RV forum out there.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #14

Watch this Youtube video. It contains a lot of information that you will find useful in how to enjoy Disneyworld and not get suckered into spending huge amounts of money doing it. Sean and Kristy are enjoying themselves and have been there enough times that they now know all the good tricks.

https://youtu.be/0D-igYMQY04

Charles