Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rancho Sedona RV Park, Sedona AZ

Rancho Sedona RV Park
Sedona, AZ

After the last few dusty RV parks that we were in, we were looking forward to Sedona, and we were not disappointed. The town itself is also just a very interesting place, due to the surrounding colorful and unique rock peaks and formations that permeate the area. Pulling into the campground the first thing I noted was the entrance road was paved, and then the roads to the sites are firmly graveled.

Our site, #82 was a back in gravel pad, and had a long and wide patio in red colored cement. Some large tall trees were at the back of the site that provided great afternoon shade. Our site also backed up to the entrance to Oak Creek. A berm separates the creek from the campground, but a well marked entrance leads you down to the water. The creek itself is about 25' wide at this point, and up to 4' deep in the middle. The water is moving pretty quickly, but wading and floating in it are possible due to a man made rock “basin” up creek about 30 yards. The water was very clear, and seeing the bottom was easy but there are large rocks covering the bottom so walk carefully if you take a dip.

Sites 76 thru 84 are the biggest sites, and there was a large grass area in back of the site as well that was open to anyone to anyone to use, and provided the access to the creek. There is reasonable room between sites, but being able to position your chairs facing backwards towards the creek made the site feel much larger. Many large trees line the creek as well providing shade, and wind break if it get gusty. There is also “Adult Only” sites if you desire.

I was impressed with the grounds crew that took care of the sites. After each guest left, they would come to rake and clean up the gravel, clean the benches and chairs, and wipe down all the hook ups.

It is pricey compared to previous parks, but they did make you feel like you were getting something for your money. We paid $75.60 a night, plus $2 a night for the dog. At least there is a grassy fenced pet area, and there are several places around the park that hold pet waste bags. Our weekly rate was $532 for the week. Dogs are allowed on the grass areas, and in the creek if you desire. For amenities the park offers a grass volleyball court, horseshoes, tether-ball, a Bar-b-Que pit, and various seating areas around the park. There is a large community fire pit in the grassy area, but due to elevated fire concerns it was not being used at this time. There is also an on site laundry room.

Our on board Wifi worked well here as we were fairly close to a tower in town. The park does offer free Wifi, but streaming isn't possible. Washing a vehicle isn't allowed, but they do allow an outside service to do it for you. I had them wash the rig the day before we left to wash away the dust and dirt from the previous parks. The service was “Gary's Mobile Wash” and cost $100 for the wash and cleaning of all windows. I was happy with the results, but the service is very busy so plan ahead if you decide to use them.

The only negative I could find was that bathrooms. While clean and usable are not particularly handicapped accessible. There is a ramp built to get into the bathroom/shower area, but once inside the shower stalls have a 2” lip, are a bit narrow and have no grab rails. The toilet stalls are wider, but also have no grab rails. The only set of restrooms is between sites 26 and 27, which was a fair distance from our site.

Sedona itself feels very upscale and is a well planned community. But there is always a few peculiarities right? Well in Sedona it's the traffic circles. Lots of em. With light traffic they work well, but on a crowded weekend they can back up and stall. Many “out of towners” just don't navigate them well. And there just isn't a way to avoid them most of the time.

There are a lot of interesting and challenging hikes to take in the area, and we did a handful of them. They can be a little underrated, as some are rated as “easy”, but still may require walking up rocky paths and over boulders. There are also many interesting specialty shops and restaurants in the area, and we tried out a few. They required masks to walk in, but once inside they could be removed.

All in all I really enjoyed the week here and would come back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_104202.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	292475   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_104247.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	292476  

Name:	20200618_134840.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	292477  
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #2

Very nice write-up, and I concur completely with your review. We stayed there several years ago and came away with the same impressions. Our only issue now is that we have a larger MH and can only fit in those beautiful spaces by the creek--and there is a limited supply. Getting reservations requires long term planning, and a bit of luck.

Great place!
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Right you are Larry, and thanks!
Old 07-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

The bottom picture is in Prescott, isn't it?

We first went to Sedona in the 1980's and it was awesome and peaceful. We've tried a few times in later years and now vow not to return. The building spree, crowds and traffic turned us off.

We stayed at the state park in nearby Cottonwood.

Glad you had a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The bottom picture is in Prescott, isn't it?

We first went to Sedona in the 1980's and it was awesome and peaceful. We've tried a few times in later years and now vow not to return. The building spree, crowds and traffic turned us off.

We stayed at the state park in nearby Cottonwood.

Glad you had a good trip!
OH man, you caught me! That's Point of Rocks RV park in Prescott! I had both pics in one folder, I should have opened up instead of going by the number

This is the pic I was trying to grab. It's a pic of the creek that runs down behind the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130214.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	292515  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
OH man, you caught me! That's Point of Rocks RV park in Prescott! I had both pics in one folder, I should have opened up instead of going by the number

This is the pic I was trying to grab. It's a pic of the creek that runs down behind the campsite.
LOL! I have the exact same picture of the creek in my photo album from our trip too!

We also have stayed at Point of Rocks and loved it as well. Not the same experience as Sedona, but nice, quiet, and the sites are tucked away.

Guess great minds and handsome faces think and act alike
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #7

We really enjoyed our stay at Rancho Sedona.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

Sedona, AZ

We have stayed there many times, usually the day after Christmas an are there for a week. We’ve had snow, heavy rain, flooding and also beautiful days. We usually go to see the lights and decorations at Talakipaki.they put on a great show.
Thanks, Mike n Mary
miklosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Guess great minds and handsome faces think and act alike
... make that pretty faces
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #10

Nice review. I'll add to it with our first-hand experience. We visited Rancho Sedona and of course Sedona four years ago. So fell in love with the place that we live here full time (when not out RVing) now. Traffic sometimes, yes. But the locals learn how to avoid it for the most part. And Sedona has what it calls SIM (Sedona In Motion) under design/construction now, intended to alleviate some of those backups. AZ sure does love its round-abouts.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #11

if you want to see traffic circles try AZ 260 between fort verde and cottonwood. the traffic circles are there, they just forgot to connect them to the non-existent cross streets.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #12

Thanks for posting the review. We have reservations Oct 25 - Nov 5. Stayed in Camp Verde last year and made our reservation for this year after visiting the park. Not a resort, but we are not resort people. Seems perfect for our needs.
Keeping my fingers crossed that we make it out.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I was just at Rancho Sedona this past weekend, July 10-12th. It was my very first trip when I got my first RV seven years ago, and to this day it's still my favorite campground. Lots of rules that can make some campers feel restricted, but I feel that the rules are what keeps the parks so relaxing & serene. I do believe the fire pits aren't allowed to be lit because of a city ordinance year round, cause I was able to use my charcoal grill over the weekend.
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #14

Rancho Sedona RV Park, Sedona AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our first RV View Post
.......I do believe the fire pits aren't allowed to be lit because of a city ordinance year round, cause I was able to use my charcoal grill over the weekend.

Not a city ordinance. County and Fire District fire ban due to hot dry conditions (i.e. fire danger).
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park